Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 07:26 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/protes...-neighborhood/

Two seperate groups yelling at each other. One side calling themselves 'old fishtown' while the other calling themselves the 'new fishtown'. Both sides stupid.
An example of both sides not having brains... Leftist or rightist does not mean you are right or wrong. And a great point Sandy brought up, you can support the movement and protests and condemn the violence and looting, it doesn't have to be a one or the other scenario.

Not to get off topic, but I wonder what 2020 would be like right now if Hillary had won in 2016, I am gonna go out on a limb and say things would be better.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to get off topic, but I wonder what 2020 would be like right now if Hillary had won in 2016, I am gonna go out on a limb and say things would be better.

It certainly makes you wonder where the world would be now.

Biden is about to give speech at City Hall in 15 minutes.

I was a little surprised that Gov. Wolf didn't give a press conference yesterday, but he did survey a lot of the damage in West Philadelphia.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I was a little surprised that Gov. Wolf didn't give a press conference yesterday, but he did survey a lot of the damage in West Philadelphia.
I did see he was in Philadelphia yesterday (sort of secretly).

I think at this point, Governors, mayors, senators, etc. are the people who need to speak up and do what they can to heal and unite people since our President is incapable of that.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM

712 posts, read 701,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I walked down to the protest yesterday, it's not far from my house.

One problem I noticed is organization for a lack of a better description. so they walked to the art museum, took a knee and then not sure what the agenda was supposed to be? it seem like a lot of people milling around. any time you get that scenario some thing is bound to turn ugly.

Can we post a video, I have some cell phone pics and video from my spot? I pretty much keep to the back of the Rodin museum.
Lack of organization is the correct description. The civil rights leaders of the ‘50s and ‘60s figured out, and subsequent research on media coverage and white voting habits has confirmed, that the most effective way to turn white opinion somewhat in favor of black civil rights was to bait law enforcement into violence while not responding violently themselves. They chose places to march, sit-in, etc. where they anticipated law enforcement would respond violently. It takes tremendous organization and discipline (and courage) to use that strategy effectively. Unfortunately peaceful protest where the police don’t respond with violence gets less media coverage and doesn’t do much to change white opinion, the protestations of white people notwithstanding.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Lack of organization is the correct description. The civil rights leaders of the ‘50s and ‘60s figured out, and subsequent research on media coverage and white voting habits has confirmed, that the most effective way to turn white opinion somewhat in favor of black civil rights was to bait law enforcement into violence while not responding violently themselves. They chose places to march, sit-in, etc. where they anticipated law enforcement would respond violently. It takes tremendous organization and discipline (and courage) to use that strategy effectively. Unfortunately peaceful protest where the police don’t respond with violence gets less media coverage and doesn’t do much to change white opinion, the protestations of white people notwithstanding.
Wish I could rep you more, BR. This is spot on. With all of the courage black leaders and people are taking on now, all we ask of the media is honest and fair coverage. It is not much to ask.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:

Biden’s speech was everything a President should be saying at this time. It makes me long for change.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Biden’s speech was everything a President should be saying at this time. It makes me long for change.
5 months away is the chance.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

899 posts, read 540,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
An example of both sides not having brains... Leftist or rightist does not mean you are right or wrong. And a great point Sandy brought up, you can support the movement and protests and condemn the violence and looting, it doesn't have to be a one or the other scenario.

Probably much the same.

COVID-19 would still have broken out with similar results and deaths. It's laughable to think HRC would have somehow blocked it from spreading across America. Any difference might be a more severe shutdown, but with no change in the actual outcome (106+k deaths). 40 million people still lose their jobs, including a majority of younger working people (the same demographics as the protesters and rioters).

Riots would still have happened because it's what happens when you throw millions of young working people out of work with nothing to do.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:13 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder how the King of Prussia area would've handled all these protestors and looters near their stores.
King of Prussia here. Our curfew is 8 PM, dad, the almost retired deputy was called, but since he was going on vacation, nope. However, his colleagues are patrolling the mall. They already broke into some stores, ravaged a Hooters. We're trying to keep everyone as calm and peaceful as possible. Our PD has released statements that we're an ethnic community and everyone is valued here. So far, knock on wood.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Probably much the same.

COVID-19 would still have broken out with similar results and deaths. It's laughable to think HRC would have somehow blocked it from spreading across America. Any difference might be a more severe shutdown, but with no change in the actual outcome (106+k deaths). 40 million people still lose their jobs, including a majority of younger working people (the same demographics as the protesters and rioters).

Riots would still have happened because it's what happens when you throw millions of young working people out of work with nothing to do.
HRC wouldn't have had an impact on the quality of management of COVID or the riots in Philadelphia. We would have had Kenny and Outlaw allow widespread destruction regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia