Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 18,049 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm retired, presently living in the woods in SC, originally from Bronx, NY and am thinking of purchasing a Row House in Philadelphia inner city.
My only concern about a Row House is NOISE. Is anyone on this forum familiar with living in a Row House? Can you tell me if I should be worried about a LOUD neighbor on either side, or, are the walls thick enough so I can't hear what is going on on either side?
I would appreciate any advice you can give in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
i really don't hear too much noise other than the occasional neighbor thumping up and down the stairs. but then again, our home is 25 yrs old. i think some of the older homes may have noise issues.

also, we installed a pretty powerful sound system (sub-woofer and all) so i may actually be the loud, annoying neighbor. haven't heard any complaints yet

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
My house was built in 1928. The walls are thick, but they're not that thick. I hear chairs scraping on the kitchen floor, people walking up and down the stairs, the neighbors' stupid dog throwing himself against the front door when the mailman comes , the grandfather clock chiming ... It's not awful, and I have pretty quiet neighbors. But I've heard worse at friends' houses: thumping music, kids and adults alike screaming and yelling, etc.

Row houses certainly have their benefits, but quiet and privacy are not among them.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:02 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
I think, based on my own experiences with Philly rowhouses, that drywall is a better sound insulator then plaster walls so if you can find a newer rowhouse you may find it to be a quieter environment. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
My house is ca. 1875, the place next door to me is one apartment on each floor and I don't really hear much of my neighbors except if it's really quiet in my house and someone is going up the stairs next door . . . and sometimes hear my 3rd floor neighbors and their karaoke, but only if i'm up on the 3rd floor.

In most rowhouses the staircase/hallway take up most of the party wall so unless you have really loud neighbors you shouldn't hear too much of them.

There are a lot of voids in the brick so exposing the brick and pointing/sealing it can cut down on noise. So can insulating. My part wall has a layer of drywall over the original plaster but then, it's not really noise that I hear so much as it is vibrations.

But if you're really in to peace and quiet you're going to have be really selective about the neighborhood/block that you live on. You'll be going from about 12 people per sq. mile to about 12,000.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
the neighbors' stupid dog throwing himself against the front door when the mailman comes
Are you sure it's the dog and not just the stupid neighbor?!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
If you have noisy neighbors you will here them. One solution would be to look in family un-friendly neighborhoods like the gayborhood for a trinity although these houses will be smaller and more expensive, maybe in the 300's. What is your budget?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Are you sure it's the dog and not just the stupid neighbor?!
Now that you mention it, my neighbors are stupid, too. But you can come down for a visit and judge for yourself!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Now that you mention it, my neighbors are stupid, too. But you can come down for a visit and judge for yourself!
You're on! I'll trade you a goodie basket filled with NEPA treats like Gertrude Hawk Chocolates for a true Philly cheesesteak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia