Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you move to Phoenix, or why do you dream of moving to Phoenix?
Snowless winter, climate 48 60.76%
Job prospect 20 25.32%
Family/friends 14 17.72%
Low cost of housing 22 27.85%
Esthetics 13 16.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecomingJane View Post
Thanks for defending us Twiggy. I was starting to feel like we should take our In n' Out Burgers and go home. I feel like I meet more people from the midwest in Phoenix than Californians. It seems like it's the place that Cubs fans go to live out their retirement years.
I used to think of people who came here from California and Chicago as obnoxious. I have since come to believe that Californians are not so bad after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,631,385 times
when i moved here my job in residential development was in high demand. I had companies in bidding wars to get me in their door. Many phone interviews with offers before I moved, and my first face to face interview day was scheduled tight. The second interview I was on said "tell me how much it would take for you to clear your schedule today". i listed a high price and they accepted without a second thought.

Home prices were absurd then, and still climbing. Development was everywhere.

I came here for employment opportunities, the lack of rust on cars, the lax vehicle code and the weather. After a few years the jobs dried up and the weather isn't all I hoped it would be. Once my wife is done with school we will hopefully be able to winter here and summer elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,094 times
As a potential relocator to the Phoenix, AZ area from Charlotte, NC.... gotta tell you....Phoenix is absolutely gorgeous compared to Charlotte, NC. I would be relocating to Phx simply because I need a 'change'....plain and simple...Phoenix offers 300+days of sunshine..../No humidity/Centrally located to Vegas, Angeles,and San Diego. (Can you say roadtrip!!!!!!!)Compared to CLT,just plain more to do. You have options in Phoenix as opposed to "rinkydink" Charlotte....Options regarding leisure as well as work/career....Phoenix is affordable too...Nightlife ranks far more superior than Charlotte too. Phoenix nightlife is pretty vibrant...All and all Phoenix just has a lot more going for it than Charlotte.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
As a potential relocator to the Phoenix, AZ area from Charlotte, NC.... gotta tell you....Phoenix is absolutely gorgeous compared to Charlotte, NC. I would be relocating to Phx simply because I need a 'change'....plain and simple...Phoenix offers 300+days of sunshine..../No humidity/Centrally located to Vegas, Angeles,and San Diego. (Can you say roadtrip!!!!!!!)Compared to CLT,just plain more to do. You have options in Phoenix as opposed to "rinkydink" Charlotte....Options regarding leisure as well as work/career....Phoenix is affordable too...Nightlife ranks far more superior than Charlotte too. Phoenix nightlife is pretty vibrant...All and all Phoenix just has a lot more going for it than Charlotte.
Wow, thats surprising to me, with the beach in your own state and being between Florida and New York by 10 hours I would think that would be an exciting place as well.
I hear a lot of people like our location, lots of trips to Vegas and L.A. And, we have definitely have the sunshine for sure! We never run out of sunny days.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,627,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I think so many people move here from so many places that Californians couldn't possibly ruin this city on there own. lol
I am just as curious what "ruining" did you guys do SOON2BE? Come on fess up, did you guys drain the Tempe town lake again? Ha ha very funny you little Californians, stop it now, not funny! You know we are packing out here, be careful now. lol
I know those dang Texans brought that humidity over this summer!

I'll take a Californian over a Texan any day. And yes, I've lived in both states.

I'm sending resumes out down there next week as both of my businesses will do better there. I'll hate leaving the weather up here in ABQ if I get an offer, though, it's awesome here Do have to admit, it will be nice to be closer to family (PHX and SoCal) and have the perks of a big city again.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,787,475 times
I left the Bay Area in 1995 to buy a place in Phoenix, (which I sold in 99 for double it's present worth). I could see the writing on the wall that I would never be able to afford a decent neighborhood in the Bay Area. The sunshine was a big plus, also. The heat has never really been a problem for me. I've owned five properties in AZ. After the first one, I always factored in the cost of new a/c and the fact that wages are below par, to say the least. Phoenix will come back, so will America. It's very easy for people to buy at the top of the cycles, but you know what Warren Buffet says..."When there is blood in the streets..." Well folks, there is lots of blood in the streets right now.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
I can drive in a heat wave but I can't drive in a snow storm.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM

860 posts, read 2,718,951 times
My 14 yr old daughter keeps telling me she will miss the snow, but I have reminded her that she isn't driving in it yet. And my husband claims the snow was not so bad, but he always procrastinated shoveling it!
What I like here is the sunshine and light. The snow was not so bad it was the grey dull skies that could overtake any outing, winter or summer. Even if you like your seasons, light deprivation is a downer. And it costs a whole lot to fly 6 people to Florida, which is the best antecdote. Here we can drive a few hours to Flagstaff for snow, or5- 6 hrs to Ca for a beach, not 14 hrs to North Carolina.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
My 14 yr old daughter keeps telling me she will miss the snow, but I have reminded her that she isn't driving in it yet. And my husband claims the snow was not so bad, but he always procrastinated shoveling it!
What I like here is the sunshine and light. The snow was not so bad it was the grey dull skies that could overtake any outing, winter or summer. Even if you like your seasons, light deprivation is a downer. And it costs a whole lot to fly 6 people to Florida, which is the best antecdote. Here we can drive a few hours to Flagstaff for snow, or5- 6 hrs to Ca for a beach, not 14 hrs to North Carolina.
I think you will love it here, you won't ever feel down with a cloudy day because they are so few and far between. We have such clear blue skies sometimes I search for a cloud and never find one all day long.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Yes, we do have a great location snuggled in the middle of some very fun states!
Quite honestly, this is one thing that ticks me off. I am so tired of hearing that Phoenix is a great place to live because we're only a few hours' drive to San Diego, and a few hours' drive to Vegas. Come on! If those places are such great destinations, why not move to San Diego or Las Vegas??? Do you think people who live in San Diego or Las Vegas love it there because Phoenix is a short drive away? Of course not!

What I'm getting at is Phoenix should be its own destination. We could have similar attractions that San Diego & Las Vegas have (or even better) if we would simply try to attract more than just the sun lovers & retirees to move here.

Quote:
I think you will love it here, you won't ever feel down with a cloudy day because they are so few and far between. We have such clear blue skies sometimes I search for a cloud and never find one all day long.
BORRRRRRRING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area