Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 01:26 PM

843 posts, read 705,257 times

Advertisements

This, you were not clear at all with this statement as it regards to white gentrifiiers who lack boundaries

"As a not-White person - your race/ethnicity is unclear - I would say that POC's issues with White people cross party and city/county lines...but gentrifying White homeowners/apartment dwellers who lack empathy and boundaries do not help".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Huh?

Old 04-18-2022, 02:09 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,234,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
This, you were not clear at all with this statement as it regards to white gentrifiiers who lack boundaries

"As a not-White person - your race/ethnicity is unclear - I would say that POC's issues with White people cross party and city/county lines...but gentrifying White homeowners/apartment dwellers who lack empathy and boundaries do not help".
Ah okay. By "boundaries", I meant how the new neighbors treat the established community. It's not uncommon for new residents to complain about established norms like, say, noisy neighborhood parties, to the point of having the police involved. Either the parties were never a problem before or the police didn't bother to respond 6to complaints until the new neighbors showed up.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 7,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Given suburban Republicans' usual aversion to the idea of city living, you may be right that it is almost exclusively the left-leaning among White people who are moving into gentrifying areas of the city. It may not uncommon for them to adopt an oblivious or condescending attitude about the established community members they are interacting with and slowly displacing.

As a not-White person - your race/ethnicity is unclear - I would say that POC's issues with White people cross party and city/county lines...but gentrifying White homeowners/apartment dwellers who lack empathy and boundaries do not help.
I think you're being really naive if you think their attitudes are merely being oblivious. They're raised in places where they're taught that they're superior to others entirely because they come from better opportunities. Even their hatred of Republicans is thinly-veiled classism.

Absolutely it crosses political and geographical lines but it isn't a coincidence that race relations became the worst they've been in years during a time when the most privileged white people were basically invading black and brown communities that hadn't lived with white people in decades in some cases. People who unapologetically and heartlessly used every bit of their power and influence to get control of and turn communities they were not from into what they wanted them to be completely changed the racial dynamic from one where the people doing the changing were the very black and brown people now having their communities invaded. They spent the better part of the past decade doing everything they could to dismiss and delegitimize the concerns of longtime residents and demonized the communities they moved to. They weaponized "white tears" as people call it in order to silence any negative feedback or pushback they deservedly received for their attitude and actions. Then they turned around and blamed it all on Republicans, on "racist" white city natives, on developers, and on anybody else they could deflect blame onto.

Cops didn't start policing more on behalf of city natives. They didn't make longtime community members uncomfortable in certain neighborhoods on behalf of city natives. It isn't city natives doing everything they can to erase or demolish black history, intentionally or unintentionally. All of these things happen because of the very progressive gentrifiers pretending to hate the cops or developers or anybody or anything else making their existence in the city possible in the first place.

Quote:
Are you saying the white gentrifiers are victimized because they wont stay in their place ?
How exactly are white gentrifiers victimized? If anything, it's the reverse. White gentrifiers are spared the consequences that white city natives are not spared, entirely because of their privileged position in life, money, and connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Masks a symbol of the left? Hardly, it is a piece of clothe you wear for a few minutes in the grocery store. Go read the general PA forum, there are people who specify they won't want to live near "maskers". The masks are politicized alright, but the arrow is pointed in the wrong direction.
Clearly not seeing how people like you demonized anybody who didn't wear them for two years.

Quote:
You are talking about different things, whether is masks were made political by the left vs a mask mandate. I am on the left, I haven't worn a mask and months and I am against the mandate. This forum is a sounding board for everyone to blame everything on the left. Did we kick your dog too? It is only the right that sees masks as some form of tyranny, as if being asked to wear clothe to buy your Mountain Dew is the greatest travesty anyone has ever faced. In Japan this is normal, as a courtesy to others, people wear masks on public transit even if you have just sniffles. But the concept of being slightly inconvenienced to product the public's health, include the elderly, is just too much for the right to handle. Inconvenience me? That is one step to the gulag!

Remember when Tucker Carlson told his viewers to treat parents that mask their kids the way they would treat parents that beat their kids? I remember, so don't tell me it is the left that has politicized this.
I see nothing but you and a handful of others blaming and demonizing the right in almost every post you make. It's like all you ever do. It's really rich for you to accuse anybody else of blaming everything on their political opponent.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:02 PM

445 posts, read 420,689 times
Sounds like someone got bored of dining at the Marlton Applebees and decided to post on the forum again

Truly unhinged rants, but kind of reminds me of this:
https://clickhole.com/fighting-gentr...-l-1825121378/

Old 04-18-2022, 06:39 PM

1,170 posts, read 603,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Sounds like someone got bored of dining at the Marlton Applebees and decided to post on the forum again

My most recent posts here weren't even political (to say nothing of the sports, Lehigh Valley and general PA threads I post in), even in this very thread. Want to make it obvious you are a previously banned account? Reference posts from before your account was even created.

In any event, I am comfortable is saying its the right that made it political. We don't see left wing militia groups trying to kidnap governors who don't support mask mandates, do we?

Old 04-18-2022, 06:57 PM

843 posts, read 705,257 times
Are you kidding me ?,,,BLM, Antifa, Left wing nutbag groups who loot, assault police and cause destruction of our cities.

Quote:
My most recent posts here weren't even political (to say nothing of the sports, Lehigh Valley and general PA threads I post in), even in this very thread. Want to make it obvious you are a previously banned account? Reference posts from before your account was even created.

In any event, I am comfortable is saying its the right that made it political. We don't see left wing militia groups trying to kidnap governors who don't support mask mandates, do we?

Old 04-18-2022, 07:25 PM

1,170 posts, read 603,347 times
And that relates to masks how?

Yeah...

Old 04-18-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post

People like you are really weird. I've never lived in Jersey in my life. I live in and am from a diverse, working class community.

That I didn't gentrify. Unlike you.

Quote:

I literally just read your posts in threads I was reading before I signed up. Your paranoia is really embarrassing.

You're clearly comfortable saying a lot of things that are so untrue as to be delusional.

No, we merely see left-wing militants who are almost all white gentrifiers threatening and attacking innocent people, calling for violence against the government and everybody else, and making up stories of being victimized by right wingers in order to justify it all. Just like they did as gentrifiers in the first place. I remember their victim act going all the way back to Occupy Philly where they told sob stories embellishing the horrors of being peacefully evicted from their illegal encampment after causing plenty of damage and antagonizing cops who basically had to babysit them. I'm not sure what the Whitmer story has to do with Philadelphia exactly.

I bet you're also a fan of John "held an innocent black man at gunpoint because he mistook fireworks for gunshots" Fetterman. You totally seem the type.

Last edited by itsamadworld; 04-18-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me ?,,,BLM, Antifa, Left wing nutbag groups who loot, assault police and cause destruction of our cities.
My personal favorite thing about leftist groups is how they're all in gentrified parts of the city. Yeah, they're totally working class

Old 04-19-2022, 04:31 AM

919 posts, read 897,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
I definitely think that Kenney was a turning point for the city, and not for the better. Ever since the 1980s, Philly had been moving in the right direction. It even managed to persevere through a shamefully corrupt Street administration. Under Kenney, however, it started moving in the wrong direction, even before Covid and the riots. It's due to the progressive liberal philosophy of pandering to the worst elements of society, something that we didn't have (at least on anywhere near to that magnitude) under prior Democratic mayors.
Honestly, out of all the mayors that I would consider the best, Rendell was the best, followed by Rizzo, the law and order mayor and still a major icon throughout the city, whether you liked him or not. Rizzo did make Philadelphia the safest city during the 1970's and he even let the subway system run for 24 hours and 7 days, even though I believe the system needs to have five days off for maintenance, Rizzo did that and as a transportation guy, I highly respected that.

As for black mayors, I would rank Street amongst the highest due to his relationship with the black community. He wasn't the best mayor in Philadelphia, but for accountability reasons, Street did a lot such as the Neighborhood Transformative Initiative. I used to be very critical of the project because I didn't believe that Street was doing his job but only tearing down housing and not replacing it as well as not bringing more small businesses to the city, but nowadays, with all the new housing being built around the city, much of that has a lot to do with Street, not Nutter. Street got a lot of flack from the local media, and I'll agree that Street was a racially polarizing mayor the way that Rizzo was back in the 70's, but after Street, you have to respect the man.

Goode has his good moments, such as allowing Liberty Place to be built as well as other projects such as the Old Mellon Bank Center and IBX Tower. A lot of cities went to seed during the 1980's but with Goode, at least he had the foresight to help erect those towers so a lot of businesses wouldn't further leave the city. Nutter on the other hand did the inverse which was allow businesses to leave due to the business and wage taxes which are one of the highest in the nation. Crime never really went down with him, neither, and which Kenney, it's right back up. Unfortunately, much of the murder victims are black (75%), even though blacks make up about 38%, which as a black man is sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Of course, other large Democratic-controlled cities have dealt with similar problems. New Yorkers, however, realized that uncontrolled crime is actually not a good thing for society, and elected a tough-on-crime Mayor. Will Philly do the same thing? We'll see, but another Mayor like Kenney, or another DA like Krasner, and it may become difficult to recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTTco8_aWU

I honestly feel that had Vega won, there would've a reduction of crime. Krasner is clearly not doing his job. Rendell's endorsements are usually good as gold, and the fact that Vega lost means that Rendell has lost a lot of clout in the city he helped recover. Also Vega would've been the first Latino to hold citywide office as district attorney, however most black groups endorsed Krasner, and once Krasner won, you still have the same thing going on with crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia