Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
This is a one time horrible, frightful incident, but it should not deter people from coming into center city. Remember murders are also committted in the "safe" suburbs.
Oh yeah, this kind of stuff happens ALL the time in the suburbs, and the increasing level of everyday violence in the worst parts of the city will obviously not bleed over to the good sections, putting everyone at increased risk of violence . Anybody want to buy a bridge or some swampland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
i certainly feel safer in Downtown Chicago (pop 5+ million) verses downtown Philly (pop. 1+ million) but its not due to one albeit terrifying incident-its just the vibe I get.
Hey thats emotional and reactionary of me
I meant downtown, around 19102, not in suburbs.

Last edited by leighland; 03-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: typo typo

Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I am not surprised to see the subject of the Starbucks manager killed on the SEPTA platform discussed here. It would seem that people would react perhaps one of two ways.

1. Those who are already averse to living or visiting the city will be even less inclined to do so.

2. Those who do live, work or play in the city will see the incident as a reminder to be aware of their surroundings but realize this was a rare incident for Center City.

FWIW, here's another article to consider:

Philadelphia slayings still falling in 2008 | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/15/2008 (broken link)

Now, 50-something murders are still 50-something too much, but compared to 70-something last March, it's a step in a positive direction.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
One incident does not make a city unsafe. Thats reactionary and emotional. I happen to think that Philly is lets say, 'wound up' and I certainly feel safer in Downtown Chicago (pop 5+ million) verses downtown Philly (pop. 1+ million) but its not due to one albeit terrifying incident-its just the vibe I get.
Not trying to be particular or off-topic, but Chicago's population is under 3 million.

Anyway, I read about this frightening and just senseless incident, too, and while it is scary to think that it happened during broad daylight and in the downtown area, it's certainly not entirely unheard of. That hardly means it happens on a regular basis, and compared to many outlying Philadelphia neighborhoods, Center City is still MUCH safer.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
FWIW, here's another article to consider:

Philadelphia slayings still falling in 2008 | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/15/2008 (broken link)

Now, 50-something murders are still 50-something too much, but compared to 70-something last March, it's a step in a positive direction.
Well said, Tone, and thanks for posting that. Since the beginning of the year, there has been a consistent decline in murders around 30% compared to last year, which is encouraging to say the least. One incident -- although sobering and tragic -- hardly provides implications for a larger trend.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
FWIW, there was a sniper shooting indiscriminately at cars along I-64 near Charlottesville in central VA yesterday that closed down part of the interstate for about 6 hours, and that part of Virginia isn't exactly part of any city. I'm SURE that kind of thing happens all the time in that part of rural Virginia however.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 17,225 times
Not to condone what these cretinous hoodlums did, but had Mr. Conroy not suffered a fatal heart attack, this would have been simply a harrassment situation - punk kids picking on a random person just for kicks. I'd venture a guess that harrassment like this happens more than people believe, both in large cities and smaller towns. This is no reason to think that Center City is becoming rife with murderers. It's just a shame that truant kids have to resort to this kind of behavior for their "fun". Because of Mr. Conroy's death at their hands they should all be prosecuted to the fullest extent. It's not going to keep me away from Philly, though.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's Dad View Post
Not to condone what these cretinous hoodlums did, but had Mr. Conroy not suffered a fatal heart attack, this would have been simply a harrassment situation - punk kids picking on a random person just for kicks. I'd venture a guess that harrassment like this happens more than people believe, both in large cities and smaller towns. This is no reason to think that Center City is becoming rife with murderers. It's just a shame that truant kids have to resort to this kind of behavior for their "fun". Because of Mr. Conroy's death at their hands they should all be prosecuted to the fullest extent. It's not going to keep me away from Philly, though.
It would have been an assault, which is serious enough as it is.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
It would have been an assault, which is serious enough as it is.
True; oversight on my part calling it simply harassment.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:27 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's Dad View Post
I've never heard of blaming the victim for his own death after being assaulted for other no reason than happening to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. By that reasoning if people with bullet allergies would wear their vests whenever outside of their homes, they wouldn't die when they are accidentally shot. Just common sense, right?

Congratulations, you have invented a whole new genre of scapegoating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia