Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 9,659 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from California to Arizona. After some investigation, it looks like Buckeye is a good possibility. The property seems to be quite inexpensive with apparently decent homes in the $50,000 to $60,000 range according to Realtor.com and AZMoves.com.

We will be retired so commutes aren't an issue. The availabilty of medical care is a greater issue. So is safety and security. Buckeye was described as being "out there'. Is it still? Is it relatively safe? Quite frankly I am a bit tired of dodging bullets all the time in the "safe" California city that we now live in. After living in mega cities all our lives, we feel ready for a small town.

What does it realistically look like for a couple of retirees that don't want to be in a retirement community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Now that I think of it, if anyone knows about El Mirage, that info would be helpful too. I am an artist and I learned that El Mirage was trying to get a new art district started and would be open to new artists.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,378,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyK63 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving from California to Arizona. After some investigation, it looks like Buckeye is a good possibility. The property seems to be quite inexpensive with apparently decent homes in the $50,000 to $60,000 range according to Realtor.com and AZMoves.com.

We will be retired so commutes aren't an issue. The availabilty of medical care is a greater issue. So is safety and security. Buckeye was described as being "out there'. Is it still? Is it relatively safe? Quite frankly I am a bit tired of dodging bullets all the time in the "safe" California city that we now live in. After living in mega cities all our lives, we feel ready for a small town.

What does it realistically look like for a couple of retirees that don't want to be in a retirement community?
There are three Buckeyes which I will call Old Buckeye, New Buckeye and Nice Buckeye. Old Buckeye truly is a little old style town with a old-fashioned downtown. It is rather rundown and impoverished, though. It is mostly people of Hispanic descent, many of whom have lived there for generations. You probably would not fit in. New Buckeye grew up over about 3 years of boom and when the boom stopped and the housing prices crashed, New Buckeye crashed along with them with foreclosures, empty houses, second class schools, and people who could get out, getting out. I don't think it has a great future ahead and if I were looking to retire, I would look somewhere else. The bullets may not be flying like where you are now, but give it time. The old adage - you get what you pay for - applies to 50K neighborhoods. Don't delude yourself. Nice Buckeye is Verrado and you won't find anything for 60K there. It is a very nice area separated from the rest by 6 lanes of freeway. I'd not hesitate to move there.

There is yet another Buckeye I forgot - Way Out There Buckeye aka Tartesso. Tartesso would be a possibility but it is anything but convenient at this time. It got put in mothballs with the recession.

You would have to drive to Goodyear for medical care and even beyond for some things. But Goodyear is the closest thing to a city you will find out there. If you can afford a little more, Goodyear would also be a much better choice right now.

You might also consider Queen Creek and Florence (new areas). These are on the other side of the world from Buckeye, but my personal opinion is they are likely to have a better future at least in the nearer term.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,529,365 times
Also, be aware, that those homes in the $50-$60k range either 1) need a lot of work (are a complete mess, trashed by their previous owners before the bank took the home back) or 2) will have multiple cash offers, and likely will not go for the list price.
Either way, Sundance (and neighborhoods within a couple miles of Sundance) are not bad, Verrado is very nice (but above your price), Tartesso and Sun City Festival are pretty far out there.
El Mirage is hit or miss. The further away from Grande Ave you are the better.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:34 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,352,610 times
I agree with Ponderosa - from what I read so far from you - the EASTERN exurbs might be a better choice. You wont find anything in decent shape or area here in Casa Grande for 60K, but out in Coolidge or Florence or you very well could. All your medical services can be met either by the new hospital in Florence - its small for now but Im sure there are medical offices with it - or by driving into Casa Grande where there is a full service hospital and lots of medical services of all types.

Also, on the eastern end you are that much closer to TUCSON (less than an hour) which will appeal to your arts interests.

I KNOW you could find a nice place itself for that price in Arizona City, and AZ City is not a bad place at all for the retired folk, but the only bad thing is they have NO services. You would need to drive the 15 mins into Casa Grande for groceries and anything else - whereas Coolidge and Florence at least have some services in place. But, the lots in AZ City are very big, there is a little lake, and a lot of the homes are very new and nice at great prices.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,193,088 times
You did not say how large of a house you need, but Buckeye is a good choice especially if you wish to travel back to California often. It certainly is a better choice than El Mirage. Not much out there for artists though. Mostly farms, cookie cutter subdivisions and a little golf. Lots of driving.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Buckeye appealed to me because it's a 5 hour drive from there to my son's doorstep. When I looked at homes on line it's all I can do, the homes were small, 1,100 to 1,300 sq ft but quite new many of them built in the last two years. There are quite a few available. From what I've seen - a lot. We are looking for something small, there is only the two of us, the cats and a dog. Proximity to schools isn't a considertion. Neither of us even has small children within three generations that would visit.

The price range appealed because it would be a cash sale. I'll check out Florence though and Arizona City.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:02 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,378,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyK63 View Post
Buckeye appealed to me because it's a 5 hour drive from there to my son's doorstep. When I looked at homes on line it's all I can do, the homes were small, 1,100 to 1,300 sq ft but quite new many of them built in the last two years. There are quite a few available. From what I've seen - a lot. We are looking for something small, there is only the two of us, the cats and a dog. Proximity to schools isn't a considertion. Neither of us even has small children within three generations that would visit.

The price range appealed because it would be a cash sale. I'll check out Florence though and Arizona City.
I do see a lot of gray haired people out there as I drive around. . I would not rule it out. You are right there are a zillion two year old houses there and you might find one that perfectly fits your needs. It isn't gangland and you really don't hear about Buckeye on the news like west or south Phoenix, but it is not as nice as it might have been had the recession not hit it so hard. You need to have a look for yourself. I've said before that I think CA people live in enough of a similar environment to PHX that they can make pretty good judgments about a neighborhood and how it fits with their ideas.

As I said earlier you may find yourself driving to Goodyear for things, but Buckeye - probably in the area you are looking if you are seeing two yo houses - has a fairly large strip mall area with a Lowe's, Fry's Food, banks, and several chain restaurants - all clean, new and safe. I used to go there quite often before Goodyear got the same things. Still do sometimes, because I like to drive by all the farms on the way out instead of the traffic lights that are on every corner in Goodyear now.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,529,365 times
There's an age restricted neighborhood within Sundance....

Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM

I know about the age restricted community but I don't really want to live someplace like that. For one thing the HOA fees for all those amenities are too expensive for what you get and I'm not one for mixers and get to know all the other old folks.

I appreciate everything everyone said. I'll make it out there for a personal look-see soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area