Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you move to Phoenix, or why do you dream of moving to Phoenix?
Snowless winter, climate 48 60.76%
Job prospect 20 25.32%
Family/friends 14 17.72%
Low cost of housing 22 27.85%
Esthetics 13 16.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Quite honestly, this is one thing that ticks me off. I am so tired of hearing that Phoenix is a great place to live because we're only a few hours' drive to San Diego, and a few hours' drive to Vegas. Come on! If those places are such great destinations, why not move to San Diego or Las Vegas??? Do you think people who live in San Diego or Las Vegas love it there because Phoenix is a short drive away? Of course not!

What I'm getting at is Phoenix should be its own destination. We could have similar attractions that San Diego & Las Vegas have (or even better) if we would simply try to attract more than just the sun lovers & retirees to move here.

BORRRRRRRING!!!
Just trying to stay upbeat for those who want to move here, I made another thread for you>>>>that way>>>>I don't get the neighboring states having anything to do with us either but some people do. I'm also bored with the sun but some people are not. >>>>>>>>> Those who are sick of it posted on the other thread "WHY DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE PHOENIX?">>>>>>>.
Combining the two only causes a fight.
I am banned from fighting.............. Bad, Bad Twiggy! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
No snow, no cold and dry air for arthritis sufferers. For seniors, lots of geezers in the NW Valley, too.
This is a major city with lots to do. I chose to move here, like it and am staying.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
No snow, no cold and dry air for arthritis sufferers. For seniors, lots of geezers in the NW Valley, too.
This is a major city with lots to do. I chose to move here, like it and am staying.
That seems to be the main reason to move to Phoenix, you are not alone in that thinking!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Well, you will have to accept the fact that all tho many people would just LOVE to live in California, the COST alone is keeping a lot of people out, (not sure if purposely...?) not to mention their housing costs in the upper 800k's for the tiniest places! ridiculous! & they have Earthquakes too which keeps ME out, I lived in Europe with that, been through a few, so no thanks...

Then, Vegas is NOT for small children, especially girls, I don't feel like having my DD stare at billboards with naked ladies, my boys, OK...but not my DD....sorry plus Grand Canyon is NOT in Vegas, so if mommy and daddy want to have a night out in Vegas without the kids, that's doable. We're not Vegas ppl, But again from MY business stand point, being within a close drive is a benefit.

For us, it would just be Florida in the Desert housing wise, which is fine because as ideal as it would be NOT to live in the same colored house sub-divisions, unfortunately we have too because that's where the better schools are. We have to "thank" (NOT) the retarded builders for that one! Not only for killing character everywhere but also for allowing that the few areas of towns that are more historic to turn into crack towns or retirement areas with no good schools around. (BECAUSE everyone moved to the suburbs for the good schools, so the remainder being retirees and not have either money or physical power to keep those places neat, they fell in disgrace, with the better ones being occupied by very wealthy ppl without school age kids, or with private school options which normal paycheck to paycheck ppl don't have)

The other thing to consider is that most people don't have time to travel around during the week, school, work etc, therefore Phoenix is great to live in because you can NEVER GET BORED! with things to do......you want the Ocean, drive a bit and you're there, the GC there also, i can make a very long list....UNLIKE Florida where everywhere you drive 4 hours you end up on another beach, no scenery, 90% Retirees with nothing to do..... and then there's Disney World....... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGGG

In Phoenix, we can still take the kids to Disney, but not have the entire state infested with Disney crap at every corner in ever gas station, store, mall, and garbage can, etc etc etc!

Can you tell I am fed up with "the beach" and "Disney"???
I want to HIKE....a MOUNTAIN, not a flat trail and pretend I am on a mountain!

So, it may seem annoying to you that people mention that proximity a lot, but in reality, for a lot of people being within a reasonable drive to different areas (for business and pleasure) is a benefit. I don't want to go or see the beach every day, nor do i want to have my kids think that there is NOTHING else but Disney for entertainment, The Disney Hall is in LA, for us to take a trip there would be way to expensive and not doable AT ALL, considering that each of my 3 kids are not only different ages but also into different things, so if I want to take my DD who is the oldest to a concert AT the Disney Hall, Living in Phoenix WILL ALLOW me to do that without spending $5000 on plane tickets, hotel accommodations, car rentals etc etc etc food.....the list goes on and on.....

NOT ONLY Phoenix IS it's own destination because it has SO MANY beautiful parks and natural wonders....but as an EXTRA PERK, it is also in a close drive to other nice places. (For us to go for a hike to the nearest mountain it would take an 10 hour drive! not something you want to do on a short weekend!

Quote:
Quite honestly, this is one thing that ticks me off. I am so tired of hearing that Phoenix is a great place to live because we're only a few hours' drive to San Diego, and a few hours' drive to Vegas. Come on! If those places are such great destinations, why not move to San Diego or Las Vegas??? Do you think people who live in San Diego or Las Vegas love it there because Phoenix is a short drive away? Of course not!

What I'm getting at is Phoenix should be its own destination. We could have similar attractions that San Diego & Las Vegas have (or even better) if we would simply try to attract more than just the sun lovers & retirees to move here.

BORRRRRRRING!!!

hahahaha, if we take a "family" trip, probably we won't either, I was referring to my business trips by myself.......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes, we do have a great location snuggled in the middle of some very fun states! I do admire you who get to them in 4 hrs though, I honestly have never been able to get there that fast. Maybe it is because I have kids with me. lol

Last edited by algia; 10-27-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:

BORRRRRRRING!!!
Valley Native??? I gotta disagree with you on this one. The fact that Pheonix is centrally located is the very thing that is attractive to me.
I grew up in So. Cal and I love surfing and the beach. It's a nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. It's far too crowded and I don't care for the stuck up people in Cali. (except my sister in law). If I want to go to So. Cal for a day or week or two, I can stay at my sister in laws but after a few days I find myself ready to leave.
I love having adult fun in Vegas but I don't want to live there. It's far too "touristy" for my tastes and I would get bored with that in short order.
I like to visit the Grand Canyon but I don't want to live close by. That's the only attraction for me so that would get old very quickly.
I'd love to spend some time on Lake Powell but I don't want to live there. Again, a one attraction area.
I love the mountains so a lot of people would think I'd love Northern Az. but I'd tire of the cold winters. It's a place I want to "go to" but again, I don't want to live there year 'round.
I'm an avid fisherman so I do find myself wanting to be very near lakes. That's something I'd do year 'round. Probably one or two times a week. Also I'll be in a business that will require me to be relatively close to Tucson but I don't want to live in Tucson.
With all that said, Phoenix comes as close to what I'm looking for as anything I have found so far.
No, Phoenix is not considered "it's own destination" but there are many reasons why it's attractive to people like me. It's a relatively short drive to all the the things that are of interest to me and the east valley is close to the lakes and rivers that I enjoy.
Not to mention the cost of living but that's another story. Even the weather is a plus for me. Yes, it's sizzling hot for a good part of the year but when you come from a cold climate, it's a definate plus. At least for a while.
I grew up in So. Cal and spent my summers in the desert near Wickenburg so I'm very familiar with the heat. I grew up wanting to get out of the desert and be among the green forests and I did that at age 28. I've spent my last 22 years in the coastal mountains of Oregon. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth but my time here has run it's course. My wife passed away a couple of years ago, the kids are grown and on their own now so Oregon no longer has the draw that it once did for me.
I'm looking forward to getting back to my roots in the desert.
For me, it's time for a change and I'm sure there are many people like me that look forward to it.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Valley Native??? I gotta disagree with you on this one. The fact that Pheonix is centrally located is the very thing that is attractive to me.
I grew up in So. Cal and I love surfing and the beach. It's a nice place to visit but I don't want to live there. It's far too crowded and I don't care for the stuck up people in Cali. (except my sister in law). If I want to go to So. Cal for a day or week or two, I can stay at my sister in laws but after a few days I find myself ready to leave.
I love having adult fun in Vegas but I don't want to live there. It's far too "touristy" for my tastes and I would get bored with that in short order.
I like to visit the Grand Canyon but I don't want to live close by. That's the only attraction for me so that would get old very quickly.
I'd love to spend some time on Lake Powell but I don't want to live there. Again, a one attraction area.
I love the mountains so a lot of people would think I'd love Northern Az. but I'd tire of the cold winters. It's a place I want to "go to" but again, I don't want to live there year 'round.
I'm an avid fisherman so I do find myself wanting to be very near lakes. That's something I'd do year 'round. Probably one or two times a week. Also I'll be in a business that will require me to be relatively close to Tucson but I don't want to live in Tucson.
With all that said, Phoenix comes as close to what I'm looking for as anything I have found so far.
No, Phoenix is not considered "it's own destination" but there are many reasons why it's attractive to people like me. It's a relatively short drive to all the the things that are of interest to me and the east valley is close to the lakes and rivers that I enjoy.
Not to mention the cost of living but that's another story. Even the weather is a plus for me. Yes, it's sizzling hot for a good part of the year but when you come from a cold climate, it's a definate plus. At least for a while.
I grew up in So. Cal and spent my summers in the desert near Wickenburg so I'm very familiar with the heat. I grew up wanting to get out of the desert and be among the green forests and I did that at age 28. I've spent my last 22 years in the coastal mountains of Oregon. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth but my time here has run it's course. My wife passed away a couple of years ago, the kids are grown and on their own now so Oregon no longer has the draw that it once did for me.
I'm looking forward to getting back to my roots in the desert.
For me, it's time for a change and I'm sure there are many people like me that look forward to it.
I love your attitude!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,763 times
Hello
I was wondering how is the economy and job outlook for Arizona? I live in Albany, NY and have a job has a senior accountant. Thinking of moving to Arizona but i keep seeing mixed reviews? I started doing a lot of research on Arizona and yes the house prices are really good comparied to Albany but that is not a reason to move if I cannot get a good job. So if someone can just be straight forward about the market and economy for jobs that are not help desk $7 jobs that would be a big help.
Thank you

Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I love your attitude!
Well, thank you. I gotta stay positive in the face of so many people telling me it sucks and I can't do this or that. I'm tired of hearing why something won't work or this place sucks. I know all the bad stuff. Tell me the good stuff and how I can make something work.....
Things are what you make of it. It WILL suck if that's what you look for. On the flip side, a place can be heaven if you look for it.
If you think your life sucks or where you live sucks or everything sucks, then guess what? You have made your own self fullfilling circumstances.
It's all what you look for in most cases.
Of course life is not all roses either but a positive attitude is 80% of the battle.... don't ya think?????
Besides, if I listened to and believed all the negativity on here, I might as well give up, just go stick my head in the oven and get it over quick....
There had to be some reason that Phoenix works for so many people. 4 or 5 million people can't all be wrong....

Last edited by maverick974; 10-27-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariomoricone View Post
Hello
I was wondering how is the economy and job outlook for Arizona? I live in Albany, NY and have a job has a senior accountant. Thinking of moving to Arizona but i keep seeing mixed reviews? I started doing a lot of research on Arizona and yes the house prices are really good comparied to Albany but that is not a reason to move if I cannot get a good job. So if someone can just be straight forward about the market and economy for jobs that are not help desk $7 jobs that would be a big help.
Thank you
You should read this thread's opposite (Why do people want to leave Phoenix) because it discusses the job situation and job quality in great detail.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Admittedly, I also enjoy the California coastal areas every now and then ... mainly because the afternoon temperatures can be 30 or 40 degrees cooler than Phoenix in July & August. However, I still say that it shouldn't be a reason for people to move to Phoenix. To me as a native, it seems pretty silly when I hear about all these transplants wanting to live here for a cheaper cost of living, but then they end up spending extra money on road trips (gas, food, lodging, etc.) or air fare to the coast. Wouldn't it be better for the Phoenix area to have some of those fun attractions like theme parks? That way, people can still have a vacation, but wouldn't have to drive or fly all that distance. Plus, they would be spending money HERE and helping the local economy, instead of boosting California's.

And to be quite honest, I'm making a point to stay the hell away from California as of lately (especially the L.A. area). I really dislike the way the elite Hollywood liberals and city leaders over there have threatened to boycott us over this SB 1070 issue. While I'm not entirely in favor of this immigration law, I think it is a long overdue step in the right direction. So why would I want to spend money in a place where their attitude on Arizonans is less than pleasant right now?! As I said before, I'd rather help the local economy than another region's (regardless of boycotts).

Quote:
Well, to each his own. But think about it: why shouldn't the nations' fifth largest city be its own destination? San Diego and Las Vegas are quite a bit smaller in population than Phoenix, but everyone wants to go there and spend money. Why not get some of the Vegas nightlife and southern CA's theme parks going here so more people can help OUR tourism???

Anyway, that's only one reason Phoenix should be its destination. Being one of the nation's largest cities, we should be more competitive on a national and global scale for better jobs. Sure, everybody loves the cheap cost of living and the weather (which I find to be questionable) ... but what about IMPORTANT things like a skilled, educated workforce, and reputable firms that offer competitive wages???

If we're going to continue to be a largely populated city/metro area, then we should ACT like it. We can't continue to plod down the same old road of cookie cutter housing developments & retirement communities, climate, mountain views, and a short distance to CA or Vegas for our marketing strategy. Sunshine, retirees, nearby lakes, and the beaches being a short drive away are NOT going to bring in the jobs and the economic base we need. As a native, it doesn't make me very proud to reside in one of the nation's largest cities that still behaves like a small city. A lot of these transplants & retirees who live here are to blame because they tend to be NIMBYs who oppose development of most any kind. As a metro area, Phoenix really needs to grow up and act its size!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area