Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM

203 posts, read 561,859 times

Advertisements

Posted on local board but thought I should try here as well......

I am curious if anyone out there has done the following....

Has anyone had their child or children in a private school downtown, but then decided to move to the suburbs?

TO get even more specific, what about Radnor School District? Took a look at Wayne and Rosemont and it seems nice enough with some walkable areas; Narberth also. (Parks, kids, place to eat and the housing seems to be about a push now)

I have heard stories of people doing this and loving it, doing this and hating it (then moving back), but I have never heard directly from someone who has done it.

Feel free to PM if you would rather not post for all to see.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
You do not want Radnor SD. Too much pressure on the kids to get into the "right" school, there was a huge cheating scandal there, the kids are spoiled brats and the parents condone their behavior.

Definitely choose Lower Merion or Tredyffrin (Conestoga is one of the best high schools in the country)...

Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
You do not want Radnor SD. Too much pressure on the kids to get into the "right" school, there was a huge cheating scandal there, the kids are spoiled brats and the parents condone their behavior.

Definitely choose Lower Merion or Tredyffrin (Conestoga is one of the best high schools in the country)...
Thanks. Part of the challenge is we would like to maintain some of that city walkability and we have only found that in Wayne, Narberth, and Rosemont/Bryn Mawr.

I will certainly look into the issues you pointed out....

but I would still like to hear from parents that made that city private to suburb public move.....

Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Media and West Chester have walkable downtowns. Media is right next door to Nether Providence (Wallingford) a semi affluent but liberal and unaffected area. Great schools, great people, great place to raise kids...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Media and West Chester have walkable downtowns. Media is right next door to Nether Providence (Wallingford) a semi affluent but liberal and unaffected area. Great schools, great people, great place to raise kids...
Thanks.

Again, looking for people who have made the move from city private to suburb public.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Yeah, definitely avoid Radnor. For suburban schools: Conestoga, Lower Merion, Great Valley, Central Bucks, Springfield.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
No one has answered the question yet...but I don't think Radnor is any worse than Lower Merion or Conestoga as far as high pressure, spoiled kids, etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
No one has answered the question yet...but I don't think Radnor is any worse than Lower Merion or Conestoga as far as high pressure, spoiled kids, etc.
Um I'm a Lower Merion graduate, so I'm pretty sure I have an idea. I know plenty of Radnor kids, and between them and Harriton kids, it would be a helluva race to figure out who's more spoiled.

Conestoga, though, definitely not in that conversation.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Thank you but

All of the schools mentioned seem very strong and given the housing prices I would assume any of those schools would have some degree "well-to-do snobery" with varying degrees.

I liike the Wayne area as well as Belmont; not as much as where I live now; but I like it well enough. Bucks county is out b/c of work; not sure I like Media as a place to live but need to look more.

Given that area (Wayne Belmont), can someone speak to the difference in academics, culture, experiences of a private school (like some of the downtown ones or others) vs these highly rated suburban public schools?

If you believe the Philly Magazine list from 2006, Conestoga, LM, and Radnor are among the best in the area, but many private schools are ranked ahead of them. I am trying to get a sense of how big that differences is.....

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
All of the schools mentioned seem very strong and given the housing prices I would assume any of those schools would have some degree "well-to-do snobery" with varying degrees.

I liike the Wayne area as well as Belmont; not as much as where I live now; but I like it well enough. Bucks county is out b/c of work; not sure I like Media as a place to live but need to look more.

Given that area (Wayne Belmont), can someone speak to the difference in academics, culture, experiences of a private school (like some of the downtown ones or others) vs these highly rated suburban public schools?

If you believe the Philly Magazine list from 2006, Conestoga, LM, and Radnor are among the best in the area, but many private schools are ranked ahead of them. I am trying to get a sense of how big that differences is.....
I don't know the downtown private schools--only the suburban ones, and I've said it before, but IMHO, the private schools are not worth it, because the public schools in SEPA are incredibly strong, and comparable to private schools in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia