Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Recent economic data, particularly today's eye-popping manufacturing report, suggest the economy is improving faster than even the optimists projected. Should the trend continue and translate into accelerating job growth, there is a very real possibility that home prices in markets dominated by foreclosures will rapidly recover. It is not at all outside of the realm of possibility that the median home price in Phoenix market could reach pre-boom levels by sometime in 2012. Real growth, i.e. back to trend, will take longer. Of course, you need do nothing more than turn on the news to realize there are serious threats to recovery in every direction from eurozone risk to mideast instability to burgeoning fuel costs to overly stringent lending practices. Still, things look rosier now than they have since this whole mess started.
It is completely outside the realm of possibility that median home prices will reach pre-boom levels by 2012. It's one thing to say the economy is improving and it's another thing entirely to make a claim like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It is completely outside the realm of possibility that median home prices will reach pre-boom levels by 2012. It's one thing to say the economy is improving and it's another thing entirely to make a claim like this.
Well, first I did not say "by 2012". I said "by sometime in 2012" which means through December 2012. Second, I say you are wrong. Median price needs to recover from about 115K to 150K in two years for this to happen. It's a stretch, but I think it is entirely possible. Whether it happens or not depends on things neither you nor I can predict at this time.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,354,814 times
All I can add to this discussion is that down here in Casa Grande the available listings are down by 25% over the last couple months. The low number of SFR listing on the various MLS sites (ZIP etc) was 289 just after the end of the tax credit last year...it shot up to a high that I saw of 430 during December, and today we are back to 321 listings. Now, the prices ARE LOWER. But I believe, that as Capn Bill points out (and maybe he has more accurate listing numbers than my unscientific survey), that as sales activity increases, prices will stabilize and eventually increase.

The house two doors down from me was foreclosed on last summer. They put it on market for a couple months and got very limited activity. They removed is from the market for awhile, and just re-released it with a price reduction during January. I have seen a constant stream of interest from both potential snowbirds, new families, and investors in the couple weeks it has been back on the market. It will be very interesting to see what it actually sells for in the end.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,810,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
All I can add to this discussion is that down here in Casa Grande the available listings are down by 25% over the last couple months. The low number of SFR listing on the various MLS sites (ZIP etc) was 289 just after the end of the tax credit last year...it shot up to a high that I saw of 430 during December, and today we are back to 321 listings. Now, the prices ARE LOWER. But I believe, that as Capn Bill points out (and maybe he has more accurate listing numbers than my unscientific survey), that as sales activity increases, prices will stabilize and eventually increase...

Casa Grande

• Active 434 Jan 27
  • Pendings increased in January to 133, which is a sign of stronger sales in the next 4-6 weeks
  • Average sales price per square foot $46.88
  • With the increase in Pending sales, the price could level or increase slightly in the next few weeks.
  • The Cromford Market Index has climbed to 101.1.
Below 100 indicates an excess in supply
Above 100 indicates an excess in demand

The CMI gives an early indication of a change in the market. It uses a seven year history of active, pending and monthly sales rates to measure the balance of supply and demand.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks Bill. Is the discrepancy in the amount of active listings between my 322 and your 434 that your number is ALL actives (mobile, condo, etc..) whereas I filter my search to just SFR?

Just curious. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,608,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Thanks Bill. Is the discrepancy in the amount of active listings between my 322 and your 434 that your number is ALL actives (mobile, condo, etc..) whereas I filter my search to just SFR?

Just curious. Thanks!
That would explain it. Today (2/2) all active is 423 vs 359 SFR only.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM

RCJM,

Thanks. The remainder of the difference could be that the boundaries on your guys system is not exactly what the public sites offer etc etc..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,608,491 times
Also, the public sites not tied to the MLS via IDX will likely lag the MLS, have stale data, etc.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Casa Grande

• Active 434 Jan 27
  • Pendings increased in January to 133, which is a sign of stronger sales in the next 4-6 weeks
  • Average sales price per square foot $46.88
  • With the increase in Pending sales, the price could level or increase slightly in the next few weeks.
  • The Cromford Market Index has climbed to 101.1.
Below 100 indicates an excess in supply
Above 100 indicates an excess in demand

The CMI gives an early indication of a change in the market. It uses a seven year history of active, pending and monthly sales rates to measure the balance of supply and demand.
If sales prices are below construction cost why would anyone build?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If sales prices are below construction cost why would anyone build?
I've looked into building a house and the cost to build a home particularly in certain neighborhoods is not much cheaper than during the boom. It makes no sense to build a home right now because you can buy existing recently built homes for significantly less (as in 1/2 less) than what it would cost to build a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area