Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the most desirable place to live:
Litchfield Park 5 16.13%
Avondale 3 9.68%
Mesa 6 19.35%
Goodyear 2 6.45%
Other (Explain) 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM

83 posts, read 185,644 times

Advertisements

I've been doing my research now for a good year on relocating out there. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down some suburbs but it never hurts to get real opinions and besides, I like seeing all types of feedback.

First of all, we are relocating from Minnesota to AZ. Yes, I've been in the heat, I'm a California native from the valley where the pollution and heat are BAD. So we know what HOT is because we've already lived it.

NOW, with that said, here's what we're lookin for:

We have a 15 year old son and need a GOOD school, both high school and college.

Would like a suburb/city that has low-crime.

Close to a lake.

====
I plan on going into a completely different field of work (currently IT project manager) but will take when I can get to secure some funds. I'd like to work for the city or somethin simple. The coroporate life has jaded me at this point.

As mentioned earlier, I've narrowed down a few places and we will have 2-3 days out there to lock somethin down in April and I just want to be prepared to manage/use our time wisely.

Here's the places we're interested in:
Litchfield Park
Avondale
Mesa
Goodyear

We would just like some feedback, please help, any information is appreciated. I also included a poll for some opinions.

Edit: I must note that once we get out there we will be renting for a year before we decide on a home. Are there plenty of rental units? How is the job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
What lakes are close to Avondale, Litchfield Park or Goodyear (I'm not counting artificial or golf course lakes)?

If you mean Lake Pleasant, there's other closer suburbs. Mesa is not a bad drive to the closer in Salt River lakes, but may not be the best choice in terms of schools. How close to a lake do you need to be???

The cities or the county or the state are NOT hiring much these days due to budget issues. You might find something with the federal govt in Phx in that field, but I would not count on local or state govt jobs.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,656 times
In east Mesa, your close to Salt River, Sauguro, Roosevelt, and somewhat near Canyon Lake. But Mesa is the most suburban out of all of your choices.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Sauguro has caught my attention for the most part. As I start looking at house on the web, I noticed that most places are super-suburbia. I prefer to have SOME space between my fellow neighbor and was referred to Apache Junction and Gilbert.

Thoughts on these places?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We chose to live in north Peoria mainly for the high school as our son was 15 when we moved here from CA. There are two very good high schools up here. You may want to add Vistancia to your list of master planned communities to look at.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We chose to live in north Peoria mainly for the high school as our son was 15 when we moved here from CA. There are two very good high schools up here. You may want to add Vistancia to your list of master planned communities to look at.
Got it and thanks for the PM.

I'm not fully sold on the "Planned Community" idea yet. I like privacy to an extent.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Sauguro has caught my attention for the most part. As I start looking at house on the web, I noticed that most places are super-suburbia. I prefer to have SOME space between my fellow neighbor and was referred to Apache Junction and Gilbert.

Thoughts on these places?
Other than a few neighborhoods with large lots for animals, etc., Gilbert is the height of suburbia. You won't find space between the houses. AJ is hit or miss, part of it in one county, part of it in another. All kinds of different housing there, you may find something with a little more space, but whether it's something you'd otherwise like is hard to say. Schools not great there.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Any thoughts on:

Tempe
Avondale

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM

652 posts, read 2,712,127 times
Have you considered Phoenix? In my opinion the best neighborhoods in the valley are the historical districts in the city, but if you insist on the 'burbs I'd go with Tempe.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Any thoughts on:

Tempe
Avondale
Tempe is a very nice place, okay, I'm biased, I've lived there for all but two of the last 37 years. There are some older neighborhoods with somewhat larger lots, if you don't want to be bumped right up against your neighbor. Very good schools.

Avondale is pretty much suburbia, again, there are some areas to the south that are a bit more rural. Don't know much about the schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area