Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I think I saw a pic of it. wasn't that train station across from city hall?
yes, there's a picture of it at the new dilworth. it the headhouse was across broad st from city hall (hence the name of the station). broad st for its part wrapped around city hall just like on the eastern side. 15th st traveled west of the headhouse where the tracks actually started, under it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Overall I like it. I can't wait to see the ice skating rink in winter. I know the local news will be all over that.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Overall I like it. I can't wait to see the ice skating rink in winter. I know the local news will be all over that.
So I wonder will this ice skating ring decrease the number of ice skaters at Penn's Landing once the winter starts

Old 09-13-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So I wonder will this ice skating ring decrease the number of ice skaters at Penn's Landing once the winter starts
I doubt it. There's enough people for both skating rinks.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I doubt it. There's enough people for both skating rinks.
But since the one in front of city hall is brand new and will get more attention I expect to see less people at Penn's Landing.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I took another look. It's starting to grow on me. I can see that creating a "plaza" and not a "park" somehow flatters City Hall - doesn't detract or compete with the Tour de Force of opulent Victorian Second Empire architecture of the landmark building. The building is on display in all it's majesty from west Market Street ... which is why it does not look as grand from either South Broad or East Market ... too many other buildings blocking it and cluttering up the view.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
But since the one in front of city hall is brand new and will get more attention I expect to see less people at Penn's Landing.
Oh well, more room for me. I'm not complaining

Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I took another look. It's starting to grow on me. I can see that creating a "plaza" and not a "park" somehow flatters City Hall - doesn't detract or compete with the Tour de Force of opulent Victorian Second Empire architecture of the landmark building. The building is on display in all it's majesty from west Market Street ... which is why it does not look as grand from either South Broad or East Market ... too many other buildings blocking it and cluttering up the view.
Yea I honestly kind of love it and this is the main reason why. City hall is my favorite building in the world.

My only complaint is that the water element is too large. I assume the water element takes up the exact same footprint as the ice rink but I think that is unnecessary, would find better implementation as more seating area for a larger cafe. Luckily expanding the size of the cafe and shrinking the water element to add seating are two changes that can easily be applied down the road. You would lose that extra seating in the winter but that's fine as less people will want to sit outside when it's 40 degrees.

Overall I love it though. It looks absolutely beautiful so far and can't wait to see the finished product. The bar is set high for the redesigned love park.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Yea I honestly kind of love it and this is the main reason why. City hall is my favorite building in the world.

My only complaint is that the water element is too large. I assume the water element takes up the exact same footprint as the ice rink but I think that is unnecessary, would find better implementation as more seating area for a larger cafe. Luckily expanding the size of the cafe and shrinking the water element to add seating are two changes that can easily be applied down the road.

Overall I love it though. It looks absolutely beautiful so far and can't wait to see the finished product. The bar is set high for the redesigned love park.
Oh Love Park is being revamped too?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Oh Love Park is being revamped too?
yup.

PlanPhilly | Love Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia