Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC still retains its soul and character in a good number of neighborhoods even in Northwest contrary to the little sensationalism going on in this thread, but some of them are indeed undergoing a constant assault by the gentrification overkill wave, just like New York, Boston, and San Francisco. It's basically like a new form of colonialism going on. You guys up in Philly better hope it doesn't happen to you either.
Other threads have brought up the NE part of Phila which have various neighborhoods which will never experience gentrification because either it's not needed or they won't attract the kinds of people who push gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 117,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
DC to me is not a place that makes me think positively about gentrification.

agreed, I HATE it when a city booms and old buildings are renovated, new ones go up on vacant lots as in-fill, tons of more people move in and add vitality, crime goes down. Oh, the horror!!!!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
DC still retains its soul and character in a good number of neighborhoods even in Northwest contrary to the little sensationalism going on in this thread, but some of them are indeed undergoing a constant assault by the gentrification overkill wave, just like New York, Boston, and San Francisco. It's basically like a new form of colonialism going on. You guys up in Philly better hope it doesn't happen to you either.
DC is a unique animal being the seat of empire. people have been criticizing DC for its lack of soul and character for as long as it has existed

Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
I was writing with a bit of hyperbole. I agree that there is still a lot of character and tons of vibrancy in DC, but development trends definitely do threaten the organic, economically diverse nature of cities, particularly as it relates to local, small businesses. DC is definitely not unique in that regard, either. This has been well-documented in New York City: Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: NYC Before & After

Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlydubs View Post
agreed, I HATE it when a city booms and old buildings are renovated, new ones go up on vacant lots as in-fill, tons of more people move in and add vitality, crime goes down. Oh, the horror!!!!
yep, it's all great until you and yours and things you value are getting pushed out.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Ignorance at its finest.
How? Philadelphia does not have the high-paying jobs base that those other three cities do. That is a fact, and doesn't mean Philadelphia is any less than those other three cities, but it can't attract top people when the jobs they need aren't as readily available here.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
How? Philadelphia does not have the high-paying jobs base that those other three cities do. That is a fact, and doesn't mean Philadelphia is any less than those other three cities, but it can't attract top people when the jobs they need aren't as readily available here.
Let's see your numbers or facts as you say.

You are delusional if you think Philadelphia doesn't have a high paying job base or "ultra high net worth individuals" as so many on this site are so strangely obsessed with.

I believe Philly actually has more Billionaires than DC but only a shallow or boring person cares about it IMO.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
In the city proper, while there is certainly a high of white collar jobs, I think you're point is that there aren't as many proportionately compared to benchmark cities. While that is true, it's important to keep in mind that the Philadelphia metro area, still unbeknownst to many, has one of the highest concentrations of white collar jobs in the US, based on per capita and raw numbers, even surpassing major metro areas like New York, LA, and Chicago (per capita).

See ranking here: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...nkings-of.html

Not bad for a post-industrial area.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
In the city proper, while there is certainly a high of white collar jobs, I think you're point is that there aren't as many proportionately compared to benchmark cities. While that is true, it's important to keep in mind that the Philadelphia metro area, still unbeknownst to many, has one of the highest concentrations of white collar jobs in the US, based on per capita and raw numbers, even surpassing major metro areas like New York, LA, and Chicago (per capita).

See ranking here: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...nkings-of.html

Not bad for a post-industrial area.
Yes you said better than what I was trying to say. I was only referring to the city proper, not the metro area. When I pointed that out, people seemed to assume that because of this, it made Philadelphia a "less-than" city then the others. I was simply pointing out that Philadelphia will not gentrify at the rate, or to the extent, of the wealthier cities on the Northeast Corridor. In many ways, this will keep Philly more diverse and more interesting than places that everybody but the rich and rent-controlled have been pushed out.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Yes you said better than what I was trying to say. I was only referring to the city proper, not the metro area. When I pointed that out, people seemed to assume that because of this, it made Philadelphia a "less-than" city then the others. I was simply pointing out that Philadelphia will not gentrify at the rate, or to the extent, of the wealthier cities on the Northeast Corridor. In many ways, this will keep Philly more diverse and more interesting than places that everybody but the rich and rent-controlled have been pushed out.
So let's end this once and for, bloody, all: Some areas/neighborhoods in the city do not need gentrification. And,thank God, if it did happen in those place! as you suggest above, it would impact the very soul of those places.

I was in DC for the first time in a year yesterday. Sure all the cranes look impressive, but the stuff being built is some of the ugliest structures I've ever seen. Boring. Lack-luster. No style. Eh..... The height limits do not help but there is no inventiveness at all in any of the buildings I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia