Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM

197 posts, read 393,165 times

Advertisements

It can be worthwhile to take the time to fight the ticket. The issuers are familiar with this happening, so it won't be a suprise and they have a process in place. They do require verifiable evidence, and the picture is usually enough to prove it wasn't you behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengle1013 View Post
There are no absolutes and people that think in those terms exploit laws and lawsuits by deliberately watching for when people look in a different direction and then yes, slamming on the brakes to be hit and then sue like crazy, oldest scam in the book. The way you describe this in absolute terms is not correct and opens the system up to abuses and yes, people do abuse this for lawsuits. Also, if someone runs a red light and collides with another car it will always be their fault right? However, if you have a green light and you see someone "running the red light" you cannot legally floor it, in an effort to smash into them or have them hit you and be "in the right" simply because "they ran the red light" when you could have stopped but decided to cash in because you were "right." Slamming on the brakes is abuse of the rules, just because you can legally do something doesn't make it right and the way you characterize the law in itself is an example of what is wrong with the way people drive around here. If traffic is steadily moving along at 70, yes 15 mph over the speed limit, (isn't that terrible?!?!) is it also legal for you change lanes into the fast lane and slam on the breaks down to 55 in hopes of being hit and suing someone because you were right? Let's say someone did just that and caused a multi car accident and a fatality. Would you still say that person was "right?" Do you think the court would agree that you were right?
There is a difference in following too close and being victim of a multi car slam scam. That is not what is being discussed here.

Following too close is illegal, and that is the point of the discussion. If you don't believe following too close to stop is illegal they you need to go back to drivers school read the driving laws

I won't run a red light because some idiot is following too close. He has to watch for me. I don't have to watch for him.

I would rather him hit me in the rear when I'm obeying the law, than me run a red light and hit another car or bike in the intersection, and kill someone.

The laws were made for you as well as me. If you want to make your own laws then it will catch up to you one day.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 105,298 times
So when someone pulls in front of you and locks up the brakes, ya better hope you don't hit them because if you do, it will all be YOUR fault. You are not the one to determine the point of the conversation here anymore than you are the one to determine who or what is right and wrong. My dialog with you is over at this point because it's like republicans and democrats... whos right? end of discussion and good day.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM

197 posts, read 393,165 times
We can all just hope the individual in the incident is able to keep their record clean. It looks as though that is everone's hope.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 AM

295 posts, read 552,947 times
Quote:
Sorry if already covered but am curious if any of you have received photo radar tickets yet it was not you driving but someone else who borrowed your car!?!?! Am guessing it just comes to me having to rat out who I loaned my car to or suffer the consequences myself unjustly?
It is something you are going to want to fight in court. I know it might strain your relationship with whoever was driving, but fairness needs to happen in these cases. The court system is set up to deal with the situation that you are discussing.

Contact the number on the ticket and proceed with what needs to get done. Good luck to you!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,419 times
My wife recently received a ticket in the mail(photo radar). The kicker is that it is not even our car. She has never driven any car besides our one and only car. Moreover we have no idea who the car is/was registered to. This is exactly what we wrote back in the citation that was sent to us.

A "minor" detail is that we moved into our house at the beginning of the year. So this car probably belonged to the previous residents of our home. And they forgot to update their address on their car registration.

What the Scottsdale PD did was they identified the address to which the car was registered to and probably identified the only female registered to that address and sent the ticket to her. Another interesting thing is that the citation says the tabs expired in 2009(remember that we closed on the house in 2010).

The dimwits sending out these citations couldn't put one and one together.

Cutting back to the chase...They sent us a declaration stating that the evidence shows that the driver in the photo is my wife. Whichever way I look at it I can't see how they couldn't figure out that they are harrassing the wrong family.

Now, my wife has been summonned for her court hearing. They did not have the presence of mind to ask us for more information/evidence to substantiate what we were saying(although im not sure what more we could have done).

Both of us will lose a combined 6-8 hours for our "day in the court". Missing work is not something my wife and I can afford. Is there restitution that I can expect the judge to order for reparations?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM

13,214 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Any possibility that it was a rental car, and you just forgot? Rental car companies keep computerized records that are unimpeachable given they have drivers license numbers and credit card billing. Your theory that the traffic court looked up the address and assigned the ticket to the current occupant seems highly unlikely. Its is the registration number that's the identifier of the driver and not the address. A more likely scenario would be that they simply misread the registration number.

Anyway, your wife's the one with the ticket. If you choose to go to court with her as well, you can't blame the court for that.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM

102 posts, read 414,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesItCount View Post
My wife recently received a ticket in the mail(photo radar). The kicker is that it is not even our car. She has never driven any car besides our one and only car. Moreover we have no idea who the car is/was registered to. This is exactly what we wrote back in the citation that was sent to us.

A "minor" detail is that we moved into our house at the beginning of the year. So this car probably belonged to the previous residents of our home. And they forgot to update their address on their car registration.

What the Scottsdale PD did was they identified the address to which the car was registered to and probably identified the only female registered to that address and sent the ticket to her. Another interesting thing is that the citation says the tabs expired in 2009 (remember that we closed on the house in 2010).

The dimwits sending out these citations couldn't put one and one together.

Cutting back to the chase...They sent us a declaration stating that the evidence shows that the driver in the photo is my wife. Whichever way I look at it I can't see how they couldn't figure out that they are harassing the wrong family.

Now, my wife has been summoned for her court hearing. They did not have the presence of mind to ask us for more information/evidence to substantiate what we were saying(although I'm not sure what more we could have done).

Both of us will lose a combined 6-8 hours for our "day in court." Missing work is not something my wife and I can afford. Is there restitution that I can expect the judge to order for reparations?
The crazy thing is that "the dimwit" is probably a computer that spit out a form letter and the envelope was probably stuffed by a machine.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM

422 posts, read 792,458 times
Quote:
Sorry if already covered but am curious if any of you have received photo radar tickets yet it was not you driving but someone else who borrowed your car!?!?! Am guessing it just comes to me having to rat out who I loaned my car to or suffer the consequences myself unjustly?
Don't pay it. They will try to serve you with warrant, just ignore the door.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,419 times
kdog...Its not a rental car Plus rental companies dont let the registration expire either Like I said the tabs on the car expired in 2009 and were never renewed. So it is very likely that the previous owners of my house never updated the address associated with the registration.

Oh and since the one and only car that we have is registered under my name... I have to accompany my wife. Remember courts ask for proof/witnesses etc.

In any event I know that the car belongs to the previous home owner because the ticket said that is the name the car is registered too. I have no idea who the previous home owners are because I bought this house from a bank.

QERose... I doubt the "dimwit" is a machine because I sent them a letter telling them that this is not our car. I doubt Scottsdale PD has dimwits(read robots) that can open up letters...read the correspondence, understand them and then send out correspondence that they deem appropriate. If they do... than I can see why they would want to charge random people tickets...Somebody gotta pay for the robots right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area