Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,567 times

Advertisements

Hello. Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this and offers advice! I'm planning to move to the Phoenix area after my home sells in Oregon, so hopefully this fall. (Fingers crossed!)

Here are a few things about me that will maybe help you to be able to suggest areas/neighborhoods for me!

I'm single, professional, 33 yrd old female.
I work from home full-time.
I intend to rent for a year or so when I move down there.
I definitely need an area where I feel safe being on my own.
Since I don't commute, I don't worry about traffic.
I'd like to live in a busy area (friendly people, bars, restaurants, gym, coffee shops), but do NOT want to live in a snobby "plastic" area.
The amount of rent I'm willing to pay is probably about $1000 maximum, but that would have to be for a pretty specatular place. It also depends on what amenities and utilities are included. I'd prefer be around $700-$800 for a large one bedroom.

I'm not sure what else I should offer for information, but will quickly respond to any questions!!!

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 50,242 times
cldxoxo, Are you intent on living in Phoenix itself, or would one of the outlying cities that are part of the metropolitan area be Ok?

I think where you would go would depend on your specific interests. Downtown Phoenix has a lot of amenities (they also have the better museums and libraries for the metro area) , but finding a safe neighborhood there can be pretty tricky. Also, if you live anywhere in the metro area, you can still register at the Phoenix library and just drive the distance there when you want to for that or the museams, etc- that's what I do. I'm not personally into clubs and nightlife stuff these days, so I can't answer to where would be the best for that. Tempe might be best for you (Mill Avenue area tends to have a lot of the things you mention wanting), but I can't tell you for sure if you would be able to find anything affordable in a safe area there. Parts of Peoria and Glendale are also good for being near things and not being too scary. Surprise (yep, that's the city's name!) has a fair amount of things too...and is pretty safe. For the scary areas, avoid Maryvale, South Phoenix, downtown Buckeye and Sun Dance (it's working on being the new maryvale), and the parts of Glendale within 2 square miles of 67th Ave and Bethany Homes. Some parts of Mesa are also getting pretty scary. I think everybody defines snobby differently, so it's harder to tell you where to avoid there...Scottsdale is considered to be more upscale, parts of Phoenix around 83rd ave and Deervalley are more upscale as well. Ahwatukee, Anthem, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills are also quite upscale. I still keep thinking Tempe might be best for you.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,567 times
Thanks for the response Eula3! I'm not intent on living in the city of Phoenix. Definitely open to surrounding areas. I'm not huge on nightlife in the sense of "clubbing" or things like that. I enjoy going dancing once in a while, but I think I'm past the days of hitting night clubs on a regular basis. Is Tempe going to be 20-somethings partying all the time? Or is there a 30-something crowd also? I do like to go to restaurants, cafes and bars in the evenings and weekends and would like to have lots available within a radius of just a few blocks. I'll be going out mostly on my own at first to meet people etc, so noisy dance clubs aren't really what I'm looking for. I don't necessarily need to be close to the "attractions" either like museums, etc. I'll drive when I'm ready to go see those. Since I don't commute and I'm single, I'm interested in a place that is dense with people and not so much like a residential area suited for families. Hope that makes sense and helps you guide me!!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM

235 posts, read 756,011 times
My best advice for you is, don't do it. Kidnapping Capital of the U.S.A. – Phoenix Arizona : Homeland Security News

I have lived in both Phoenix and Oregon, and my god do I miss Oregon. Be careful before you make a mistake that may cost you or a loved ones life.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
My best advice for you is, don't do it. Kidnapping Capital of the U.S.A. – Phoenix Arizona : Homeland Security News

I have lived in both Phoenix and Oregon, and my god do I miss Oregon. Be careful before you make a mistake that may cost you or a loved ones life.

Pay NO attention to these kidnapping hysteria-mongers. If you are not in the illegal alien or drug trade, you are not going to be kidnapped. If you live in a good neighborhood and use common sense, you aren't likely to be a crime victim at all.

Since you asked, once you get out of the immediate area of the University in Tempe, you aren't aware the University is there, and the demographics change a lot. I've lived there a long time as a single woman, and don't care to live anywhere else in the Valley.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM

49 posts, read 142,781 times
Fountain Hills is a good choice
and the middle part of Scottsdale, within a couple
miles of Shea/101. Via Linda east of the 101 has
nice apt complexes in the $800-$1200 range.
Frank Lloyd Wright north of Shea also has lots
of nice apt complexs. Many of the apt complexs
in Scottsdale have been turned into condominiums
but you can still get rentals in those.
Hayden, between Shea and and Chapparel is nice,
but don't go any farther south then Indian School,
its gets pretty scarry down there and has higher
crime rate the closer you get to McDowell.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Fountain Hills, for a young single female? Oh, I don't think so. Too far out to get anywhere to do things, and not a lot to do out there. It's certainly not "busy". It is not a destination, for the most part, but a relatively remote bedroom community popular with retirees and those with families who don't mind long commutes.

Scottsdale scary south of INDIAN SCHOOL? No, not at all. Just south of Indian School is the main part of downtown Scottsdale, with shops and restaurants and apartments, too. Actually, there is NO part of Scottsdale that I would call "scary". Is south Scottsdale lower income and slightly higher crime, perhaps? Yes. But too many people on CD equate low income, and perhaps different ethnic demographics, with "scary". Sometimes there does appear to be a correlation, but other times there is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area