Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 24,761 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

Yes, this is yet another "where should I live?" thread, only I hope you'll find it a little more focused than they sometimes can be.

The background: My fiance and I are looking to buy a home, working with a pretty modest budget. We're in our late 20s, no kids. I'd like something with a suburban feel, but still with easy access to CC (we rent in East Falls now, which has its pros and cons, but we're generally happy with the area). Basically, something with a yard, hopefully off-street parking for at least one vehicle, and a nice walkable neighborhood with some things going on. I prefer older construction -- a house with character. I've been researching a variety of suburbs and Philly neighborhoods (these forums have been a great resource), and my question here is pretty specific.

I love West Mount Airy. I love the way it looks, I love its feel, its diversity, its proximity to both the city and the suburban areas that I frequent for some of my routine shopping. It's close to my job, and shouldn't add much time to my fiance's commute. But it's expensive.

East Mount Airy looks much more affordable for us -- but then, there's usually a reason why some areas are more affordable. I've seen some people on here make reference to East Mount Airy being undesirable, while I've seen other people post about how happy they are living there. Some posts don't seem to make much of a distinction between the East and West at all.

So I'd like to hear some more about the two neighborhoods, and East Mount Airy in particular. Is East Mount Airy that much different than West Mount Airy? Is it less safe? Does it have different population demographics? Is it bordered by bad neighborhoods (I don't know much at all about Germantown, east or otherwise, and nothing about the other neighborhoods that border it), and if so, how much spillover is there? What is the trend in the area -- is it headed more in the direction of West Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill, with more commercial development, or is it moving in the opposite direction? Right now, we're looking into fixer-uppers (in this and other neighborhoods), with an eye toward reselling maybe five years down the line, so I'm very interested in knowing how the neighborhood is changing.

As an aside, I've looked into MontCo suburbs as well, and while there are many towns I like, their property taxes make them unaffordable to us at this time (I'm looking at you, Cheltenham Township).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
East Mt. Airy is a middle class predominately black area with some quiet blocks and brick airlite rowhomes built around 1950 . West Mt. Airy is more racially diverse with many professionals. The housing stock is more varied including some older Victorian twins with porches and big second floor bay windows.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Upper East Mount Airy which accounts for almost half of East Mount Airy is very comparable to West Mount Airy and in my opinion nicer than most parts of WMA-and you will get much more for your money. The borders are Germantown to Stenton and Gorgas Lane to Cresheim Valley Drive. It is a quick walk to Downtown Mount Airy or Chestnut Hill and the train (R7) is faster than the west side line (R8)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM

165 posts, read 926,002 times
It really depends on your budget as to which will actually be feasable for you to choose. The good news is that recent tax assessments have dropped drasticaly in Mount Airy as a whole so even homes that were once unaffordable are being considered more so.

There are 149 homes on the market in Mt. Airy as of today, many are like new as the previous home owner foreclosed and moved away. There are some serious deals to be made.

Now in fairness you should ask for a disclosure/disclaimer before buying ANY home. The reason I say this is there's a home in my neighborhood that's lower than all the other homes for sale and it's known as "the mold house". Just be careful but there are some great places in nice safe, kid-friendly neighborhoods that are going for good prices (considering the area and good quality schools).

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Teleblazer:

Just to make sure we're on the same page... are you talking about Mount Airy, the Philadelphia neighborhood? Or Mount Airy, the DC exurban town?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 24,444 times
I could use some help with a similar subject matter. I am moving next month to East Mount Airy. It's an historic victorian home converted into apts. I can't emphasis enough how much I love the apt. I will be on Mt Airy Ave. few blocks from Germantown Ave. As a single 31 yr old white female, should I be concerned with my safety when walking my dog throughout the area? Also any suggestions of things to do or places around the neighborhood? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

149 posts, read 445,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay5 View Post
I could use some help with a similar subject matter. I am moving next month to East Mount Airy. It's an historic victorian home converted into apts. I can't emphasis enough how much I love the apt. I will be on Mt Airy Ave. few blocks from Germantown Ave. As a single 31 yr old white female, should I be concerned with my safety when walking my dog throughout the area? Also any suggestions of things to do or places around the neighborhood? Thanks in advance for your help!
This is my neighborhood (I live on E Allens, one block over). This area is safe and you will be fine. Its a fantastic neighborhood where my wife and I are currently raising our daughter.

The The only challenged area of E. Mt Airy is borderd by Chew, Germantown Ave, Gorgas and Johnson/Washington. And by most accounts its getting better. The remaining 2/3 of E. Mt Airy is comparable to W. Mt Airy in aesthetics and demographics. Even slightly less oppressively liberal, which to me is a good thing.

Lots to do....easy access to Wissahickon Creek and Forbidden Drive (bikes and hikes) a great neighborhood pub (McMenamins), brewpub/brick oven pizzeria (Earth), easy access to Chestnut Hill, good train transportation to Center City....that's a start.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:16 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Also, E. Mt Airy has a more direct and substantially faster rail connection to Center City, via the R7/Chestnut Hill East line, vs. the less-direct R8/Chestnut Hill West line in W. Mt Airy.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 12,241 times
The "undesirable" part of 'East Mt. Airy' that those are referring too is actually not Mt.Airy at all. It's actually 'Cedarbrook. Those whom think they live in "East Mt. Airy" will argue this point; however, East Mt. Airy starts across Stenton Ave. Separating itself from West Mt. Airy is Germantown Ave. So actually both East and West Mt. Airy are diverse. Cedarbrook section of the city is from Cheltenham ave up to Stenton Ave.

If your live in this zip then this is your section of the City.

Chestnut Hill- 19118

Mt. Airy - 19119

Cedarbrook - 19150

Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
East Mt. Airy is a middle class predominately black area with some quiet blocks and brick airlite rowhomes built around 1950 . West Mt. Airy is more racially diverse with many professionals. The housing stock is more varied including some older Victorian twins with porches and big second floor bay windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
This is my neighborhood (I live on E Allens, one block over). This area is safe and you will be fine. Its a fantastic neighborhood where my wife and I are currently raising our daughter.

The The only challenged area of E. Mt Airy is borderd by Chew, Germantown Ave, Gorgas and Johnson/Washington. And by most accounts its getting better. The remaining 2/3 of E. Mt Airy is comparable to W. Mt Airy in aesthetics and demographics. Even slightly less oppressively liberal, which to me is a good thing.

Lots to do....easy access to Wissahickon Creek and Forbidden Drive (bikes and hikes) a great neighborhood pub (McMenamins), brewpub/brick oven pizzeria (Earth), easy access to Chestnut Hill, good train transportation to Center City....that's a start.
I live on the same block as G Goo and agree with his comments, esp'ly about East being less in your face dogmatic and self-consciously liberal than our Western neighbors

My wife and I moved here in 2008. We looked at both sides of the Avenue. West had the advantage of better access to Wissahickon Creek, but was easily $40k more expensive than East for comparable housing. I've spent a lot of time in both 'hoods running, walking the dog, and delivering for Meals on Wheels, and so think I have a better than average sense of each areas' "look and feel".

There are some blocks that could be interchangeable between the two neighborhoods: blocks w/ nice row homes and others with large & beautiful "singles." There are some blocks that are uniquely East or West, and the best of the West blocks do tend to be grander than the best of the East. Discounting the semi-sketchy area that G Goo identified, demographics are more even than otters21 suggests. Really, when all is said and done, it's hard to go wrong with either East or West. If green space access is an overwhelming priority, West would be better. For access to the Avenue and to Center City and for cost-effectiveness, East wins. I've never had or perceived safety issues in either neighborhood.

Since the OP is local, I'd suggest doing what my wife and I did: have a map in hand and drive every street in the area, marking as you go blocks that appeal or repel. My hunch is that at the end of the day there'll be a lot more check marks than x's in East Mt Airy than you expected. OP: PM me if you want to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia