Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times

Advertisements

I was in Philly for about 6 hours just walking the streets; parked on 8th and Market.

It seems like everyone was packed into the Reading Terminal Market? Where are the people?
I wasn't expecting the madhouse that NYC is but the streets were kind of empty? I was raised in Brooklyn and Brooklyn's even more dense in some of the quieter neighborhoods.

Philly definitely has most of the big city amenities but not the density and general craziness. Intriguing to this NY'er.
Your sub shops at the $10 price point are definitely better than anything we have.

I was dumbfounded when I entered the Kimmel center and was free to roam the place. Imagine doing that at Lincoln Center. lol

Oh, and your homeless are weirdly nice wishing me a good day and all. I genuinely felt bad for them.

I'll definitely visit again. It's a nice change of pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:35 PM

135 posts, read 175,398 times
You don't earn a Bachelors after one class and you don't learn much about a city after six hours.

I'm not even from Philly nor do I live there, but next time I would try spending more than six hours on a Sunday to get a good idea of what its like.. It's a hell of a lot busier than you've experienced.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
How about you not visit on a Sunday?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
How about you not visit on a Sunday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
You don't earn a Bachelors after one class and you don't learn much about a city after six hours.

I'm not even from Philly nor do I live there, but next time I would try spending more than six hours on a Sunday to get a good idea of what its like.. It's a hell of a lot busier than you've experienced.
It was a Saturday. With beautiful weather.

If it's not busy on the weekend then when is it busy?
Is all of Philly like the financial district on a weekend in NYC? I covered a lot of ground in 6 hours; where are the people?

Go to NYC on Monday, Tu, We, TH, Fr, Sa, Su and there are a **** ton of people all over.

Philly seemed kind of boring. That doesn't necessarily mean bad. There's just no comparing Philly and NYC.
NYC is just on a whole other level.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
You visited on a week-end in the summer. Everyone has gone to the jersey shore or the Poconos.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
You visited on a week-end in the summer. Everyone has gone to the jersey shore or the Poconos.
lol

Old 08-09-2015, 11:30 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
It's a hoagie, not a sub.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It was a Saturday. With beautiful weather.

If it's not busy on the weekend then when is it busy?
Is all of Philly like the financial district on a weekend in NYC? I covered a lot of ground in 6 hours; where are the people?

Go to NYC on Monday, Tu, We, TH, Fr, Sa, Su and there are a **** ton of people all over.

Philly seemed kind of boring. That doesn't necessarily mean bad. There's just no comparing Philly and NYC.
NYC is just on a whole other level.
A lot of Philadelphians go to the Jersey shore on weekends in the summer. Come back on a week day.

And, yes, we know there's no comparing Philly to New York. We live with that fact, okay?

You didn't cover a lot of ground in 6 hours because I bet you didn't go to University City, South Philly/Passyunk Sq, Northern Liberties, or Fishtown. Hell, I bet you did even make if past the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Guaranteed traffic is in between city hall and rittenhouse square. There is actually less people on the streets in general during the summer because the colleges mostly clear out. Also quite often even saturdays are less busy than the week days because most people go to the shore etc.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
I beg to differ. I am Philly resident and Saturday from about 1pm-6pm I was in Center City. I parked at 11th and Chestnut (Jefferson) and met a friend for a late lunch at 7th and Chestnut, walked all through Independence Park and Washington Square then down to Old City and looped back up through Society Hill. People everywhere especially by all the touristy stuff at Independence Hall (a ton of Asian tourists) I was actually getting annoyed with the amount of people everywhere.

So I find it hard to believe that the streets were "empty"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia