Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:32 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Everybody loves Society Hill ... I can't wait to move there.
One of Center City's loveliest neighborhoods but also its most strictly residential. There's a small commercial district near its center and Head House Square at its southeast corner, but otherwise you won't find corner stores like those that exist in every other city neighborhood; that was a legacy of Ed Bacon's urban renewal plan for the neighborhood, the one that landed him (deservedly IMO, despite criticism of his vision from both Jane Jacobs while he was alive and Yours Truly after his death) on the cover of Time in 1966, the only city planner ever to attain that honor.

Everyone I've met who lives here in Germantown loves it too. Many of them are working hard to restore its faded glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I just got home from Manhattan yesterday from visiting my uncle who lives up there. It's true ... whenever I told folks I live in Philly they had only positive things to say about The City Of Brotherly Love.
It makes me happy to hear that. I just met a group of girls today at a rooftop bar in Meatpacking and they were mentioning their recent trip for a wedding at the Rittenhouse Hotel and how fun it was. When Manhattanites love Philly then you know the city is doing something right.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:27 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Quote:
Why is it comical coming from me? Explain ... and please don't (yet again) embarrass yourself by screeching 'racist!,' ye who holds his nose high around the natives.

RE: Public schools - Your last sentence is the only thing here that isn't falsely blaming 'others.' Either way, fact is, they're still rancid.

Query: What town did you abandon for Philadelphia?
Because you are, by far, the most judgmental person on this board, that's why.

Everything I said about the public school is a fact. It just doesn't fit into your narrow minded, head in the sand narrative.

I come from New England.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It makes me happy to hear that. I just met a group of girls today at a rooftop bar in Meatpacking and they were mentioning their recent trip for a wedding at the Rittenhouse Hotel and how fun it was. When Manhattanites love Philly then you know the city is doing something right.
OT kinda.... you can see a couple of those bars from the outdoor decks of the Whitney Museum. So where is this bar?

As far as New Yorkers are concerned....the number of NY license plates I see around CC is constant. They are definitely a presence her for whatever reason.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:33 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Because you are, by far, the most judgmental person on this board, that's why.

Everything I said about the public school is a fact. It just doesn't fit into your narrow minded, head in the sand narrative.

I come from New England.
And your "blame someone else" narrative is spot on. Yawn ... Is that what helps with the guilt? You need to learn - just because YOU say it's so, it doesn't make it so.
Anyway, where did I judge anybody here? Try explaining yourself instead of just throwing a temper tantrum ... Plus, you yourself judged an entire group of people - Philadelphia natives. Talk about 'narrow-minded.'

BTW, New England is not a town.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 05-08-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM

33 posts, read 28,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Negadelphian:

So when I read the term that a poster in another thread used in reply? I had to actually LOOK THE TERM UP.

The Urban dictionary gave this:
Originally, a fan or follower of the Philadelphia-based professional sports teams who refused to celebrate the two Stanley Cup championships won by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1974 and 1975 on the grounds that hockey should not be considered a "major" sport; today, a Philadelphia sports fan who is either unduly pessimistic about one or more of the local teams' immediate prospects, or one who strenuously disagrees with the policies, player-personnel decisions etc., made by said team or teams.

* BUT THAT IS NOT THE COMMON USE TODAY.... Nor the context of that other posters.
As I learned further as this link gave insight too.

Byko: Some stats to startle Negadelphians

Some key sentences defining it as ----> PHILADELPHIANS SELF-NEGATIVITY OR INFERIORITY of their city. NOT by OUTSIDERS PERCEPTIONS. But by their own residents.
- the long-standing emotional feeling that Philly can't catch a break and gets everything wrong.
- For quite a long time, people in the city believed that it was appropriate to have an inferiority complex compared to other destinations.
- Philly's major selling point was being located between New York and Washington and the Jersey Shore. "We didn't have the confidence to say we merit coming directly to Philadelphia."

Philadelphia's Inferiority Complex Might Be Fading | The Philly Post | News | Philadelphia Magazine

^^^ Has our ingrained pessimism finally bottomed out? That would be pretty astounding for a city that once had to put up billboards that said “Philadelphia isn’t as bad as Philadelphians say it is.”

Seems it takes actual good economic news to counterbalance it and Philadelphia reviving from CC outward. So being labeled a "Negadelphian" - by other locals NOT ACKNOWLEDGING PHILLY'S RENEWAL? Is it FAST DIMINISHING?

~ OR IS IT MERELY LESS TODAY? OR STILL STRONG? Are New residents lessening it? Over being a OUTDATED local way of thinking as they renew the city? A city that took such a tumble in housing stock in declines, and a late entry into gentrification. Though its Colonial Period areas of CC did pretty early too. But overall vs peer cities was late. That seemed to fuel a "Negadelphia" effect.

I'm sure other cities have their own types. But Philly has them LABELED BY A NAME and not new.
Get rid of the people whose running things: Darrell Clarke, Jim Kenney, Jannie Blackwell & others. Scrap some of the myriad of social programs this city and state provides. Why? I think that it breeds poverty. Why the people in power does not show more pride in our Eds and Meds.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
And your "blame someone else" narrative is spot on. Yawn ... Is that what helps with the guilt? You need to learn - just because YOU say it's so, it doesn't make it so.
Anyway, where did I judge anybody here? Try explaining yourself instead of just throwing a temper tantrum ... Plus, you yourself judged an entire group of people - Philadelphia natives. Talk about 'narrow-minded.'

BTW, New England is not a town.
You aren't worth a response.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OT kinda.... you can see a couple of those bars from the outdoor decks of the Whitney Museum. So where is this bar?

As far as New Yorkers are concerned....the number of NY license plates I see around CC is constant. They are definitely a presence her for whatever reason.

I was in the Meatpacking District, at Le Bain Standard, the Boom Boom Room is next door. They are located at 13th and Washington at the end of the Highline, and yes Whitney is right down the street. Meatpacking is one of my fav neighborhoods, very NYC.

Le Bain is almost a disco era type bar, where the "whose who" of Manhattan likes to hang on Sundays, (oftentimes gay). I luckily have a friend who did the interiors of Soho House and Le Bain, so I always tag along when he goes.

And yes to license plates, almost everyone I meet at these bars either knows someone who moved there/ of they like to go down to escape NYC.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was in the Meatpacking District, at Le Bain Standard, the Boom Boom Room is next door. They are located at 13th and Washington at the end of the Highline, and yes Whitney is right down the street. Meatpacking is one of my fav neighborhoods, very NYC.

Le Bain is almost a disco era type bar, where the "whose who" of Manhattan likes to hang on Sundays, (oftentimes gay). I luckily have a friend who did the interiors of Soho House and Le Bain, so I always tag along when he goes.

And yes to license plates, almost everyone I meet at these bars either knows someone who moved there/ of they like to go down to escape NYC.
Yes, I know exactly where you mean. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. Of course "Meatpacking" is pretty much a misnomer nowadays. Are you aware that back in the day many of the leather "bars" were there?

Anyhow this is all OT.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, I know exactly where you mean. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. Of course "Meatpacking" is pretty much a misnomer nowadays. Are you aware that back in the day many of the leather "bars" were there?

Anyhow this is all OT.
Wasn't the original Eagle Bar there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia