Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 70,491 times

Advertisements

If I were you, I would pick either CC or KOP. There's nowhere but CC where you'll find a truly urban experience (which still won't be like Manh, but then again nothing is). Yes, all of the other areas discussed are "walkable" and have some bars and restaurants, but, once you've visited them all and walked everywhere there is to walk, what will you really gain in exchange for the commute?

Traffic is bad in all directions from King of Prussia. If you're going to commute anyway, you might as well make it the longer commute (which probably will take 50 minutes-1 hour at rush hour) and have all the advantages of city life at home.

OR

You could live a few minutes from work, saving yourself up to 10 hours a week, and use that time to travel into the city in the evenings - when the trip will be perhaps 30 mins at most. (Weekends are a different story as I-76 backs up during the day on Saturdays and Sundays, too.)

Honestly, not to get too personal, but it really depends on how much you plan to go out at night and how much random socializing you want to do. There's not much of the latter in KOP, and what there is happens mostly in the Happy Hour period rather than later in the evening.

Last edited by a little edgy; 06-13-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM

24 posts, read 76,349 times
So, a quick update and a few more questions. I actually ended up getting placed by my job in their Wyomissing/Reading office. That pretty much knocked Center City and even Manayunk out of the picture for me. So, I ended up renting a place in Phoenixville (newer condo building in downtown Bridge street). I like the fact that there are some restuarants and bars in the neighborhood, and I was able to get a really nice apt. The commute to my office shoudn't be too bad. I know that pville is still "up and coming", but it didn't seem bad when i went to check out it out. I haven't really been all over the town yet, but where I am on Bridge street (near the Iron Hill Brew), it looked OK.

Aside from the bars/restaurants on Bridge st, there didn't seem to be many other shopping options. Any ideas on where to do grocery shopping, quicker food/deli's/pizza, etc, drug stores? Anything within walking distance outside of Bridge st?

Are there any other areas outside of Bridge street that are decent?

Any decent gyms in Phoenixville?

Any areas to avoid?

Thanks again for all your help. I have no idea how I would have went about my search without all of you!

Last edited by StonyRoss; 07-18-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
Default Phoenixville is a great homebase

I live in Berks County but my son lived for a couple of years in downtown Phoenixville (leaving a year ago), so first of all, congrats on making a great move to a very happening place for 20 somethings. My son was always at open mic nights and movie nights and just hanging out and really enjoyed it.

The closest grocery store is the Acme Market on Starr Street. It's walkable from Bridge but a bit of a hike. Take the car if you're gonna have bags. On the other hand I must HIGHLY recommend Produce Junction across the bridge in Mont Clair. Fresh and reasonable produce and flowers. You gotta stop by!

While in Mont Clare, stop by Fitzwater Station for darn good bar food. It is on the banks of the Schuylkill Canal and many people kayak from over there.

My son had a membership at the Phoenixville YMCA, which is just a little bit outside downtown. It is only a few years old and had a great pool, too. The price was really good, according to my son, and you are not pressured to get more membership than you need (unlike some of the private gyms).

I can't think of any bad areas in Phoenixville. Some places are a little run down, poorer basically, but not dangerous. To check out nightlife, go to phoenixvillemagazine.net. They have who is playing at which bars, and special events to make note of. If you need to know where to go for stuff, just ask someone, people are pretty friendly in Phoenixville, I've found.

(One thing, your commute will be rather long, 40- 50 minutes probably, but it's a reverse commute from the bulk of the traffic, so you could be coming the other direction and REALLY be stuck in traffic. So it could be worse.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia