Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
juniperbleu, thanks for the advise, I will have to check out Tony Luke's. OMG, italian pork sandwich, my husband will be all over that!
Mmm....I have dreams about it...

And yes, it's a big to-do about a slab of meat and cheese on a roll, but it's yummy and if you don't eat it every day it won't kill you. Make it up with some grilled chicken or a salad when you go home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,340 times
You can't really go wrong by either shop but I prefer Geno's due to the consideration he shows to the Police Department. If you want to burn off the calories later on take a walk along Columbus Avenue and enjoy the area.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Geno's, and he supports the community and doing the right thing for the USA,

we love you Genos

Old 01-24-2009, 03:56 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Dalessandro's makes the absolute best.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Geno's, and he supports the community and doing the right thing for the USA,

we love you Genos

He's racist and only hurting himself. For the record the Italian Americans were the slowest of the old immigrants to assimilate into American way of living. To this day there are elderly Italians who never really learned the English language. This English Only thing has gone too far. Yes there is illegal immigration but if someone attempts to order food, they should be viewed as a paying customer and efforts should be made to serve them. Its a win win situation. The customer who does'nt speak English well or at all gets his/her food and the business gets their money. Why alienate customers and hurt potentail profits of the business? This whole thing would be unheard of in a true international City; Something Philly is not as a result of Rocky Balboa neanderthals like the owner of this business.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
for cheese steaks try Steves in the NE... You won't be sorry. Pats/genos in South philly are tourists traps. Nothing more.

http://www.stevesprinceofsteaks.com/

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
"For the record the Italian Americans were the slowest of the old immigrants to assimilate into American way of living."

Excuse me Where did you get your information. My grandparents immigrated here from Italy and from the day they arrived they learned the English language. They had to learn it on their own, there were no "free" classes (ESL), nothing was handed to them. No "free" health care, no food stamps, no assistance from the state/gov't. There were no signs written in both English and Italian. The children were taught English, not Italian. They were proud to be American

Last edited by Bella52; 01-24-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
geno's is terrible, so is the other place at 9th and syunk

Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
The thing with Geno's is it is always so nice and clean all the times I've been there. This has always impressed me, for how busy they were. I went over to Pat's to grab my sister cheese fries (she likes theirs) and it looked like a bomb of whiz or something exploded in there. The emloyees weren't as diligent as Geno's about cleaning up and presentation, and I got a bad impression because it wasn't even that busy there at the time and they were standing around.

Plus, they use Rib-Eye (pretty sure Pat's may as well), so they don't deem it necessary to dice the dang steak into powder (like many other joints do.) They don't dice at ALL, matter of fact. If you go to a joint where they have to dice it into molecules beyond being steak-y, that's because they use cheap meat, and dicing it so much lets you miss the tough chewy leathery stuff it would be if they didn't dice it to death.

While some dicing is fine, I always watch to see just how much a place has to dice the stuff up before I order somewhere that isn't Geno's or Chinks.

*****'s near Torresdale and Comly have good ones. Jim's on South Street, theirs was watery. Maybe they used frozen steak that day I was there?? Didn't like it at all. Got spoiled with Geno's real young.

Hey, the name of the place got censored and it's been there for years. Just Google-Map Torresdale and Comly Aves for the nearest steak sandwich shop.

Last edited by Travel'r; 01-28-2009 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
There's too much hoopla over such an overrated, greasy, slab of meat on a roll. Eat grilled chicken breast or something along those lines. Im so tired of this talk about cheesesteaks! Enough already!
Yea, I feel the same way. When I lived in other states and I told people where I was from all they could say is stuff about cheese stakes... Good grief....

ha even saw the quarterback of the eagles eating this crap before the game. As an elite athlete he should not be eating this crap which might be a little factor as to why the eagles lost.. But I don't care about Foot Ball or the eagles anyway becaue they dont put food on my table so the hell with all of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia