Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:30 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times

Advertisements

I was just up in the hometown last week and drove through some side streets to get back to the airport. I notice that all the cars are parked perfectly neatly, no one's cockeyed or half up on the curb or jutting out into the street. And VERRRRY close together. My question is, HOW does everyone manage to do that? I get anxiety when I have to parallel-park. I always wanted to live in Center City but I think that parking situation would completely stress me out.

Also, do you get a lot of dings, front or back, because people have to fit into such tight spaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 12:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
In Thailand I've seen cars parallel parked so close to each other, within inches, that I could never figure out how they did it. I was just going by bus looking at the sidewalks so I never saw a car parallel park to see how they did it but it was amazing compared to the US where most cars have plenty of space between cars.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
My experience with London, where cars are smaller, dings are inevitable. That's why I avoid parallel parking especially for long periods. I once parallel parked in London and I got sandwiched such that I couldn't leave. From my experience, some drivers don't mind dinging cars when parallel parking. I don't know if it's this bad here in Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I was just up in the hometown last week and drove through some side streets to get back to the airport. I notice that all the cars are parked perfectly neatly, no one's cockeyed or half up on the curb or jutting out into the street. And VERRRRY close together. My question is, HOW does everyone manage to do that? I get anxiety when I have to parallel-park. I always wanted to live in Center City but I think that parking situation would completely stress me out.

Also, do you get a lot of dings, front or back, because people have to fit into such tight spaces?

Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

When I was driving and parked in my neighborhood, I had to LEARN how to do that. You really have to angle the car in just the right way. It takes skill no doubt about it. Eventually I learned how to judge the amount of space that was in the available spot. I learned whether my car could fit into it. If it was too small, I moved on because you do not want to waste time or hold up someone who may pull up behind.... folks are likely to start honking if you take too long.

I actually got good enough at it that it would take me about 5-8 or so minutes to angle, back up and in, get close enough to the curb and straight out the car. You will likely touch someone's bumper but not hard enough that you ding it with marks, scrape paint or make dents.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:28 PM

9,344 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
My experience with London, where cars are smaller, dings are inevitable. That's why I avoid parallel parking especially for long periods. I once parallel parked in London and I got sandwiched such that I couldn't leave. From my experience, some drivers don't mind dinging cars when parallel parking. I don't know if it's this bad here in Philly.
While it does happen, I don't think it's quite so bad here.

What does frustrate me is the number of drivers who think nothing of clipping parked cars' side view mirrors and going on their merry way.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:01 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
When I was driving and parked in my neighborhood, I had to LEARN how to do that. You really have to angle the car in just the right way. It takes skill no doubt about it. Eventually I learned how to judge the amount of space that was in the available spot. I learned whether my car could fit into it. If it was too small, I moved on because you do not want to waste time or hold up someone who may pull up behind.... folks are likely to start honking if you take too long.

I actually got good enough at it that it would take me about 5-8 or so minutes to angle, back up and in, get close enough to the curb and straight out the car. You will likely touch someone's bumper but not hard enough that you ding it with marks, scrape paint or make dents.
I used to be really good at it, but (1) age happened and I can't turn my neck that well, and (b) I have a (small) SUV which obviously is bigger than a regular car, but it's hard to see out those side windows. It has a backup camera but I don't think it's that user-friendly. And having to hold up traffic would really stress me out!

Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM

333 posts, read 282,921 times
It's really simple: The more you do it, the better you are at it. City residents are typically good at it because we have to be; our daily parking depends on it.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 AM

288 posts, read 244,980 times
Agree with above; repetition and practice makes perfect. Lived in Ardmore for 1 year and kinda lost it, but moved back into the city 2.5 years ago and it came back. I am a boss at it with my large sedan (Passat). Having parking sensors and back-up camera certainly help.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

When you parallel park in a (small) spot, are you saying you keep trying until you get the right angle, or you are able to go back and forth and inch your way into the spot or to see that you can't?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Lol, try learning how to drive in NYC where your road test is on the city streets ��.
I can squeeze my car in spaces that didn't even know they were spaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia