Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM

204 posts, read 389,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think the majority of people would flyout of Newark, NJ.
Newark International is still over an hour away from the Bucks County towns mentioned. The only way Bucks County would be potentially convenient to an airport is if you drive to Trenton and then take Amtrak to Newark, which could work if you live somewhere like Yardley which is close to Trenton to minimize driving time. But Doylestown, New Hope/Lambertville, etc. are much further from Trenton.

Maybe the OP does not actually need to be as close to an airport as I'm imagining, in which case Bucks County towns would be good options. But as a frequent business traveler, I would consider living anywhere over an hour from an international airport a major hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM

48 posts, read 65,673 times
My dearest, dearest Leon2014,

I live one block over from the borough of Swarthmore in a township named Springfield. I am an avid walker and enjoy many evenings of walking around the various areas surrounding my house. These areas include Springfield north up to Broomall, west to Swarthmore and Wallingford (aka Nether Providence), east to Upper Darby and Clifton Heights, and south through Morton and Rutledge to Ridley. Your assessment of risk in this area is quite incorrect. These are stable and safe areas with occassional snipets of minor legal infractions involving a small burglary or automobile break-in. I have been on the Swarthmore campus many evenings enjoying the gardens and walkways.

Given that I am an older gentleman of 6'8" and 250 pounds, it would be expected that I would be a prime target for thugs and other undesirables to attack me to prove their manhood. Despite this, I have rarely been confronted by such miscreants (even when I wander down to the other side of the tracks on MacDade Boulevard). Similarily, during my walks I have not seen more vunerable individuals such as women or older persons look nervous around me. Perhaps that is because I have my iPhone headphones on and usually sing out loud as I walk (quite badly I must say).

The original poster was looking for an area with very specific requirements and a substantial budget. The areas which seem to meet those requirements would be the western suburbs from Radnor & Lower Merion down through Haverford, Newtown, Upper Providence, Nether Providence, Swarthmore and points thereabouts. There are also attractive alternatives for such a budget in the quite pleasant and upscale areas of Chester Heights, Thornbury, Edgemont, and Concord. All of these places also offer highly-rated and strong school districts for the wee ones.

Thank you for pointing out the proximity of less desirable areas for us. During this Lenten season when we are under obligation to fast and give alms to the poor around us, the proximity of the poor to our homes will make the journey to help them less cumbersome and daunting.

May God bless you Leon2014.

Last edited by DonegalGuy; 03-05-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
Newark International is still over an hour away from the Bucks County towns mentioned. The only way Bucks County would be potentially convenient to an airport is if you drive to Trenton and then take Amtrak to Newark, which could work if you live somewhere like Yardley which is close to Trenton to minimize driving time. But Doylestown, New Hope/Lambertville, etc. are much further from Trenton.

Maybe the OP does not actually need to be as close to an airport as I'm imagining, in which case Bucks County towns would be good options. But as a frequent business traveler, I would consider living anywhere over an hour from an international airport a major hassle.
Absolutely. I didn't have the idea that they would be traveling weekly in mind when I suggested Bucks. I grew up in the area. Believe me I know how much of a pain it is to have to take 32/29 just to get to 95 or some other ridiculous way to get to some other highway ha. I like the Yardley idea, Newtown is good too.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
Sorry, no. Not semi-dangerous, but THE MOST DANGEROUS CITY IN THE NATION. That's a fact. It's only 3 miles away.

There might not be any murders inside Swarthmore itself, but it is very unpleasant to live close to extremely poor and violent areas. Unless you stay indoors and don't drive on the roads, go to malls, go to parks, then that's fine.
Chester is small, secluded, and almost a complete non factor outside its minuscule 5 sq miles. You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Swarthmore/Media and Delaware County.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

178 posts, read 258,437 times
Another factor to consider is the wider area. South and south-east Philly suburbs are near very depressive places like Baltimore and Wilmington. Living north of the city you are in the sphere of Princeton, NYC, and west NYC suburbs. Much more thriving area in terms of entertainment and potential jobs.

If you want to travel to the shore in the summer, there are much nicer places in the north that are visited by the public from NYC. South NJ beaches are Atlantic City and Wild Wood. Moderator cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-05-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Less than complimentary characterization.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM

48 posts, read 65,673 times
Dear Leon2014,

Your timely departure from our forum would not be an unwelcome act and would bring much joy and happiness to others.

Thank you.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 17,602 times
Despite how tense this discussion has become, I do appreciate it. It proves people are passionate about their communities, suggestions and reasons. To specify, we reside in Cupertino. There is little to no sense of community, pride or belonging here. Small pockets do exist, but in general it's a very individualistic society. Minus the occasional crime of theft, it's extremely safe here. The comments about Swarthmore being undesirable have sparked discussions in our home. For all potential towns, I hadn't considered proximity to places like Chester, Camden, etc and how that may impact a quality of life.

I didn't think to specify a maximum distance to PHL. In theory, any place other than Reading feels closer to PHL. In reply to the posters listing distances to PHL, it's very helpful. West coast/international travel appears to be about once every 4-5 weeks right now. We do need to realistically consider distance/time though.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonegalGuy View Post
Your timely departure from our forum would not be an unwelcome act and would bring much joy and happiness to others.
Let's not make it personal old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonegalGuy View Post
Given that I am an older gentleman of 6'8" and 250 pounds, it would be expected that I would be a prime target for thugs and other undesirables to attack me to prove their manhood.
Don't tell me where to go and I won't tell you where to go with your senile delusions of fighting thugs that are after you.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1980 View Post
For all potential towns, I hadn't considered proximity to places like Chester, Camden, etc and how that may impact a quality of life.
Please take all these recommendations here with a huge grain of salt. You can see that there are people defending their neighbourhoods and there is a clear bias and denial of basic facts, like the distance to a major airport, or distance to #1 most dangerous city in the country.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
Another factor to consider is the wider area. South and south-east Philly suburbs are near very depressive places like Baltimore and Wilmington. Living north of the city you are in the sphere of Princeton, NYC, and west NYC suburbs. Much more thriving area in terms of entertainment and potential jobs.

If you want to travel to the shore in the summer, there are much nicer places in the north that are visited by the public from NYC. South NJ beaches are Atlantic City and Wild Wood. Moderator cut

I've never heard of "southeastern" Philly suburbs. Do you mean South Jersey?

It sounds like you're more of a fan of North Jersey and New York City than Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore. While those latter three cities are certainly not "perfect" by any means, IMO you're painting them over with a rather broad brush. Debating the availability of jobs in Philly proper vs. its suburbs (which arguably include Wilmington) is one thing. When it comes to entertainment options, however, Philly more than holds its own compared to most major cities. Very few can keep up with the Big Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia