Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times

Advertisements

At my old employer in Scottsdale we were all laid of around July 2009. Of the 10 people in my time, 9 have found equal employment albeit many at slightly lower pay. One person is still out of work after a full year of unemployment. It is still pretty ugly out there. The average person was looking 6 months I would say. This is in IT. On the other hand, the people who have jobs out there feel much safer about their positions than a year ago. So they are looking to buy more now. 80%+ employed weigh more than 10-15% unemployed for the housing market.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM

197 posts, read 393,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
None of those categories have stopped producing foreclosures. But we all get that, I just do not think that people grasp the massive number of foreclosures that are still in the PHX pipeline. There are also plenty of people who have become less eager to pay as their income has decreased, even if the income was not eliminated altogether.
Jobs is really going to be a key factor moving ahead. Once the government stimulus effects have dried up, we can see how much permanent movement was actually created in the economy.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM

295 posts, read 552,761 times
Since the end of the tax credit, I think activity has really slowed down. I don't know what they are going to do, because if they don't bring back the tax credit, housing is going to decline hard again. If they do bring back the tax credit, then what are they going to do, permanently have it there?

I don't think they ever should have had it in the first place, because not it is an artificial necessity and housing can't survive without it.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
AZ's UE rate is actually worse than reported. We have a highly transient work force even in good times. Here in the Valley there is entire class of folks who only live her for an average of about 5 years then leave and that is in good times. This subset of the workforce has been steadily leaving since the downturn hit. They have no ties here so as soon as the job goes - they go. I have heard it said that if these folks stayed around after losing their jobs - our UE stats would rival Michigan’s. Based on 25 years of living here, I believe it. And of this directly impacts home values here.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
AZ's UE rate is actually worse than reported. We have a highly transient work force even in good times. Here in the Valley there is entire class of folks who only live her for an average of about 5 years then leave and that is in good times. This subset of the workforce has been steadily leaving since the downturn hit. They have no ties here so as soon as the job goes - they go. I have heard it said that if these folks stayed around after losing their jobs - our UE stats would rival Michigan’s. Based on 25 years of living here, I believe it. And of this directly impacts home values here.

So it would be better if the unemployed stuck around? If folks who lost their jobs found work in another state, is that not a good thing? I guess I don't get what you are trying to say....
The economy here is not great--it's in the bottom third right now--but it could be worse and I'm glad it's not worse. When the national economy begins to recover, I suspect that Arizon'a economy will grow at a pretty good pace.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM

295 posts, read 552,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I agree with your analysis. Much of the local economy had to do with unskilled, "go with the trend" (real estate) jobs, and as soon as it was over and the easy money went away, so went much of the means of the population. Given much of Arizona's population comes and goes anyways, there isn't really much tying anyone to stay.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Strategic defaults are going to be looked at seriously by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. It does not matter whether they happen in a recourse state or non recourse state, but those institutions are going to sue the deadbeats - mostly specuvestors. The ones who lost their jobs and cannot afford the mortgage can claim economic hardship beyond their control and will not be sued. It will get ugly for the gamblers - specuvestors. And it should get ugly for them.

I'm not sure they would have the resources to do this. And if they do it to one then they would have to do it to all of them seeing as I assume they would have to treat everyone equally. Seems to me that they had a significant role in this mess in the first place by being too lenient with rules and regulations and backing loans that were set up to fail from the beginning. Besides if they do take on the enormous task of going after all strategic defaulters then they better start with big business before they work their way down to the homeowners. And the last thing law abiding, tax paying citizens need is footing the bill for such an undertaking because the money will eventually come from us one way or the other. Don't get me wrong. I think those that knew full well that they could not sustain their no money down inflated investment properties should be penalized. But again I point out that the ones loaning the money were similarly culpable. JMHO and yes I am a realtor but I have never and will never help any client get into something that they don't understand fully and can't handle financially.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I'm not sure they would have the resources to do this. And if they do it to one then they would have to do it to all of them seeing as I assume they would have to treat everyone equally. Seems to me that they had a significant role in this mess in the first place by being too lenient with rules and regulations and backing loans that were set up to fail from the beginning. Besides if they do take on the enormous task of going after all strategic defaulters then they better start with big business before they work their way down to the homeowners. And the last thing law abiding, tax paying citizens need is footing the bill for such an undertaking because the money will eventually come from us one way or the other. Don't get me wrong. I think those that knew full well that they could not sustain their no money down inflated investment properties should be penalized. But again I point out that the ones loaning the money were similarly culpable. JMHO and yes I am a realtor but I have never and will never help any client get into something that they don't understand fully and can't handle financially.
Do you see this behavior happening still/again? After recently looking to buy I was up against speculators/investors/flippers all over the place, was offered a zero down loan from the feds, was offered a stated income loan (at a higher rate of course) so what's changed?
Now that we've finally bought and after speaking with some of our neighbors this area (and I'd have to guess many others) are real close to a huge wave of foreclosures. What I was told after we moved in was that well over half of the people living in our sub were barely hanging on and teetering on the edge right now. If landscaping,curb view and just general neighborhood activity (or lack thereof) are any indication I can believe it.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 41,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. There is far too much talk, and to little enforcement when it comes to most government agencies. The best way to prevent tax paying citizens from being looted is prevention and tighter policies. It will bring greater health in the long run.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:21 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I would rather have a price drop in RE prices than a standard "fits all" tax credit of $8,000. Face it, not all locations are the same. Some are overvalued and some are undervalued. The market is the judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Since the end of the tax credit, I think activity has really slowed down. I don't know what they are going to do, because if they don't bring back the tax credit, housing is going to decline hard again. If they do bring back the tax credit, then what are they going to do, permanently have it there?

I don't think they ever should have had it in the first place, because not it is an artificial necessity and housing can't survive without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area