Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM

159 posts, read 397,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Comparing our modern synthetic-stucco and styrofoam boxes (houses) to Egyptian constructs is just crazy. Most business-buildings in the valley are little more than glorified pole-barns. Our houses would disappear in relatively short order without regular termite treatment (modern termiticides last less than a decade).

While the lack of moisture is good for some materials, leave a wood board outside for a few weeks and it will twist, warp, and start to fall apart from the sun exposure.
My son mashed a butt sized dent in the side of my home office that was constructed using the popular "synthetic-stucco" method. Thank god the rest of my house is block construction! This method is nothing like the old stucco methods which used lathe and thick layers of stucco. In 40+ years, most of the synthetic-stucco foam boxes out here will be rotted out shacks due to physical damage and slow water invasion (if the termites don't clean'm out first!). Just Google "stucco nightmares".

Reminds me of the water resistant "greenboard" in showers and aluminum wiring used in the 70's. Cheap & works great for the first 20 years but then falls apart or burns up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I just figured it out. The only thing that would be left in the area is the old Trotter Park building on the west side near the 10 and the 303.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,933 times
I think the original book on this subject mentioned that the Boulder Dam hydroelectric station would provide power for the longest time (unattended) of any energy source...so maybe Phoenix isn't such a bad choice if you plan to be the last man on earth, you'd have enough power to run your freezer for a while. Likewise, Palo Verde would eventually just shut down and not blow up. At least, that's the way it's designed (nuclear plants aren't nuclear devices - in a worst case scenario, like 3 Mile Island or Chernobyl, they could leak radioactive material but it takes a lot of things happening in just the right sequence to trigger a nuclear explosion, it's not easy to do).

I was trying to think of post-apocalyptic flicks set in Phoenix... A BOY AND HIS DOG, based on the Harlan Ellison novella is one, where Phoenix has turned into what looks like a massive dry lake with structures all buried underground. There was also A FIRE IN THE SKY (1978) where Phoenix was hit by a meteor.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I think the original book on this subject mentioned that the Boulder Dam hydroelectric station would provide power for the longest time (unattended) of any energy source...so maybe Phoenix isn't such a bad choice if you plan to be the last man on earth, you'd have enough power to run your freezer for a while. Likewise, Palo Verde would eventually just shut down and not blow up. At least, that's the way it's designed (nuclear plants aren't nuclear devices - in a worst case scenario, like 3 Mile Island or Chernobyl, they could leak radioactive material but it takes a lot of things happening in just the right sequence to trigger a nuclear explosion, it's not easy to do).

I was trying to think of post-apocalyptic flicks set in Phoenix... A BOY AND HIS DOG, based on the Harlan Ellison novella is one, where Phoenix has turned into what looks like a massive dry lake with structures all buried underground. There was also A FIRE IN THE SKY (1978) where Phoenix was hit by a meteor.
I've been trying to find Fire in the Sky, but on youtube it always confuses it with the other movie of the same name.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
It's funny, you folks are speaking of this area without humans for 100 years. Any area in the world would be overrun by nature with no human involvement. Why do you think people pay Pedro to cut the grass? because he is controlling nature.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 103,980 times
Its been dead since 2007 whent the economic depression started. People who already knew what was happening began to leave the state. Right now, Az is hanging on a thread because of an impasse with the FEDS over immigration issues likewise the state revenue has drop double digit bringing AZ even more into deeper waters of trouble fear and neglect. Only the strong survives, yes. The strong bank accounts, assets and less liabilities but for those who work 8-12 hrs each day it is a nightmare. Even on my part, being a retiree, I have second thoughts of staying here even longer because of the facts laying around AZ but yet I believe on the Phoenix Bird, from the ashes it burns down to the ashes it will RISE up again...question is...WHEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area