Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 04:10 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
This isn't something that's right or wrong.
Right, the thread has provided plenty of anecdotal evidence that members of my family weren't the only ones to say "Wannie's." How widespread that usage was remains an open question, but unless kyb01 thinks everyone on the thread is lying, it is an expression that some people have used, or heard used, and it's not even that difficult to scare up some of those people.

Funny that this thread has turned into a discussion of that nickname, but I have to admit the original post fails to fully live up to the promise of the thread title, anyway. It's mostly just a very lazy book review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 PM

377 posts, read 667,338 times
My Uncle was a Wanamaker's VP up until it was sold to L&T in 1997 and he NEVER, NEVER called it "wannie's", even over informal Sunday family gatherings. My Aunt, however, sometimes used the term with her friends, including my Mother, when her husband wasn't around. He wasn't shy about chastising anyone who used it.

Last edited by acenturi; 08-01-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
My Uncle was a Wanamaker's VP up until it was sold to L&T in 1997 and he NEVER, NEVER called it "wannie's", even over informal Sunday family gatherings. My Aunt, however, sometimes used the term with her friends, including my Mother, when her husband wasn't around. He wasn't shy about chastising anyone who used it.
It's me being snob I suppose but I actually find it disrepectful to refer to it as " Wannie's" . John Wanamaker was a pioneer American retailer and marketer. He deserves much more than people using some nickname for his store(s).

Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's me being snob I suppose but I actually find it disrepectful to refer to it as " Wannie's" . John Wanamaker was a pioneer American retailer and marketer. He deserves much more than people using some nickname for his store(s).
Your not liking it doesn't mean it didn't/doesn't happen. It reminds me of Jeff Lurie who complained about people calling Lincoln Financial Field "the Linc." He may not have liked it, but guess what? It didn't stop anybody.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Well, to get back to the larger question of Wanamakers' (I note that when the store was referred to as a possessive, the possessive 's was not used) influence:

John Wanamaker is generally considered the father of the American department store as we came to know it. His first store, the "Grand Depot," took over a Pennsylvania Railroad freight depot that sat on the site of the present-day Wanamaker store/Wanamaker Building in 1871.

Now, that's three years after Justus Strawbridge and Isaac Clothier established their dry goods store a little ways to the east on Market Street, so I'm not exactly clear on what differentiated the two establishments. Perhaps the Grand Depot carried items other than "dry goods" (clothes, bed linens, bath towels, etc.)?

He is also the pioneer of fixed pricing for all (haggling over prices used to be American practice too, as it still is in many bazaars in the Levant and elsewhere) and the inventor of the money-back guarantee. In the 1980s, when Carter Hawley Hale (later Broadway-Hale) Stores owned the chain, the entrances to Wanamaker stores bore the founder's own quote over his famous signature:

"We will refund your money or exchange the goods if they do not please the folks at home!"

He was also an early adopter of newspaper display advertising as a means of promoting the store and what it offered. He had a good quote on that too:

"I know that I waste half the money I spend on advertising. Trouble is, I don't know which half!"

Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Your not liking it doesn't mean it didn't/doesn't happen. It reminds me of Jeff Lurie who complained about people calling Lincoln Financial Field "the Linc." He may not have liked it, but guess what? It didn't stop anybody.
Both my parents were born and raised in Philly, and I was born there but grew up in a close in suburb. I NEVER heard Wanamakers' referred to as "Wannies" by any family, friends, neighbors, etc. I'm not saying that nobody called it that, but I would think I would have heard that growing up. And yes my mother used to drag me there as a kid, and to Strawbridges, Lit Brothers, and Gimbels.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, to get back to the larger question of Wanamakers' (I note that when the store was referred to as a possessive, the possessive 's was not used) influence:

John Wanamaker is generally considered the father of the American department store as we came to know it. His first store, the "Grand Depot," took over a Pennsylvania Railroad freight depot that sat on the site of the present-day Wanamaker store/Wanamaker Building in 1871.

Now, that's three years after Justus Strawbridge and Isaac Clothier established their dry goods store a little ways to the east on Market Street, so I'm not exactly clear on what differentiated the two establishments. Perhaps the Grand Depot carried items other than "dry goods" (clothes, bed linens, bath towels, etc.)?

He is also the pioneer of fixed pricing for all (haggling over prices used to be American practice too, as it still is in many bazaars in the Levant and elsewhere) and the inventor of the money-back guarantee. In the 1980s, when Carter Hawley Hale (later Broadway-Hale) Stores owned the chain, the entrances to Wanamaker stores bore the founder's own quote over his famous signature:

"We will refund your money or exchange the goods if they do not please the folks at home!"

He was also an early adopter of newspaper display advertising as a means of promoting the store and what it offered. He had a good quote on that too:

"I know that I waste half the money I spend on advertising. Trouble is, I don't know which half!"
I remember reading in history books that John Wanamaker and Marshall Field brought the department store concept to the US. Strangely enough, if you remember the PBS series, Mr. Selfridge, he took the Americanized version back to Europe when he opened Selfridges in London.

I think that the difference between a dry goods and a department store was that the department store had some food and at least one restaurant, as well as perfumes, jewelry, leather goods.

I remember when Wilmington Dry Goods expanded into a chain. It was clothing, curtains and draperies, bedding, etc. It had everything made with cloth. I can't speak for the 19th century versions, though.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Correct. I don't like it. I stated why.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Both my parents were born and raised in Philly, and I was born there but grew up in a close in suburb. I NEVER heard Wanamakers' referred to as "Wannies" by any family, friends, neighbors, etc. I'm not saying that nobody called it that, but I would think I would have heard that growing up. And yes my mother used to drag me there as a kid, and to Strawbridges, Lit Brothers, and Gimbels.
It's funny how this has turned into another argument when I'm pretty sure the OP did not intend that.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Yep.. used to go to all three of those..Wannamakers was always the best though.. I used to love the childrens department and the train that used to run around suspended from the ceiling while your parents shopped below... that was in the 70s..... Used to shop at Strawbridges up through my teens.. that was when The Gallery was in vogue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia