Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 AM

283 posts, read 327,824 times

Advertisements

Please stay in New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 PM

135 posts, read 175,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
you'd get a run for your money on that statement. Boston. (lived there too, met hubby there)

Philadelphia is ahead of Boston. Birthplace of the country and more inventions/firsts there.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Well, Tokyo can gladly snuff their nose at NYC because the streets are clean enough to roll around naked on and the crime rate is incredibly low despite having double the people!
I've been to Tokyo twice. I found plenty of "dirty" neighborhoods were you wouldn't want to go rolling around naked in. Unless you want to smell like sushi.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Hi,

I began reading the thread because I was thinking about moving to Philadelphia. Then I observed most members of this forum who are from Philly pounced on the OP because he wrote the streets weren't that busy when he visited. Now, being from NY originally I know that New Yorkers can be quite rude because of the daily stress of living in NY, but what is a Philadelphian's excuse? Gosh, no one even disagreed that Philadelphian streets are comparatively empty, so why pounce on the OP for the observation? You could have simply agreed and were glad that the OP enjoyed the visit to the City of Brotherly Love.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Hi,

I began reading the thread because I was thinking about moving to Philadelphia. Then I observed most members of this forum who are from Philly pounced on the OP because he wrote the streets weren't that busy when he visited. Now, being from NY originally I know that New Yorkers can be quite rude because of the daily stress of living in NY, but what is a Philadelphian's excuse? Gosh, no one even disagreed that Philadelphian streets are comparatively empty, so why pounce on the OP for the observation? You could have simply agreed and were glad that the OP enjoyed the visit to the City of Brotherly Love.
Well frankly the op deserved whatever he/she got given their use of the word sub instead of hoagie.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Hi,

Philadelphians are sometimes thin-skinned. Even innocent "slights" like the OP's can be taken the wrong way.
We, too often, take a defensive stand because of being the butt of jokes for decades and/or self-inflected negativity. Even with all of the local history that most Philadelphians are aware of, there's still a "little brother" mentality in Phila.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM

283 posts, read 327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philadelphians are sometimes thin-skinned. Even innocent "slights" like the OP's can be taken the wrong way.
We, too often, take a defensive stand because of being the butt of jokes for decades and/or self-inflected negativity. Even with all of the local history that most Philadelphians are aware of, there's still a "little brother" mentality in Phila.
There is no little brother complex. Most Philadelphians don't care about NY yet many NYers have a weird obsession with us. You guys can stay in your city, we'll stay in ours and that can be that

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-16-2015 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: fixed your inappropriate language

Old 08-16-2015, 06:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
There is no little brother complex. Most Philadelphians don't care about NY yet many NYers have a weird obsession with us. You guys can stay in your city, we'll stay in ours and that can be that
I'd definitely argue it is the other way around. A lot of New Yorkers believe (and I guess rightly so) that New York is the center of the universe. It is the most important city on Earth, which means it overshadows everything in its orbit, including Philadelphia. I'd say most NY'ers relatively ignore Philadelphia, but Philadelphia feels NY because of the constant comparisons and it often coming out below the behemoth that is New York.

That doesn't make Philadelphia a bad city though by any means. I've said it a million times, it is unfair to compare anywhere except London, Tokyo and maybe Paris to New York.

Philadelphia has a lot of stuff going for it, but I definitely think it still very much lives in New York's shadow and feels it. Yet they are very intertwined and need each other, geographically, economically, etc. I believe the busiest rail corridor in the entire United States is the Amtrak/NJT/SEPTA tracks between Manhattan and Center City.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-16-2015 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Philadelphia has a lot of stuff going for it, but I definitely think it still very much lives in New York's shadow and feels it. Yet they are very intertwined and need each other, geographically, economically, etc. I believe the busiest rail corridor in the entire United States is the Amtrak/NJT/SEPTA tracks between Manhattan and Center City.
I've said it several times:there's no way to avoid not living in NYC's shadow since the cities are only 90miles apart.

No other two major American cities are that close together.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I've said it several times:there's no way to avoid not living in NYC's shadow since the cities are only 90miles apart.

No other two major American cities are that close together.
Well, Baltimore & DC come to mind. Way less than 90 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia