Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 44,988 times

Advertisements

We moved our family of 5 to Doylestown Township 6 years ago and we have been pleasantly surprised to find all of the things that you say you are looking for and more. Our neighborhood -- indeed, the whole town -- is very family friendly. Great schools, great parks (our neighborhood is surrounded by a
walking/biking trail that connects to a much more extensive trail system around the greater town and borough and we are across the street from a large park with an 8-story Kids Castle with tennis courts/bocce courts/playing fields/picnic pavillions/walking trails, etc. . .), a community pool and swim team, just to name a few. There is a wonderful local YMCA and community organizations that are very active in youth activities. Both kids and adults are very active here with a variety of sports ranging from soccer to football to rugby to baseball -- you name it. Moreover, the whole area has a very artsy, funky vibe. MOST IMPORTANTLY, we have found a very warm, welcoming community of friends and neighbors who have made usfeel very comfortable in our new surroundings after our first major move. Sadly, a job change will mean that we have to move again! UGH!!! Now, to find a similar place in NY or NJ! E-mail me if you want more info about this area. It really is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 PM

52 posts, read 211,652 times
Good luck! We just moved from Cary NC to New Hope PA after being down in Cary for the past 5.5 years. I am SO GLAD to be back home! I am from Washington Crossing PA (Bucks) and I hated NC.

I am so psyched to not hear that stupid NC accent anymore OK, so maybe its harsh, but true. I love being able to sit on our deck and not be bitten by 120000 mosquitos or it being 1000 degrees outside.

You will love being back here-We just settled on our new house here on August 4th. It was a tad more expensive than down there, but the taxes were only 4700K, which isnt too bad considering I was paying 3K down there. We had a 2400 sq ft house there that we bought for 254K, but now we have a 3500 sq ft house that was 550K. Pretty comparable and we are MUCH happier.

PM me if you like-I dont know much about the Doylestown area, but New Hope is awesome and it doesnt seem too far away from Doylestown.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:21 PM

237 posts, read 855,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMeninMyLife View Post
Good luck! We just moved from Cary NC to New Hope PA after being down in Cary for the past 5.5 years. I am SO GLAD to be back home! I am from Washington Crossing PA (Bucks) and I hated NC.

I am so psyched to not hear that stupid NC accent anymore OK, so maybe its harsh, but true. I love being able to sit on our deck and not be bitten by 120000 mosquitos or it being 1000 degrees outside.

You will love being back here-We just settled on our new house here on August 4th. It was a tad more expensive than down there, but the taxes were only 4700K, which isnt too bad considering I was paying 3K down there. We had a 2400 sq ft house there that we bought for 254K, but now we have a 3500 sq ft house that was 550K. Pretty comparable and we are MUCH happier.

PM me if you like-I dont know much about the Doylestown area, but New Hope is awesome and it doesnt seem too far away from Doylestown.
My wife and I looked in Cary and actually liked it there much better than Charlotte, which is where we are now because of jobs. We are looking back north and looking for an area that is 2.5 to 3 hours from Long Island so we can be closer to family. I will definitly check out New Hope. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
I can send you some listings in the area to look at if you want. I have been a resident of bucks county my whole life and know the area like the back of my hand. I am a licensed realtor in PA and would be happy to send you some listings that meet your criteria - let me know! You can email me at kimhandloff@remax.net

Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 28,778 times
We are currently looking to relocate to the Triangle from Bucks County for all the reasons you listed why you love it so much. I don't think you will find a place up here that is anything like where you live now. I have lived here my whole life, and where there is a great city life being so close to Philadelphia, the sense of community and neighborhood friendliness has become few and far between. Good luck! It will be hard to find in PA what you have right now.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM

69 posts, read 223,818 times
We currently live in Bucks County - in Jamison, near the York Road area. We love it here. Doylestown is great as well. The Central Bucks area in general is a wonderful place to be.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM

20 posts, read 48,809 times
Thanks for all your input! It's nice to see that some folks are happy to leave NC for PA when most people are moving the other way. My hubby's job makes it mandatory that we move from NC, but it brings tears to my eyes! I have been searching the neighborhoods around Doylestown, Richboro, Warwick, even Newtown and can't seem to find the whole package (nice yard, neighborhood feel with kids playing outside, community playground, etc.). Anyone have any specific neighborhoods where kids can play together, etc.?????

Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy15 View Post
Thanks for all your input! It's nice to see that some folks are happy to leave NC for PA when most people are moving the other way. My hubby's job makes it mandatory that we move from NC, but it brings tears to my eyes! I have been searching the neighborhoods around Doylestown, Richboro, Warwick, even Newtown and can't seem to find the whole package (nice yard, neighborhood feel with kids playing outside, community playground, etc.). Anyone have any specific neighborhoods where kids can play together, etc.?????
Again,you're not going to find the same warmth that you will in NC and
you're probably not going to find alot of that in the towns you mentioned as they seem to be more places for rich singles or couples with no children.
If you want that you're probably going to have to move closer to the more suburban towns.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM

20 posts, read 48,809 times
Thanks for your input! There are a lot of daycares in Doylestown, etc, so the kids must live somewhere around there! To Stuck in PA, what towns did you have in mind, ie suburban towns? I was under the impression that Doylestown, Newtown are considered suburban towns. From what I've seem so far, they are certainly more crowded than our town of Chapel Hill.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
And it will be more crowded in this area.
I think I saw places with the kids in more western Bucks and Montgomery counties up along Route 309 & 476 as well as Chester county where a friend of mine lived in Eagle PA.
You could even look over in NJ also,I'm sure there are many people who have done the NC thing there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia