Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,469 times

Advertisements

I received a wreckless driving and improper lane left lane change ticket. there was a car in front of me that wouldnt go on the green light so i beeped my horn for him to go, well he decided to drive and then give me a break check, i decided to drive around him, but as i did he wanted to speed up an not let me get over, there was a car coming the opp direction so i had to step on my break< turns out the car comin the opp direction was an undercover and pulled me over and let the other car go. some cops came and wrote me the ticket without asking me what happen. He wasnt even there to see any lane change or wreckless driving but still wrote the ticket!! dont know what to do, should i fight it myself or get a lawyer? do i have a good shot at fighting this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 22,108 times
Fight it yourself. A lawyer won't really do anything for you. the best thing to do is plead not guilty. They will give you a court date. Half the time the cop doesn't show up and you get off.

If he does show up all you do is ask for a lower ticket/penalty. Explain your a good person, not a bad driver, can't afford the ticket etc......

This got me out of a TON of tickets when I was bit younger and drove like an a$$hole.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,469 times
cool, thanx just scared that they will say im guilty and then suspend my license for 6 months! cant afford that. darn philly cops

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
I agree with pa2.

Plead not guilty and go to the hearing. Kindly explain to the judge what happened.Tell the judge you used extreme caution before passing and you were simply trying to avoid a potential confrontation/road rage by the other driver.

It would probably help if you told the judge about the driver instigating the situation e.g., slamming on his brakes and playing chicken with you.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM

418 posts, read 1,348,729 times
PAY THE FINE.

TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT

Did you know why the driver in front was stopped?
Do you know why only old people drive the way they do?
Aggressive drivers die young .. or go to jail for vehicular homicide.

Note to all drivers ..
Slow down and put that phone away ..

I save 25% to 40% .. on gas by driving the speed limit or less ..
Yes that slow vehicle is me .. saving money .. and maybe lives.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslisa248 View Post
I received a wreckless driving and improper lane left lane change ticket. there was a car in front of me that wouldnt go on the green light so i beeped my horn for him to go, well he decided to drive and then give me a break check, i decided to drive around him, but as i did he wanted to speed up an not let me get over

Can't help you with the ticket, but I am seeing this type of moronic behavior more and more often. People who play road games and give brake checks are complete idiots who need to get their licenses taken away from them. Let them ride the bus if they can't behave themselves.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM

23 posts, read 84,323 times
I don't want to comment on your driving behavior. I obviously wasn't there and while it "sounds wrong", I could see where many people may have done the same thing (Agreeing that it most likely was reckless).

However, You have the right to plead your case and the worse thing that would happen is that you would have to pay the fine.

Most likely however, depending on your record they may offer you "fine minus points" or a reduced fine/points.

Keep in mind the reckless driving and any points that may go along with it could affect your insurance rates so use this as a learning experience, plead your case and cross your fingers.

(boy,,,,, now I really sound like my dad....

NJmmadude, I do agree with you. It's really getting dangerous out there. I'm on the road most of the day and I'm FLOORED by the "driving styles" that some people have...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
Just a FYI - in Philly traffic court, the original cop does NOT have to show up for the intial hearing - there is a liason officer there to speak on behalf of the cop issuing the ticket based on his notes - when you go there, check-in and speak to the officer in the recess between the sessions right before your scheduled time (they do a group of people in order and then recess and do another group and so on - be EARLY)

But go to court and explain your case - if the roadway was 2 lanes each direction, you are good - if the roadway was one lane in each direction and you crossed double yellow, you better just ask to plea down to a lesser charge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia