Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
It could be interesting just to watch, I guess, if you've got nothing better to do. But I would think that every media outlet will have someone there with cameras and tape recorders. Still, you never know if you'll stumble across something unique that no one else picks up on. If you do go, be sure to bring a halfway decent quality camera and/or video recorder and a pad of paper to take detailed notes on.
Yeah... unfortunately I didn't take that much journalism in school. I think I can recall the basics. I have a good digital video camera and have an interesting, personalized version of shorthand (which means my notes have lots of abbreviations and switch languages frequently) and maybe I'll get something. I wonder if CNN, MSNBC Fox, etc. would be too much competition, because they will be there. I have an ideal place in mind... but law enforcement likely has already discovered it and may quarantine that area. A resume, cover letter and writing samples just aren't covering it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,678 times
Quote:
Yeah... unfortunately I didn't take that much journalism in school. I think I can recall the basics. I have a good digital video camera and have an interesting, personalized version of shorthand (which means my notes have lots of abbreviations and switch languages frequently) and maybe I'll get something. I wonder if CNN, MSNBC Fox, etc. would be too much competition, because they will be there. I have an ideal place in mind... but law enforcement likely has already discovered it and may quarantine that area. A resume, cover letter and writing samples just aren't covering it
An internship at one of the smaller newspapers (here or somewhere else) is one way to "break into" that field. Unfortunately, those usually aren't paid. Once upon a time when I was a freshmen in college, I got accepted as an intern at a small paper. I had bills to pay (like tuition), so I had to say no. Turns out my careers since have had absolutely nothing to do with my college education (not that I finished it), so maybe I should have gone for it anyway. Or maybe I just wasn't meant to be a journalist....
If you're willing to put in the [unpaid] work, are willing to accept some rejections and dead ends, the internship thing may be something to consider.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
An internship at one of the smaller newspapers (here or somewhere else) is one way to "break into" that field. Unfortunately, those usually aren't paid. Once upon a time when I was a freshmen in college, I got accepted as an intern at a small paper. I had bills to pay (like tuition), so I had to say no. Turns out my careers since have had absolutely nothing to do with my college education (not that I finished it), so maybe I should have gone for it anyway. Or maybe I just wasn't meant to be a journalist....
If you're willing to put in the [unpaid] work, are willing to accept some rejections and dead ends, the internship thing may be something to consider.
Yeah... but I graduated almost 2 years ago. I tried to do volunteer work with the Greater Phoenix Economic Chamber of Commerce, but they blew me off. I think it's little things like that which have soured my view of Phoenix and have made me want to move. I was willing to work free, but they didn't even respond. I can't afford to move out of state and volunteer, otherwise I would.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM

197 posts, read 393,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Yeah... but I graduated almost 2 years ago. I tried to do volunteer work with the Greater Phoenix Economic Chamber of Commerce, but they blew me off. I think it's little things like that which have soured my view of Phoenix and have made me want to move. I was willing to work free, but they didn't even respond. I can't afford to move out of state and volunteer, otherwise I would.
Many graduates are in the same position that you are in. The local job market is extremely difficult, and there are no signs it will be improving any time soon. Keep your spirits up though, whether scrounging around longer, or moving to somewhere with better employment, you will be fine.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
Many graduates are in the same position that you are in. The local job market is extremely difficult, and there are no signs it will be improving any time soon. Keep your spirits up though, whether scrounging around longer, or moving to somewhere with better employment, you will be fine.
Thank you. I know jobs are out there... it's just frustrating with so much competition

Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I know jobs are out there... it's just frustrating with so much competition
If you think of ways to differentiate yourself from the competition, it can helpful in tailoring your approach. There is a lot of energy in the D.C. area, have you considered the low unemployment region over there?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
If you think of ways to differentiate yourself from the competition, it can helpful in tailoring your approach. There is a lot of energy in the D.C. area, have you considered the low unemployment region over there?
I have... I'm just trying to find something they have for me. I actually did start the application process for the CIA (because of my language skills), but they said something in my application made me ineligible.

I do recall something getting passed in Congress in 2009 of which Harry Mitchell was a sponsor... I'm not sure if it's a new department or something, but it was like an official American tourism organization, which would involve heavier marketing abroad. They said America surprisingly spends very little money on marketing. Anyway, the aim is to get more foreign money spent on our shores. They may even open local offices like some federal agencies do. I have experience in the travel industry and using language skills. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to look that up right now.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I have... I'm just trying to find something they have for me. I actually did start the application process for the CIA (because of my language skills), but they said something in my application made me ineligible.

I do recall something getting passed in Congress in 2009 of which Harry Mitchell was a sponsor... I'm not sure if it's a new department or something, but it was like an official American tourism organization, which would involve heavier marketing abroad. They said America surprisingly spends very little money on marketing. Anyway, the aim is to get more foreign money spent on our shores. They may even open local offices like some federal agencies do. I have experience in the travel industry and using language skills. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to look that up right now.
It is a really great thing your language skills are coming in handle. They can be a the cuttin edge in a close tie between applicants.

There are quite a few other agencies that you would still have access to. There is a lot of money being poured into the federal region such as D.C. Texas has a lot of economic growth and expansion right now too. What thoughts have you given on this?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,678 times
Quote:
There is a lot of energy in the D.C. area, have you considered the low unemployment region over there?
D.C's unemployment is worse than Arizona's.
Arizona 9.6%
D.C. 10%

Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
D.C's unemployment is worse than Arizona's.
Arizona 9.6%
D.C. 10%
Arizona's U-6 unemployment rate is 18.5%, while D.C.'s is 14.8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area