Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 11:18 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,191,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Comcast owns the Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center. The Sixers have wanted their own place ever since they were sold to Josh Harris and became a mere tenant. Philadelphia is large enough to keep 2 arenas of that size busy.
Plus, with two separate venues, scheduling of games whenever the seasons overlap won't be as much of a headache anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 01:57 PM

463 posts, read 207,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Brand new"?

It's a rebuild, not new construction.
Apologies for phrasing that imperfectly. I thought the renovation was done quite nice. While not brand new, it was a huge improvement.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
It was dumb to think they could rebrand The Gallery as another mall in a time mainstream malls were dying (even before Covid, malls were dying, Covid was just the final nail). The "Fashion District" made it seem like it should be outlet stores for high end fashion, but it's basically just another mall, but without proper anchor stores. The only thing in there worth the time is the City Winery, but if they are going to actually rebrand the whole complex as an "entertainment hub", then I guess City Winery can stay.
I thought the movie theater was excellent. It was really nice to have a large movie theater in Center City.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
One thing I thought of after reviewing the plan in more detail: Market East needs a master plan from 8th - 11th, rather than an arena and spotty redevelopment here and there. Use the South side of the 1100 block for inspiration.
The newer developments at 1100 Market Street are some of the better designed and executed developments in my opinion. I'm still disappointed that they didn't have the pedestrian only block carry all the way through to Chestnut.

I have to say though, if the city doesn't get crime under control, it won't really matter what they build. I was over where they have the swing and the lights at 1100 Market Street the other day, and there were a couple of homeless people that were aggressive hanging around and not many people. As much as I like what they built, it just didn't have a good feeling. Perhaps the Sixers Arena will do well no matter what because people will come to games.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:46 PM

9,395 posts, read 9,382,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
The newer developments at 1100 Market Street are some of the better designed and executed developments in my opinion. I'm still disappointed that they didn't have the pedestrian only block carry all the way through to Chestnut.

I have to say though, if the city doesn't get crime under control, it won't really matter what they build. I was over where they have the swing and the lights at 1100 Market Street the other day, and there were a couple of homeless people that were aggressive hanging around and not many people. As much as I like what they built, it just didn't have a good feeling. Perhaps the Sixers Arena will do well no matter what because people will come to games.
I agree that development is nice, but yes, crime should be priority #1. That entire stretch of Market is pretty grim these days, worse than I remember pre-Covid.

Center City is certainly bouncing back, but homelessness, open drug usage, and overall crime are really putting a damper on the trajectory of the city. I don't know how the city can overcome these issues without swift enforcement changes AND then continue to tackle quality of life issues.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:46 AM

14,274 posts, read 9,156,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post

The west end of the 1100 block of Chestnut will be a public plaza for the time being; the sixth building, which would frame the southern third of the mid-block pedestrian passage, remains part of the project.

As for the crime and the vagrancy, remember. we need to address both sides of the equation at the same time — deterrence and prevention. In the case of the homeless, the prevention part gets them off the streets and into places where they can receive the treatment many of them need. (Paging Sister Mary Scullion yet again.)

Old 07-24-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
The west end of the 1100 block of Chestnut will be a public plaza for the time being; the sixth building, which would frame the southern third of the mid-block pedestrian passage, remains part of the project.

As for the crime and the vagrancy, remember. we need to address both sides of the equation at the same time — deterrence and prevention. In the case of the homeless, the prevention part gets them off the streets and into places where they can receive the treatment many of them need. (Paging Sister Mary Scullion yet again.)
Do you think the potential of a Sixers arena will result in the relocation of the methadone clinic on Market Street? Are there actually 2 in the area? I always hear talk about them, but not sure their exact location.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:33 PM

451 posts, read 257,641 times
Quote:
Transit station connections are better at the site the Sixers chose. No walking outside to get to the arena from any station; at the DisneyHole, Regional Rail passengers would have to walk outside, and there's no possibility for passengers to be distributed among three Market-Frankford Line stations.
Where's the "DisneyHole"?

And while you chew on that, speaking of SEPTA, won't Regional Rail, BSL, BR Spur, and MFL service have to be stepped up on game nights?

Old 07-25-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Where's the "DisneyHole"?

And while you chew on that, speaking of SEPTA, won't Regional Rail, BSL, BR Spur, and MFL service have to be stepped up on game nights?
8th & Market, South side of the block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i16384!8i8192

Old 07-25-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more, but nothing seems to change and as nothing changes, people are deterred from visiting even solid developments like these ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia