Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,169,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
What's your solution to human overpopulation then? We are wrecking this planet.
I have not complained about its overpopulation nor will I base my family size on its perceived overpopulation. Is there really proof? Wrecking the planet is not proof; that is just recklessness.

Personally, we limited our family size based on finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM

30 posts, read 28,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The birth of my child, to use her as an example, does not put anyone at risk for harm. She is an absolute miracle and once she hits the 6 month mark she will be going with me in tow to spread some cheer. OTOH, if all you can do is gamble then you certainly shouldn't be creating life. Children are a huge responsibility and those who are too young, too immature, and ill prepared should probably reconsider. And to say again, just because some people suffer does not mean those people, or other people, should lose out on the complete joys of life (if biochemically capable). It really is too bad that you are unable to cherish life. We're here for such an infinitesimal amount of time, just a blip, and you appear to be squandering yours. It's yours to squander, but you have no right to make that same demand of others.
It hasn't caused harm to her until now. How do you know with certainity that your daughter won't experience suffering in her life? Things can change anytime.

It doesn't mean that just because some people would enjoy life that others whose life, would be hell should pay the burden of existence and come to life to suffer. Remember what I said about empathy? You simply don't care if some people will be born to suffer as long as you are having your pleasurable experience. Look at how selfish you are being, only considering your pleasure when it comes to procreation.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lira2 View Post
It hasn't caused harm to her until now. How do you know with certainity that your daughter won't experience suffering in her life? Things can change anytime.
She will probably experience suffering. We all experience suffering. So what? Suffering is not the end of the world. You can actually use suffering energy creatively, productively, and allow it to empower you. You guys are afraid of suffering, afraid of dying, just afraid of everything. I will not teach my daughter to live her life in fear. That, to me, is a waste of time.

Quote:
It doesn't mean that just because some people would enjoy life that others whose life, would be hell should pay the burden of existence and come to life to suffer. Remember what I said about empathy? You simply don't care if some people will be born to suffer as long as you are having your pleasurable experience. Look at how selfish you are being, only considering your pleasure when it comes to procreation.
My experience has nothing to do with your suffering. Stop trying to put that burden on me and grow up.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 AM

30 posts, read 28,971 times
Quote:
She will probably experience suffering. We all experience suffering. So what? Suffering is not the end of the world. You can actually use suffering energy creatively, productively, and allow it to empower you. You guys are afraid of suffering, afraid of dying, just afraid of everything. I will not teach my daughter to live her life in fear. That, to me, is a waste of time.

My experience has nothing to do with your suffering. Stop trying to put that burden on me and grow up.
Suffering is not good. You don't know the amount of suffering your daughter will experience. It can make her life not Worth living. Her suffering can outweight the good of her life. She is not obligated to conform with suffering.

If procreation was criminalized nobody would come to existence to pay the burden for others. Sufferers are being risked for the sake of others, thus paying the price of existence for them.
We should protect potential children from being harmed by avoiding procreation.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lira2 View Post
Suffering is not good. You don't know the amount of suffering your daughter will experience. It can make her life not Worth living. Her suffering can outweight the good of her life. She is not obligated to conform with suffering.
I do not think you have the experience or wisdom where it comes to my family, or anybody that is not you really, to ascertain our value of suffering and how it is used. Human beings have been utilizing suffering from the beginning of history.

Quote:
If procreation was criminalized nobody would come to existence to pay the burden for others. Sufferers are being risked for the sake of others, thus paying the price of existence for them.
We should protect potential children from being harmed by avoiding procreation.
Have you ever stopped to consider that your suffering has something to teach you? Or perhaps this is just an argument for eugenics.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,459 times
@ Braunwyn do you get a kick out of bullying people on forums? A truly happy person would not engage in such behavior. As a parent yourself, I hope you don't teach your child that bullying and tormenting others is acceptable. And god help you if you ever have to suffer from a mental illness.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
@ Braunwyn do you get a kick out of bullying people on forums? A truly happy person would not engage in such behavior. As a parent yourself, I hope you don't teach your child that bullying and tormenting others is acceptable. And god help you if you ever have to suffer from a mental illness.
Do you guys get a kick out of calling parents immoral and criminals? The reality is that it's you guys who are attempting to bully. You want to control people, not me. You don't even have the self-awareness to recognize it. I don't tell anyone how to live their lives. It's not my place. And not only do you have the nerve to make demands on millions of strangers about what they do with their bodies, you expect to be treated like babes yourselves. That's wrong on so many levels.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,073,045 times
Quote:
Just an FYI. I posted this on another board, regarding why some people can handle adversity and others can't, when they both experience the same exact situation. It has nothing to do with how you're brought up or what you're taught, or how much love your parents gave you. It's written in our DNA. We're learning more and more about it. One long-term study showed outside factors had nothing to do with how one will handle situations.

Which basically means, no matter what you do for your daughter, how she is able to cope with suffering when it befalls her, is completely upon her. You can do what you can, but in the end, it's already written in her DNA. My BF is a very strong person. No fear of anything. Lots of ambition. But he has been plagued by depression since he was a kid. He's been through hell and keeps on ticking. However, does he want to die? Yes. Does he want his suffering to end? Yes. Does he hate the world and everyone in it? Yes (well, almost everyone). Does he feel worthless? Yes. Does he live? Yes. Does he suffer? Daily. Does he feel his life is worth living? Sometimes. Does he wish he was never born? All the time.

Will he have children? Nope. Because he knows he can pass on his mental illness (clinical aka chemical depression is hereditary as are other mental illnesses) and his lovely migraines, asthma, allergies, etc. He doesn't want any person/child to ever suffer like he has. Trust me, it has nothing to do with fear or strength. It is, what it is. To suffer for over 25 year like he has, that in itself is strength. But yet, many will see him as weak because he "can't handle it or" nor "get over it".

I think all the other person is saying is, you can't control what happens or how your daughter will handle life. You can teach her and hope for the best, but you can't really be sure how she will cope. And for you to honestly believe that you can turn this little life into what you want it to be. That's a bit egotistical, wouldn't you say? You can give your daughter all the right tools, but let's try to remember, in the end, she has a brain of her own and will use the tools as you hope for, or not (not necessarily by choice), and not be able to cope with life in the way you want her to.

You can think positively all you want, but the truth is, you have no clue what your daughter will be like in 12 years. Will she be able to cope with getting older, high school, all the crazy hormones, mean kids who make fun of her, will she have friends, will she be plagued with depression by that point? Or maybe she will be a happy, cheery, loved-by-everyone young tween. No one truly knows. No matter what you do, how you raise her, the tools you teach her, in the end, you still don't truly know until the time comes. Like my mom always says to me, "you were this happy kid until you hit about 12, what happened to you?" Ditto with my BF. Happy, normal kid until he was about 12.

Anyhow, that's just my rendition of what is going on. Life is a gamble. Some win, some break even, some lose.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,459 times
Quote:
Do you guys get a kick out of calling parents immoral and criminals? The reality is that it's you guys who are attempting to bully. You want to control people, not me. You don't even have the self-awareness to recognize it. I don't tell anyone how to live their lives. It's not my place. And not only do you have the nerve to make demands on millions of strangers about what they do with their bodies, you expect to be treated like babes yourselves. That's wrong on so many levels.
Point me to one of my posts where I said that. I even said that I don't believe in such extremes, but I do agree that at some point the human race will need to face up to the overpopulation issue, especially as we are grossly incapable of managing the environment.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM

70 posts, read 89,005 times
Quote:
It really is too bad that you are unable to cherish life.
This is so cliché that it's not funny. You sound similar to the pro-life movement.

Quote:
What's interesting is that working moms volunteer more than anybody.
What is that supposed to mean? That makes sense anyway. They're already working. Why not do more work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy