Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 76,328 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Philadelphia area in August and I am trying to figure out where to live. Since I will be working in KOP, it looks like Center City might be too long of a commute.

Any ideas where a low 30s male should live? I am originally from NYC so I want to be somewhere where there are things to do, but I am fine with things being more laid back than Manhattan. I have been looking at Manayunk and Conshy because of the commute. Parking seems to be an issue in parts of Manayunk, and so I have been looking a bit more at Conshy.

I am looking to spend max $1300, and would like to have a decent apartment. Any other areas that I should look at?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
You might want to check out Wayne or Ardmore. Wayne is a little more expensive and has a slightly older clientele but it's a nice area and easily commutable to KOP. Also, check out apartments in Plymouth Meeting. PM is very near Conshy but probably has more apartment complexes.

As you are coming from Manhattan remember that all of these areas are suburban with the exception of Manayunk which is in the city but is only a small neighborhood in Philadelphia that does not have as much going on as Manhattan.

BTW, a CC to KOP commute might be annoying, but it's doable. Also, you could check out East Falls in the city. Remember that if you live in the city you will be subject to a city wage tax of about 4% even if you work in the 'burbs. The PA state rate is 3.07%.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I have considering CC on and off for a while now. Since I would need a car to commute everyday, are there any decent areas in CC that I would be able to find parking in?

Any idea how long the commuter would be from KOP to CC? Would it matter where in CC i live based on the commute to KOP? Can I find something in the $1300 price range (1br)?

Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
You should check out Conshohocken and definitely Phoenixville - really up and coming and a better downtown than Conshy. Skip Manayunk and Wayne and Ardmore IMO. You should also check out West Chester but that commute is a bit further.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
If you decide on CC - I would stick to the Art Museum area.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Everywhere in the US is more laid back than Manhattan so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Fairmount & Parkway area if you live in the city (although parking isn't all that easy there either). East Falls is also a good suggestion.

Phoenixville is good for the 'burbs and probably as close as you're going to get to KOP and still be able to walk to a restaurant or bar.

I don't know if your job involves driving but the 124/125 buses run from CC to KOP up the expressway so, if it's convenient to your office, it might be better to be on one rather than stuck in traffic next to one.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
The traffic in CC is crazy.

I would suggest Manyunk, Roxboro, Conshohoken, Norristown, or Phoenixville

They are not Manhatten, but nothing around here is.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Doing research all day, and I really like the Art Museum area. Will the fact that it's towards the west side of CC make my commute any easier? How is the East Falls area? Haven't really been able to figure the area out though the Internet.

As far as Conshy vs Phoenixville, is there much of a difference?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonyRoss View Post
Doing research all day, and I really like the Art Museum area. Will the fact that it's towards the west side of CC make my commute any easier? How is the East Falls area? Haven't really been able to figure the area out though the Internet.

Thanks again everyone!
Conshy has a younger and more "hipper" crowd, with the prices to go with it. Phoenixville is on its way up, but "old Phoenixville" -- blue very blue collar, some lower income -- is still more than half the population there.

Conshy is also inside the outerbelts and feels a bit more connected to the city that Phoenixville, in my opinion.

Last edited by maestro; 05-26-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonyRoss View Post

Thanks again everyone!
your commute from there will definitely be easier. you'd pretty much go up Kelly Drive to East Falls or Manayunk and cross over to the expressway there.

East Falls is more or less an old mill town that was annexed by the city 150 years ago. It was a blue collar neighborhood for a while that had seen better days but it's actually a pretty nice place these days. The bottom of the hill are the smaller houses where the mill workers lived and the top of the hill are the bigger rowhomes, twins and singles where the people with money lived . . . and still live - Arlen Specter and Ed Rendell among them. It's also home to Philadelphia University (formerly named Philly College of Textile and Design) There are a few bars and restaurants down the hill but it's pretty quiet there. On the weekend you'll definitely be headed into CC to hang out.

East Falls, Manayunk and Conshy are all on the R6 RR line. That line ends in Norristown. P-ville will be the next stop on the line whenever they extend it (it's supposed to happen.) but for now, yes, not being connected gives it that "out of the loop" feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia