Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 05:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Welcome (back)!
Well, they will just create another account. Really pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 07:33 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I wasn't sure whether to post in Phila2035 or here, but seems more related to this topic.

There is a discussion on a Philadelphia development FB group about the recently revised tax abatement. Many people (including myself) think the reduction was a mistake and now a new repercussion (the virus) could really hinder development.

Permits awarded by end of year 2020 will fall under the former 10 -ear abatement. Anything after is under the revised plan.

In light of the unfolding situation, does anyone think its fair to extend the 10 year abatement another year since many projects and developers are inevitably stalled due to the pandemic. The plan would be for the mayor to issue an amendment for a 1-year extension of the former abatement.

Does anyone think that is fair?
Do people think it will gain traction?
Who might propose that amendment?

Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wasn't sure whether to post in Phila2035 or here, but seems more related to this topic.

There is a discussion on a Philadelphia development FB group about the recently revised tax abatement. Many people (including myself) think the reduction was a mistake and now a new repercussion (the virus) could really hinder development.

Permits awarded by end of year 2020 will fall under the former 10 -ear abatement. Anything after is under the revised plan.

In light of the unfolding situation, does anyone think its fair to extend the 10 year abatement another year since many projects and developers are inevitably stalled due to the pandemic. The plan would be for the mayor to issue an amendment for a 1-year extension of the former abatement.

Does anyone think that is fair?
Do people think it will gain traction?
Who might propose that amendment?
As I was opposed to altering the original abatement, I'd be fine with that, but the new Council members got elected by criticizing the abatement as a big break for the rich, and I don't think that any education campaign to explain who really benefits (the builder, which means construction jobs) would succeed at persuading the electorate.

Ergo, I see it gaining little traction - unless this situation lasts long enough to severely damage the economy, which I think it might - even will.

The person who I think would be most amenable to introducing such an amendment is the one Realtor on the current Council, Allan Domb (D-at large) - who, in his previous position as head of GPAR (the Greater Philadelphia Association of Realtors), proposed offering a 20-year tax abatement to new construction homes valued at $250k or less.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
Didn't Governor Wolf classify RE sales and associated activities as non-essential services and should be stopped.

My fear is that most people are optimistic about this epidemic which tells me that it's going to be far worse than we think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"I don't think it's going to hurt the market as much as put it in a coma for a little bit." --Drexel's Kevin Gillen

Has Coronavirus Changed the Real Estate Market? | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Didn't Governor Wolf classify RE sales and associated activities as non-essential services and should be stopped.

My fear is that most people are optimistic about this epidemic which tells me that it's going to be far worse than we think.
You're probably right on that last sentence, but:

He hasn't prohibited virtual work. Offices must stay closed, but agents can arrange private showings and virtual open houses without having to go into the office. I even spoke with one agent/rehabber who is closing sales entirely online. The city's Recorder of Deeds office remains open, which is why this can happen.

So much of the real estate sales process now takes place online that this may simply accelerate the shift.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
This is not allowed. People should not be going into homes for viewings. Which tells me there is still a lot of complacency even among professionals hence my statement on it may get much worse than we think

Quote:
You're probably right on that last sentence, but:

He hasn't prohibited virtual work. Offices must stay closed, but agents can arrange private showings and virtual open houses without having to go into the office. I even spoke with one agent/rehabber who is closing sales entirely online. The city's Recorder of Deeds office remains open, which is why this can happen.

So much of the real estate sales process now takes place online that this may simply accelerate the shift.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
As I was opposed to altering the original abatement, I'd be fine with that, but the new Council members got elected by criticizing the abatement as a big break for the rich, and I don't think that any education campaign to explain who really benefits (the builder, which means construction jobs) would succeed at persuading the electorate.

Ergo, I see it gaining little traction - unless this situation lasts long enough to severely damage the economy, which I think it might - even will.

The person who I think would be most amenable to introducing such an amendment is the one Realtor on the current Council, Allan Domb (D-at large) - who, in his previous position as head of GPAR (the Greater Philadelphia Association of Realtors), proposed offering a 20-year tax abatement to new construction homes valued at $250k or less.
I had a conversation with Mr. Brooks on FB and he mentioned that developer Ori Fiebush sees momentum for an amendment gaining traction after the initial focus of shutting down construction is over. And as you mentioned, the biggest issue is most of council isn't so friendly (or educated) toward the abatement.

If some council members, the mayor, and industry and building trades push for it, then the chance is there. But this is all a day by day situation. But when you look at the bigger picture, does extending the full abatement for 1 more year really hurt the "progressive" council members agendas? I think after this they have bigger issues to tend to, might as well let construction handle itself by extending the full abatement through 2021.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:53 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I had a conversation with Mr. Brooks on FB and he mentioned that developer Ori Fiebush sees momentum for an amendment gaining traction after the initial focus of shutting down construction is over. And as you mentioned, the biggest issue is most of council isn't so friendly (or educated) toward the abatement.

If some council members, the mayor, and industry and building trades push for it, then the chance is there. But this is all a day by day situation. But when you look at the bigger picture, does extending the full abatement for 1 more year really hurt the "progressive" council members agendas? I think after this they have bigger issues to tend to, might as well let construction handle itself by extending the full abatement through 2021.
Yeah, but the council isn't thinking about doing what is best for their constituents or the city in general. They are in office simply to milk the system and achieve individual gain. They are literally one of the more corrupt groups of public officers that I've ever seen or even heard about.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I have a family member dealing with something that is just a reminder that even as we all deal with the coronavirus....the OTHER issues people have had haven't gone away and still need to be dealt with.

In one relative's case it's respite care for 24-hour care-givers for loved ones with Alzheimer's.

My brother was all set to get his father in law signed up and on the list for a Medicaid nursing home slot...and now they can't go visit nursing homes to get the dad into one.

The elderly dad has Alzheimer's, won't sleep, is damaging the house (not actively, but by default, by spilling coffee, hiding food all over the house, not using the bathroom properly, putting things down drains, etc).

My brother is the 24 hour care giver, and is beyond exhausted -- and aggravated. At this point they'd just appreciate some respite care.

They have been working with PCA. And while that's been helpful......the paperwork, the evaluations, the "hurry up-and-wait, then wheels turn slowly" aspect to the entire process has really by quite frustrating.

They don't know when they'll be able to get the dad into a longterm care facility now.

My heart just goes out to him -- and others in this position.....

Old 03-22-2020, 12:50 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I have a family member dealing with something that is just a reminder that even as we all deal with the coronavirus....the OTHER issues people have had haven't gone away and still need to be dealt with.

In one relative's case it's respite care for 24-hour care-givers for loved ones with Alzheimer's.

My brother was all set to get his father in law signed up and on the list for a Medicaid nursing home slot...and now they can't go visit nursing homes to get the dad into one.

The elderly dad has Alzheimer's, won't sleep, is damaging the house (not actively, but by default, by spilling coffee, hiding food all over the house, not using the bathroom properly, putting things down drains, etc).

My brother is the 24 hour care giver, and is beyond exhausted -- and aggravated. At this point they'd just appreciate some respite care.

They have been working with PCA. And while that's been helpful......the paperwork, the evaluations, the "hurry up-and-wait, then wheels turn slowly" aspect to the entire process has really by quite frustrating.

They don't know when they'll be able to get the dad into a longterm care facility now.

My heart just goes out to him -- and others in this position.....
As someone who did go through this process it's exhausting even under normal circumstances. So I absolutely understand the mental and physical trauma involved. We didn't use the PCA we hired a elder law attorney to handle all of the particulars. But, of course, that route is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia