Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anybody has noticed that getting a burger, fries and a drink is costing close to $10. Try 5 Guys Shake Shack or even Chick-fil-a. At the same time I can eat at Chili's for about the same price, may be a little more. $5 is all I am prepared to pay for fast food. I don't know what is at work here? There is a lot of talk about raising the min wage but that hasn't happened here yet and in any case nobody is paid min wage anyway. You can still get decent lunch for $5 so may be those $10 fast food burger joints will get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
beef prices are at multidecade highs. I would make the case that you may be mixing up "fast" with low quality. 5 guys and shake shack arguably taste better and offer better quality than chili's, they just provide the "fast" experience...perhaps there's little reason to go to chili's anyway. you can still get a decent lunch at shake shack for the same price, just be careful what you order. don't get the special items at SS, just get a regular old cheeseburger

Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
If you think eating a $12 burger meal at 5 Guys in a noisy mall is the same as eating at a restaurant is the same, then be my guest. I can still get a pub quality burger and waffle fries at Champps, complete with china and silverware, for $10. Yes, the final bill is perhaps closer to $15 but that is the price for being served in a nice surrounding.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
As mentioned, food prices are high right now due to the drought in CA and other factors. Plus there is such a thing as inflation. Is $5 for two food items and a drink a realistic expectation for what prepared food should cost in 2013?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
As mentioned, food prices are high right now due to the drought in CA and other factors. Plus there is such a thing as inflation. Is $5 for two food items and a drink a realistic expectation for what prepared food should cost in 2013?
At the Dominican corner store Hoagie/cheesesteak-$2.75, Chips-$.25, Drink-$1.00

Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 AM

192 posts, read 160,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If you think eating a $12 burger meal at 5 Guys in a noisy mall is the same as eating at a restaurant is the same, then be my guest. I can still get a pub quality burger and waffle fries at Champps, complete with china and silverware, for $10. Yes, the final bill is perhaps closer to $15 but that is the price for being served in a nice surrounding.
Champs? Chilis? "Nice surrounding"? Yikes

Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM

204 posts, read 389,103 times
Perhaps part of the reason casual sit-down is so cheap is because many of the restaurants are suffering from competition with fast-casual. Or maybe because they can pay employees low wages since they're expected to receive tips?

One of the nice things about Philly seems to be that you can get great food from local shops for the same, if not lower, prices as the fast-food and fast-casual chains. Also, with the exception of good but overpriced fast-food like Shake Shack, most of the drive-through type restaurants in the city are abysmal compared even to the same chain in other areas. Not sure why this is, probably something to do with franchise ownership and management, but at least it's helped me prioritize ordering from local small businesses rather than running out to McDonalds or Taco Bell for fast, cheap food. I do wish we could get In-N-Out in Philly though... nothing here comes close to the value of their burgers.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I've eaten at five guys for less than $5. If I were gonna go to a restaurant to have a burger that cost that much I'd pick a better one. didn't champs go bust on market east? they offered blaring tv's and substandard food.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Wendy's value menu. I can get a burger, baked potato and a small chili for cheap. It covers all the food groups too - meat, starch and fat.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
And think about it what it would be if they raised minimum wage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: