Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 12:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance001 View Post
Philadelphia is a small city. I could drive all around Philadelphia in a few hours where as I couldn't do that in Los Angeles. Philadelphia is even smaller when you consider that you have to stick to the areas that are safe and clean to even walk freely in.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-woman/185252/
LA has a homeless "camp" near city hall. Just saying. There are also 60, 000 homeless people and counting in LA county.

Your pov is basically trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 07:16 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The "blue collar town" remark is just so cringe-worthy and old-fashioned.
I know, I shouldn't even bother arguing with posters like that. After the La comparison, its clear we have a troll on the loose, even DavePa agrees lol.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I disagree with most of what you said, but this is absolutely true. As someone big on nightlife, Philadelphia's isn't all that great, and IMO, has gotten worse. The Gayborhood, which used to be great, has been watered down as straight people have realized it isn't so scary to be around the gays anymore. When I started going to Woody's in 2012, it was 90% a gay male bar. Now, it's become nothing more than a drunken bachelorette stop with rainbow flags outside. The same goes for Voyuer. It used to be a great late-night club to go dancing in. It always had a few straight people, but it was always mostly gay. Now it's mostly straight, and sorry, but the care-free attitude that makes dancing in a club fun is always ruined by straight people who come in with an entirely different attitude then the gay guys who made the club great in the first place.

In the 1990s, Philadelphia used to be home to one of the biggest circuit parties in the world, the Blue Ball. That fizzled out in the early 2000s, and it wasn't until the last few years that Boys of Summer began bringing circuit parties back to the city for days like OutFest and Pride. Philadelphia doesn't really have any kind of party scene, which is really unfortunate. That is not to even mention the fact that Philadelphia has none of the rave culture, techno/EDM scene, and underground party culture that exists in a place like New York or LA. I mean, no one would expect Philly to have the magnitude that those cities do, but it should at least have something.

After 5 years of continuously going out in Philadelphia, it just got old and stale. There wasn't the variety that you find in New York, and not much really changed. It all just stayed the same, or in many cases, got worse. People can talk about the death of New York nightlife all they want, but on any given weekend there are a million different options of all varieties to choose from. That's not true at all of Philadelphia.

If you just like bars, then Philly is your city. If you want a unique, dynamic, ever-changing scene to be a part of, Philly is way down the list.

Philadelphia is a top notch city is many respects, and they've been mentioned here, but nightlife is not one of them.
I agree the Gayborhood is not what it used to be, but outside of New York, LA and Miami most American cities are pretty tame. I think DC and Chicago have a bit more going on from a party / lively nightlife standpoint, but I don't consider them to be leaps and bounds ahead of Philadelphia. (Vegas is excluded for various reasons).

I have also spent significant time in Boston, Dallas, Atlanta and none of those stand out from Philadelphia. SF has the castro, but beyond that, its another normal nightlife city.

I think Philadelphia's nightlife is geared more toward college people at this point, and the dining scene is now catered more toward well to do / foodie people.

Lastly, I don't think any American city should be compared to New York because New York virtually crushes every city in the world in every category.

Regardless, that poster clearly has an agenda and their credibility is slipping away with each post they make...

Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Even NYC is kind of boring this time of year due to the shorter days and colder weather. I enjoyed NYC a lot more in June than I did in November. So it's the same with Philly. Can I go and have dinner on the roof top at circa green and eat outside now? NO. Is it better to do that in June? Yes.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
I think it's just symptomatic of a change in style. Millennials now dictate what kind of venues thrive. I've never met one that is actively looking for a house music rave club. Just because we're a little older and have fond memories of those times doesn't mean they are sustainable, nor does it define the "fun level" of a city. Just like certain club drugs (i.e. ecstasy and MDMA) have fallen out of favor, so have the environments in which those were common-place.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree the Gayborhood is not what it used to be, but outside of New York, LA and Miami most American cities are pretty tame. I think DC and Chicago have a bit more going on from a party / lively nightlife standpoint, but I don't consider them to be leaps and bounds ahead of Philadelphia. (Vegas is excluded for various reasons).

I have also spent significant time in Boston, Dallas, Atlanta and none of those stand out from Philadelphia. SF has the castro, but beyond that, its another normal nightlife city.

I think Philadelphia's nightlife is geared more toward college people at this point, and the dining scene is now catered more toward well to do / foodie people.

Lastly, I don't think any American city should be compared to New York because New York virtually crushes every city in the world in every category.

Regardless, that poster clearly has an agenda and their credibility is slipping away with each post they make...
You forgot New Orleans. Never forget New Orleans. Austin, too.

I had my bachelor party in Philly. It was a blast. I puked a lot the next morning.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:

Not Chicago

Old 12-18-2019, 11:01 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:

Hmmm, 20something gay people talking about how Phila.'s Gayborhood isn't what is used to be. Well, you don't know what it used to be because you weren't even born. I'm talking about in the 80s when there were 3 women's bars( one funnily was in Fishtown) a private member's only women's bar/club, monthly women's parties. All of that pretty much disappeared as AIDs really gripped the community and it didn't seem right to ignore it and go on partying even for women who were unaffected. MarketEl moved to Phila. during that time so, dunno, what he would say.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Not Chicago
Not sure what your short comment was to mean? Just taking it as Chicago's isn't a Part-scene place?
Being Chicago's Boystown ? It is still a Gay bar and club scene. Still plenty of bars. But got much more pricey as more LGBT neighborhood as fully as it was. More moved North like the Andersenville neighborhood.

Last time I was there already 3or4-years ago.... staying at a Hostel just south. Halsted St in Boysytown was full of life and bars and shops as it was for decades. A piano bar I liked was gone though.

But also Social media has replaced more using bars and clubs for meeting people. That s the biggest reason some have lost more of their scene and becoming a much more mixed Straight also neighborhood over merely the LGBT Mecca. Large Jewish population too.

Boystown (a sub neighborhood of Greater Lakeview as Wriglyville is a sub-neighborhood of it too)
Still is billed by - ChooseChicago for tourism. As a party-scene night-long hot-spot.

https://www.choosechicago.com/neighborhoods/boystown/

From link:
- The oldest officially recognized gay neighborhood in the United States. It’s known for its welcoming vibe, nonstop nightlife, LGBTQ-owned businesses, and excellent dining options.
- Nightlife scene, where you’ll find karaoke parties, drag shows, dance floors, dive bars, and more.

Perhaps Philly's Gayborhood predates it? But Chicago's did get the officially recognized title. Philly's is in CC. But Chicago's is a 3 or 4 so miles North of its CBD.

Both cities areas are top neighborhoods of the cities that are very pricey.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, 20something gay people talking about how Phila.'s Gayborhood isn't what is used to be. Well, you don't know what it used to be because you weren't even born. I'm talking about in the 80s when there were 3 women's bars( one funnily was in Fishtown) a private member's only women's bar/club, monthly women's parties. All of that pretty much disappeared as AIDs really gripped the community and it didn't seem right to ignore it and go on partying even for women who were unaffected. MarketEl moved to Phila. during that time so, dunno, what he would say.
I get your point, but change happens in the 21st century too - 2010-2020.

I don't see how its any different than comparing the Gayborhood from 1980-1990 or 1990-2000.

The gayborhood in 2020 is more or a less a collection of bars and dance venues with rainbow flags out front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia