Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Just in time for the Autumn trout stocking!
I didn't think the Town Lake was part of the Arizona Game and Fish urban fishing program? It's not listed on their stocking schedule. Is there a separate stocking that goes on there? Any info on dates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I'm not sure what program it is part of, but I know that at some point in early winter it is suddenly possible to catch rainbow trout so I had always assume it was stocked.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM

134 posts, read 514,566 times
Seems like it is stock by Arizona Game and Fish

From Tempe Town website:
Tempe Town Lake - Fishing

Fish in Town Lake
While Arizona Game and Fish stocks Tempe Town Lake with trout, anglers can expect to find many other kinds of fish that have made their way to the lake through the Salt River Project canals and Indian Bend Wash. Here are brief descriptions of some fish that might dangle at the end of a hook.....

From Arizona Game and Fish website:

Tempe Town Lake
MANAGEMENT STRATEGY:
Stocked with rainbow trout catchables seasonally in November, December and January. Largemouth Bass bag and size limits in place to protect and balance this expanding fishery. The city of Tempe closely monitors and maintains water quality.

Not sure why it is not there
Arizona Stocking Schedule Fish Stocking

Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM

I think I figured it out. The Urban Fishing Program requires just a Class U license which allows you to fish at all Urban lakes. Tempe Town Lake is not considered an Urban Lake and requires a state Class A license. However, in each case, you need the additional Trout Stamp added to either of the licenses to pull trout out.

Regardless...glad to see it filling back up and hope they can stock by the end of the year!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
Any plans to rebuild the damn and fill it back up?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Any plans to rebuild the damn and fill it back up?

The lake is being re-filled as we "speak"

Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I was out there this morning, sure enough the in-pipe on the Northern side is spewing water out at a high rate and the lake is already a few feet deep.

There are three out of four rubber dams in place, there is some kind of temporary deal sealing the other section.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Tempe has a warranty on the rubber dam that broke and repair costs were covered by the manufacturer under the warranty. However this agreement is due to expire. As far as I know there are plans to replace the rubber dam with something more permanent.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The lake is being re-filled as we "speak"
I just so happend to leave Phx on the 5th of July and didnt hear the news. Good thing though cause Town Lake looks great on July 4th and New Years Eve.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Tempe adds 70,000 insect-eating fish to Town Lake this week

Fish will return to Tempe Town Lake this Thursday morning, when the City of Tempe adds 70,000 small Israeli carp to the incoming water.

The carp are insect larvae eaters, designed to control midge flies around the lake.

Also entering Town Lake are smaller fish, coming with the water flowing into Town Lake from the Roosevelt dam system.

The new fish in the lake are a bit too small for sport fishing. Visitors to the lake are asked not to catch them just yet, as they are necessary for insect control. By giving them a little time, they can grow and reproduce.

The best fishing will begin in late November, when Arizona Game and Fish begins adding rainbow trout to Town Lake. As is tradition, on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, Tempe welcomes back the rainbows with a community celebration. On Nov. 23, 3-5 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish offers a fishing clinic with free use of fishing gear, a helpful hand for new anglers and the opportunity to try the sport without a license for the afternoon.

Town Lake is currently filling at the rate of about 100 cubic feet per second. The city intends to open the lake on the morning of Oct. 26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area