Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:47 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times

Advertisements

We have been contemplating a relocation from Orange County Calif. to the suburbs of Philadelphia. We have family in NJ and Conn but it seems a bit expensive there and we are trying to get away from a high cost of living. I am concerned about moving my 2 teenage daughters, one an 8th grader and one a Sophmore in high school. Although I am not really fond of the OC there is a lot for kids to do around here (beach, shopping, riding bikes). I am just curious what do teens have to keep them busy in the suburbs of Philly? We would most likely settle in Bucks County as I have heard great things about the schools. My kids are active in sports and I am sure they will have plenty of opportunity to play sports in school there, but what do kids do when they are not in school? Just curious, if we do decide to move I want to make sure they have things to do that will be fun. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
We have been contemplating a relocation from Orange County Calif. to the suburbs of Philadelphia. We have family in NJ and Conn but it seems a bit expensive there and we are trying to get away from a high cost of living. I am concerned about moving my 2 teenage daughters, one an 8th grader and one a Sophmore in high school. Although I am not really fond of the OC there is a lot for kids to do around here (beach, shopping, riding bikes). I am just curious what do teens have to keep them busy in the suburbs of Philly? We would most likely settle in Bucks County as I have heard great things about the schools. My kids are active in sports and I am sure they will have plenty of opportunity to play sports in school there, but what do kids do when they are not in school? Just curious, if we do decide to move I want to make sure they have things to do that will be fun. Any suggestions?
A common thing for teens to do here is hang out in malls (plenty of them everywhere), go to concerts in the city, go out to different restaurants, or go to amusement parks every so often (Six Flags, Dorney Park, Hershey Park, etc.) When teens get their licenses there are obviously many more opportunities for them, but aside from the beach (unless you take a day trip to the Jersey Shore, which is always a good time), I'm sure you'll find all of the same opportunities for your children as you do in SoCal. I guess it's also important to mention the difference in weather, but although we don't have a constant year-round climate, there are plenty of awesome things to do when it snows during the winter. I personally love the change in seasons. From swimming in the summer to enjoying a campfire on a brisk fall evening, it allows you to take part in something different every few months. Good luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 10-10-2007 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM

42 posts, read 148,035 times
Bucks county is less built up than other suburbs-agreed that sports if they're into that would play a big role. Aside from that, there aren't many suburbs anywhere with much to do here. The more sophisticated kids take the train into Center City on weekends for classes, shopping etc.. but aside from that suburbs are suburbs.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info. We live in the suburbs right now, nowhere close to a big city. We are probably 45-60 min from downtown LA on a good day driving. You do not use public transportation here because it is not user friendly.
My kids mostly ride their bikes around the neighborhood but we are close to shopping (i,e Target, Starbucks, restuarants etc.) I don't mind driving them those places. Do kids mostly just hang out at each other's homes in the winter? How close is a nice beach and amusement park? We are about 30 min from Disneyland although we only go about once a year , sometimes less.
Also, we are used to a competitive sports program at school so which suburbs would we want to look at? I have been looking at Doylestown and New Hope any other suggestions?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

71 posts, read 353,930 times
bucks co. can be a little boring in my mind but the closer you get to philly, the more places become alive. your kids can take a bus to manayunk, or go do sports activities . movie theaters are pretty abundant in the area and they are sure to make friends within a few weeks of school. you can boost my rep. if u found my information to be helpful

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Well, there's Sesame Place in Bucks County, which sounds too young for your kids. Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom are an hour away, and Six Flags - Great Adventure is less than that from Bucks County.

Bucks County is a good place to raise kids, but yes, there's only so much kids can actually do there besides going to each other's houses, malls, biking, etc.

Doylestown is, at least to me, the definition of quaint. New Hope is very tolerant (check out its history in the gay community). Both are further north from Philadelphia (about 25-35 miles or so) and not that convenient to drive to the city. Finding sports activities shouldn't be a problem at all. It seems that everywhere in suburbia local sports are huge.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
As ryanwex said, suburbs are suburbs. My kids here in PA do pretty much the same things their cousins in Lancaster county and Arizona do - hang out at each others houses, play computer games, watch HS sports - or perform in marching band, go to youth group, go to the movies etc. None of our kids hang out in malls although there is a bit of walking around in our new outdoor mall area up here in Center Valley: Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley

If your kids are in sports, there is no such thing as one season for that any more once they hit HS. If they aren't playing or practicing, they are training for it.

We are about 15 minutes from Dorney Park and we only visit it once a year. Many families with Middle School age kids get season passes but once they are past that age, it's not that popular.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks TooBusy it sounds like there is opportunity for activities for my kids. It actually sounds like it is similar to where we live. I appreciate the input!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Default No exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
bucks co. can be a little boring in my mind but the closer you get to philly, the more places become alive. your kids can take a bus to manayunk, or go do sports activities . movie theaters are pretty abundant in the area and they are sure to make friends within a few weeks of school. you can boost my rep. if u found my information to be helpful
I wouldnt exactly say places come more alive the closer you get to Philly and just an FYI kids don't hang out in Manayunk.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Bucks county sounds good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Thanks for the info. We live in the suburbs right now, nowhere close to a big city. We are probably 45-60 min from downtown LA on a good day driving. You do not use public transportation here because it is not user friendly.
My kids mostly ride their bikes around the neighborhood but we are close to shopping (i,e Target, Starbucks, restuarants etc.) I don't mind driving them those places. Do kids mostly just hang out at each other's homes in the winter? How close is a nice beach and amusement park? We are about 30 min from Disneyland although we only go about once a year , sometimes less.
Also, we are used to a competitive sports program at school so which suburbs would we want to look at? I have been looking at Doylestown and New Hope any other suggestions?
Based on what you said I do think Bucks County would be good. Just a few things to know: Doylestown is FAR from center city Philly. You might say that's not a problem but should a family member ever be sick and need to be in the hospital-the best ones are downtown. Doylestown is a desireable place to live so you'd definitely be paying for the zipcode depending on where you were there.

As for New Hope-understand that it's extremely overpriced, its a tourist town and while it does have a great school system it also is pretty far from Philly.

You didnt say what price range you were looking in, but other areas in Bucks to consider are in the Council-Rock School District (one of the best in the state) and that area has easier and closer access to the city. I know being in Orange County you don't need to go to downtown LA but remember that cities in the northeast are different and if you enjoy doing cultural things-they're all downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia