Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM

45 posts, read 136,245 times

Advertisements

I mean, the city's official murder rate per 100,000 is 21.2, which is very high, as it puts Philly in the (notorious) Top 10 in the country among cities with over 250,000 people.

But, the FBI itself warns against using sheer numbers to make direct comparisons between cities, so I'd like to know first-hand just how bad the crime really is in Philly (and I assume it is pretty bad, outside of North Philly. Is it worse than Chicago and/or Baltimore?

Let me add that I really like Philly as a city, and would move there tomorrow if it had less crime.

Last edited by mark7; 06-19-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
I'd say it's roughly comparable to those two. Good and bad areas in all three.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Its as bad as the numbers suggest. They don't lie.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
I think it depends on what kind of crime you're talking about. Crime maps I've seen show a ton of crime in Center City, but that's because it's the most heavily trafficked area of the city, so there's a high volume of small-time thefts and whatnot, but it's obviously a completely different environment than North Philly. West Philly and South Philly have their trouble spots I guess, but I don't think they're as bad as North Philly.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I think it depends on what kind of crime you're talking about. Crime maps I've seen show a ton of crime in Center City, but that's because it's the most heavily trafficked area of the city, so there's a high volume of small-time thefts and whatnot, but it's obviously a completely different environment than North Philly. West Philly and South Philly have their trouble spots I guess, but I don't think they're as bad as North Philly.
north philly has the most trouble spots but parts of south philly, particularly southwest, can be pretty bad..same with west philly.
frank-the stats don't lie but they also don't tell you everything. they do say that philly is less dangerous than baltimore and mroe dangerous than chicago but chicago has a few neighborhoods on the most dangerous neighborhoods list, philadelphia has none. think about that for a minute, for all the talk about north philly, no part of north philly made the most dangerous neighborhoods list. since chicago has a lower crime rate and worse neighborhoods, it means that the good portions are either better than the good portions of philly or greater in proportion, thus resulting in a lower average. it also means that the bad neighborhoods must be really frigging bad. there are also decent parts of north philly. It would be nice to see the homicide rate drop to under 15 but 19/20 is better than near 30 which is what it was not too long ago.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,109 times
There are lots of bad neighborhoods outside of North Philly.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
north philly has the most trouble spots but parts of south philly, particularly southwest, can be pretty bad..same with west philly.
frank-the stats don't lie but they also don't tell you everything. they do say that philly is less dangerous than baltimore and mroe dangerous than chicago but chicago has a few neighborhoods on the most dangerous neighborhoods list, philadelphia has none. think about that for a minute, for all the talk about north philly, no part of north philly made the most dangerous neighborhoods list. since chicago has a lower crime rate and worse neighborhoods, it means that the good portions are either better than the good portions of philly or greater in proportion, thus resulting in a lower average. it also means that the bad neighborhoods must be really frigging bad. there are also decent parts of north philly. It would be nice to see the homicide rate drop to under 15 but 19/20 is better than near 30 which is what it was not too long ago.
The murder rate per 100,000 is currently on track to be 15.3 for this year.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Should also add that the murder rate per 100,000 in Center City was 0. Numbers don't lie, right Frank? Other crimes aren't that big of a deal in places not North Philadelphia, not far West Philadelphia, and not Southwest Philadelphia. There is a fair amount of crime in Center City, but it isn't a big deal compared to the amount of people who are in Center City everyday. So yeah, crime in Philadelphia can sure be a problem if you move into a crime-filled neighborhood. That is rather obvious, though.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The murder rate per 100,000 is currently on track to be 15.3 for this year.
I don't want to count any chickens before they've hatched but I hope its not an anomaly but a new normal ... only time will tell

Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I don't want to count any chickens before they've hatched but I hope its not an anomaly but a new normal ... only time will tell
I wouldn't be surprised if it were an anomaly, or that we at least end up with something between this year and the last five years. With such a drastic drop, I can't expect another drastic drop next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia