Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 05:16 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

A federal judge struck down the transportation mask mandate.

Masks are no longer required on modes of transportation; planes, public transit, ubers, etc.

So you don't need a mask on the plane or train to Philadelphia, but you need a mask to walk into your hotel lobby... I really hope this speeds up the reversal of the city's ridiculous mandate.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:23 AM

1,170 posts, read 591,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamadworld View Post
People like you are really weird. I've never lived in Jersey in my life. I live in and am from a diverse, working class community.

That I didn't gentrify. Unlike you.

I literally just read your posts in threads I was reading before I signed up. Your paranoia is really embarrassing.

You're clearly comfortable saying a lot of things that are so untrue as to be delusional.

No, we merely see left-wing militants who are almost all white gentrifiers threatening and attacking innocent people, calling for violence against the government and everybody else, and making up stories of being victimized by right wingers in order to justify it all. Just like they did as gentrifiers in the first place. I remember their victim act going all the way back to Occupy Philly where they told sob stories embellishing the horrors of being peacefully evicted from their illegal encampment after causing plenty of damage and antagonizing cops who basically had to babysit them. I'm not sure what the Whitmer story has to do with Philadelphia exactly.

I bet you're also a fan of John "held an innocent black man at gunpoint because he mistook fireworks for gunshots" Fetterman. You totally seem the type.

TLDR recap for everyone

1) Recent pages on this thread dominating by mostly left of center folk complaining about the reinstatement of the mask mandate
2) New burner account says the left made this political, completely contradicting what numerous left wing people actually said in this very thread.
3) I call BS, give anecdotes of right wing people/groups that very much made masks not just political, but violent.

4) Soon to be banned burner account and friend go off on a tangent, posting the results of their right wing scare word mad libs. Still, not making any attempt to show how the left made this political.

Great talk

Old 04-19-2022, 06:37 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Honestly, out of all the mayors that I would consider the best, Rendell was the best, followed by Rizzo, the law and order mayor and still a major icon throughout the city, whether you liked him or not. Rizzo did make Philadelphia the safest city during the 1970's and he even let the subway system run for 24 hours and 7 days, even though I believe the system needs to have five days off for maintenance, Rizzo did that and as a transportation guy, I highly respected that.

As for black mayors, I would rank Street amongst the highest due to his relationship with the black community. He wasn't the best mayor in Philadelphia, but for accountability reasons, Street did a lot such as the Neighborhood Transformative Initiative. I used to be very critical of the project because I didn't believe that Street was doing his job but only tearing down housing and not replacing it as well as not bringing more small businesses to the city, but nowadays, with all the new housing being built around the city, much of that has a lot to do with Street, not Nutter. Street got a lot of flack from the local media, and I'll agree that Street was a racially polarizing mayor the way that Rizzo was back in the 70's, but after Street, you have to respect the man.

Goode has his good moments, such as allowing Liberty Place to be built as well as other projects such as the Old Mellon Bank Center and IBX Tower. A lot of cities went to seed during the 1980's but with Goode, at least he had the foresight to help erect those towers so a lot of businesses wouldn't further leave the city. Nutter on the other hand did the inverse which was allow businesses to leave due to the business and wage taxes which are one of the highest in the nation. Crime never really went down with him, neither, and which Kenney, it's right back up. Unfortunately, much of the murder victims are black (75%), even though blacks make up about 38%, which as a black man is sad.

[...]

I honestly feel that had Vega won, there would've a reduction of crime. Krasner is clearly not doing his job. Rendell's endorsements are usually good as gold, and the fact that Vega lost means that Rendell has lost a lot of clout in the city he helped recover. Also Vega would've been the first Latino to hold citywide office as district attorney, however most black groups endorsed Krasner, and once Krasner won, you still have the same thing going on with crime.
AFAIK, both SEPTA and predecessor Philadelphia Transportation Company (and its predecessor, the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company) ran service 24/7 for decades. Neither the private company nor the public transit agency answer(ed) to the mayor of Philadelphia. The city gets two seats on SEPTA's governing board; to compensate for the fact that they represent the jurisdiction that accounts for the overwhelming bulk of SEPTA's ridership but could be consistently outvoted by the appointees from the four suburban counties, they got veto power over Board resolutions — but prior to the addition of five members appointed by Harrisburg to the board, the veto was really meaningless, for a 2/3 vote of the Board could override it, and if the eight suburban appointees voted together (which I believe they often did and still do), they could override any city veto.

And SEPTA still runs 24/7 service, just with buses substituting for trains on the rapid transit lines between midnight and 5 a.m.

I used to say that "John Street isn't as bad a mayor as I think he is." He gets knocked still for NTI, but it's my contention that simply by improving the optics of a bunch of rundown neighborhoods, he created space for developers and investors to see potential they couldn't see before, and the city has reaped the rewards since. (Whether he spent the NTI money as effectively as he could have, however, does remain an open question.) His albatross: While he may not have been personally corrupt (we will never know definitively the answer to that question), he tolerated a lot of corruption around him.

You have the effect of Goode and Nutter on the wage tax reversed: it reached its apex during the Goode administration, during which the city reached the bottom of the greased skids towards insolvency Frank Rizzo's fiscal policies put it on (he bought labor peace by essentially giving away the store to the municipal-employee unions; one of Ed Rendell's signal achievements was clawing back some of the generous policies and practices Rizzo enacted). Nutter halted the incremental wage and/or business income tax reductions Rendell and Street had made each year, but I really can't fault him for that, as he took office right after the housing bubble burst, ushering in the Great Recession. From an ethics standpoint, no one topped him in the city's recent history.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:23 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A federal judge struck down the transportation mask mandate.

Masks are no longer required on modes of transportation; planes, public transit, ubers, etc.

So you don't need a mask on the plane or train to Philadelphia, but you need a mask to walk into your hotel lobby... I really hope this speeds up the reversal of the city's ridiculous mandate.
It's great that people finally have freedom of choice again. However, SEPTA is one one place I may continue to wear my cloth mask, as it helps to filter out the smell of marijuana and urine (though is completely ineffective at filtering out viral particles).

Old 04-19-2022, 07:26 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
I think you're being really naive if you think their attitudes are merely being oblivious. They're raised in places where they're taught that they're superior to others entirely because they come from better opportunities. Even their hatred of Republicans is thinly-veiled classism.

Absolutely it crosses political and geographical lines but it isn't a coincidence that race relations became the worst they've been in years during a time when the most privileged white people were basically invading black and brown communities that hadn't lived with white people in decades in some cases. People who unapologetically and heartlessly used every bit of their power and influence to get control of and turn communities they were not from into what they wanted them to be completely changed the racial dynamic from one where the people doing the changing were the very black and brown people now having their communities invaded. They spent the better part of the past decade doing everything they could to dismiss and delegitimize the concerns of longtime residents and demonized the communities they moved to. They weaponized "white tears" as people call it in order to silence any negative feedback or pushback they deservedly received for their attitude and actions. Then they turned around and blamed it all on Republicans, on "racist" white city natives, on developers, and on anybody else they could deflect blame onto.

Cops didn't start policing more on behalf of city natives. They didn't make longtime community members uncomfortable in certain neighborhoods on behalf of city natives. It isn't city natives doing everything they can to erase or demolish black history, intentionally or unintentionally. All of these things happen because of the very progressive gentrifiers pretending to hate the cops or developers or anybody or anything else making their existence in the city possible in the first place.
I agree that White gentrifiers may be a contributing factor to the state of race relations here in the city. However, I see the regard by too many Philly police officers as well as a plurality of suburbanites for Black and Brown Philadelphians who work or recreate in their areas playing the most significant role, not to mention non-supportive influences from Harrisburg and Washington. What is ironic, of course, is that gentrifiers and established residents alike are generally voting for the same leadership on the local level and beyond.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:42 AM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
Quote:
People like you are really weird. I've never lived in Jersey in my life. I live in and am from a diverse, working class community.

That I didn't gentrify. Unlike you.
Gotcha, I'd be ashamed to admit I moved to Marlton, too

Nothing like being a white-flighter and pretending that the real racists are the gentrifiers. Who, btw, I spend plenty of time arguing with in neighborhood meetings over dumb suburban BS. Have fun out there with the OGs!

Old 04-19-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
TLDR recap for everyone

1) Recent pages on this thread dominating by mostly left of center folk complaining about the reinstatement of the mask mandate
2) New burner account says the left made this political, completely contradicting what numerous left wing people actually said in this very thread.
3) I call BS, give anecdotes of right wing people/groups that very much made masks not just political, but violent.

4) Soon to be banned burner account and friend go off on a tangent, posting the results of their right wing scare word mad libs. Still, not making any attempt to show how the left made this political.

Great talk
We'll have to remember the classics from this burner account - "Republicans don't buy drugs" and "The real racists are whites who move into diverse neighborhoods"

Old 04-19-2022, 07:47 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
It's the woke/progressive whites who are the ones causing gentrification and inserting themselves into everything and saying dehumanizing things about people from the communities they move into or feel like talking about. They're the ones doing everything they can to push city natives of every race away from each other for their own benefit. If they think they've been "left behind" they're beyond delusional. Being able to afford houses that most people from the city could never afford and having your voice always be heard above everybody else's no matter the topic is the complete opposite of being left behind.

It's their complete lack of self-awareness, of a sense of shame, or of any kind of actual genuine compassion or understanding for others that's the biggest problem by far. They push their theories and concepts and everything else learned entirely in classrooms or some other sterile environment largely full of people exactly like them and drown out the people with actual life experience who were trying to change things for the better before "progressive" white people ever even came into the picture. They write the papers. They are beyond overrepresented in the media and in the court of public opinion. They get the government seats starting with the community organizations of places they just moved to in many cases less than five years ago, and they get catered to at every turn. Who do you think wanted bike lanes put everywhere or suburban style parks? Or "greening" of neighborhood playgrounds where kids played basketball or some other urban sport for generations? They get everything they want whenever they want it and never face consequences for their actions (have the six white college educated transplants who smashed up Center City even gone to trial yet?) yet somehow they're never happy and always want to rage about something.

Most of people's problems with "white people" are exacerbated by these self-labeled "progressive" whites constantly, yet nobody can say anything because these spoiled brats raised with no discipline or respect for boundaries or accountability are pretty much untouchable thanks to their money. Sounds a lot like smug prosperity to me.
This is an insightful analysis and one I could have written myself about my own town. This scenario has played out in every major city on the east and west coasts, at different times and to varying degrees.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:00 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Googled it. Both hires for police chief and Superintendent gives me little to no confidence. Just based off where they're coming from. Portland, and San Fra for police- two drastically different cities from Philly with spiraling crime right now.

Then Rowan-Salisbury a recovery district (failing?) in North Carolina. Native to North Carolina. And small-ish.. why would you make these hires?

Ill still visit Philly often though, but yea- no good, no good at all.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This is an insightful analysis and one I could have written myself about my own town. This scenario has played out in every major city on the east and west coasts, at different times and to varying degrees.
I've seen it play out in other ways, not really what the racist burner account has been ranting about though. For example, white "liberal" moves to the city. Expects to be able to drive everywhere. Expects that no other housing will get built. Goes to meetings and complains about bike lanes or "density". Expects every new development to have 1:1 parking, or even more. But yeah, also believes "climate change is real". Plenty of hypocrisy to go around on both sides, left and right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia