Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:47 AM

160 posts, read 147,132 times

Advertisements

If you could steal, lie, cheat, murder, etc without getting caught and also not feel any remorse while doing it or in the future looking back on what you did, would you live a life without morals and doing whatever benefited without thinking if its good or bad?

I think there wouldn't be any reason to be a nice/moral person anymore. I wouldn't steal because it would be illegal and i would go to prison and also because i would feel bad doing it, but what stop me from stealing if i would never get caught and i didn't feel bad about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times
no one is going to come here and say yes .. the first person to do so will get beat to death by all the " holier than thou " members on here ...

Old 12-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
no one is going to come here and say yes .. the first person to do so will get beat to death by all the " holier than thou " members on here ...
ill take this as your yes

Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
but your initial premise is that you wouldn't get caught, therefore you would not go to prison.

Doubtful. There's always possibility of someone trying to get revenge. Payback's a blip on the c-d forum.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
but your initial premise is that you wouldn't get caught, therefore you would not go to prison.

Doubtful. There's always possibility of someone trying to get revenge. Payback's a blip on the c-d forum.
what if no one would get revenge on you...

Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 AM

993 posts, read 767,520 times
If I didn't feel guilty about immoral behavior then I wouldn't consider such behavior immoral.

So yeah, I'd lie, cheat, steal and destroy to achieve my ends. Rules only apply to the other wimps, right? Narcissists do it everyday.

I don't think that way.....I try to live by a socially accepted moral code and have paid a financial cost for doing so. But I saw it in the business world everyday.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
what if no one would get revenge on you...
What if whiskey flowed from the cold water taps...

Old 12-15-2016, 10:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
If you could steal, lie, cheat, murder, etc without getting caught and also not feel any remorse while doing it or in the future looking back on what you did, would you live a life without morals and doing whatever benefited without thinking if its good or bad?

I think there wouldn't be any reason to be a nice/moral person anymore. I wouldn't steal because it would be illegal and i would go to prison and also because i would feel bad doing it, but what stop me from stealing if i would never get caught and i didn't feel bad about it?
Without remorse? Well, I guess I would. If I don't recognize that there is anything to be remorseful about why would I believe or feel that I did something wrong? Sounds like you are talking about having a sociopathic personality as if it were an intellectual decision. Makes no sense.

In order to willingly refrain from actions I have to have some belief that they are wrong. Otherwise one only refrains from fear of what others will do to you.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:52 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:

If you didn't feel any remorse then you probably wouldn't consider it "immoral" so the question becomes moot.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:01 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Quote:

It's not a sense of morals, exactly. It's just a sense of how you live with other human beings in the world. Do you want other people stealing your stuff? OK, then, don't steal their stuff. I am a firm believer that you treat other people the way you want to be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy