Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:27 PM

473 posts, read 273,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's always had that element, no doubt. And maybe I'm being a bit dramatic with the DotD reference. But it's quantifiably more present from a numbers standpoint than in years past.
I think what you said is a bit exaggerated, but I also think that teenagers and druggies cause about 98% of the problems in Center City.

I just don't see how Philly PD can't even spare like 8-10 officers to continuously walk or even drive different sections of CC. The population/pedestrian density warrants it. This is why some people think they are purposely doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 01:00 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I think what you said is a bit exaggerated, but I also think that teenagers and druggies cause about 98% of the problems in Center City.

I just don't see how Philly PD can't even spare like 8-10 officers to continuously walk or even drive different sections of CC. The population/pedestrian density warrants it. This is why some people think they are purposely doing nothing.
The wild teen thing has also always been an issue, but appears much worse than in years past. That is something I don't experience at all in NYC. Makes me wonder if out of control teens (with access to guns) is common in other big city downtowns or is that more a Philadelphia specific issue?

Old 07-25-2022, 01:06 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The wild teen thing has also always been an issue, but appears much worse than in years past. That is something I don't experience at all in NYC. Makes me wonder if out of control teens (with access to guns) is common in other big city downtowns or is that more a Philadelphia specific issue?

Honestly, the "roving gang of teens" thing is the most repeated nonsense you guys always say. I lived in Philly for a decade now, and I can only think of a handful of times I ever even had to cross the street because of something like that. Never at Penn's Landing or Spruce Harbor before. The weirdo druggie bums are way more of an issue and even then, if you actually live near a corner like that, after a while you realize in Philly it's the same people rotating around. I legit have nicknames for many of the same characters I see around. For instance, whenever I see Mr. PeeBody on a hot summers day, I make sure to get as far away from him as possible.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:09 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Kinda feel like packs of wild teens harassing/assaulting people down CC and South St was more frequent during the "flashmob" era. Seems worse now because of social media and the digital world.

teens are definitely robbing people at gunpoint in center city more than ever before.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:19 PM

386 posts, read 266,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think part of the issue in Philly compared to a city like New York is that Center City is so easily accessible to a lot of teens. Are teens from Brownsville Brooklyn really going to hop on the subway for an hour to congregate in Times Square? Not sure about other cities.

But, knock on wood, I’ve never been personally affected by an unruly gang of teens other than to have to cross the street or go in a different direction.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:53 PM

As Sixers plan new Center City arena, Philly’s ‘Disney hole’ sits vacant

I said this years ago, and feel even more strongly about it now, 'Universal Studios - Philadelphia'. The world's first vertical augmented mixed-reality theme park and resort. It's a brilliant idea and not a glorified arcade like the Disney outpost was going to be. You could have a concert hall where virtual holograms of old bands and musicians play every night. An indoor coaster that is enhanced by VR goggles. Maybe a large central fountain like the airport in Singapore. We should be dreaming big.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
https://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set...r-its-identity

AFAIK, this isn’t even Chinatown

Rise in property values
More customers to local business

How is this a negative?

Old 07-25-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
https://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set...r-its-identity

AFAIK, this isn’t even Chinatown

Rise in property values
More customers to local business

How is this a negative?

If you keep in mind that a certain % of people's sole goal is to keep the city exactly how it is right now, it all starts to make sense. Helen Gym is a loser who wants the city to flounder.

It's funny the article doesn't even mention or talk to anyone from the Chinatown Development Corp., the actual neighborhood association.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:47 PM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Honestly, the "roving gang of teens" thing is the most repeated nonsense you guys always say. I lived in Philly for a decade now, and I can only think of a handful of times I ever even had to cross the street because of something like that. Never at Penn's Landing or Spruce Harbor before. The weirdo druggie bums are way more of an issue and even then, if you actually live near a corner like that, after a while you realize in Philly it's the same people rotating around. I legit have nicknames for many of the same characters I see around. For instance, whenever I see Mr. PeeBody on a hot summers day, I make sure to get as far away from him as possible.
Why the eff would I make that up?

Old 07-25-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Why the eff would I make that up?

I'm not saying you made it up. I'm just sayin' I know a pretty large network of people who live and work in Center City. People I grew up with, went to high school/college with, worked with, etc. and I have never had a conversation about 'roving teens' more than maybe two or three times. You guys seemingly bring it up on a monthly basis. I'm just not seeing it like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia