Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 25,421 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently looking at homes in age restricted communities and I am interested in two communities in the NW area. I am told the average ages of the residents in the two communities is pretty comparable (late 50's). Housing seems similar as well. I am wondering about how the lifestyles or atmosphere compare. Things like community interaction, friendliness, activities, etc. I know Trilogy offers a two night "test drive" pkg. to try it out so that may be helpful as well for us to try. Golf is our primary interest and both communities have at least one golf course.

Any insight or opinions on one or both communities would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We live across the road from Trilogy and are qualified age wise to live there. I would move there in a heart beat but our retirement income took a light slamming and we have had to rethink where we are heading. I wont tell you I would not rather live there, because I would. We know several couples that do and there really are some lovely people there. The car club is taking off and we enjoy showing our car along with them. The golf course is usually busy and I know there are some golf groups over there that are very active. They have many community activites for adults and I know you would make some friends right away. I still enjoy wandering through the model homes. I hope you decide to move there as it really is the best 55 community we have on the west side. I should also mention Sun City Grand as we did take a look there as well. The homes are not as exciting in my opinion, the architectural details at Trilogy trump Sun City Grand. I also think they are built out so you would be buying an older home as well. It really seems busier over at Trilogy. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck

Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,014 times
We would not have mind Trilogy but the HOA fees where too high for us especially that we don't use a lot of the amenities they offer. So we choose Sun City Festival Ranch. But you have to like to be in the middle of the desert. We had a get together yesterday with our neighboors and somebody mentioned Sun City Grand because of the real estate market. One person said it is easier to integrate in a new community where at the beginning no body knows each other. In an older community like Grand, the people there know each other for a long time and you moving in there will be considered as a newcomer and might have difficulty to be accepted in the groups.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

284 posts, read 700,570 times
We looked at active living communities in the west valley and decided we prefer the east valley. Have you looked at any of the communities here? Closer to the airport, a choice of hospitals, lots of restaurants and shopping.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 AM

391 posts, read 787,828 times
We bought in Trilogy and our house will be ready in Sept. We looked at SCG. Nothing wrong with it and lots of good. We showed up at trilogy at 5pm and there was so much traffic that I asked the guard why?. He said a lot of people were still working and just coming home. I liked that.
Also, we wanted to be in a new build area to meet neighbors etc. Resale may be better in 10 years when we have a 2011 house instead of 2006 house but who knows.
Our biggest issue with scg was the drive out there. Hwy 60 was stop and go for miles! Trilogy will be just a skip from the new 303 loop to I17. Thats a big deal to us as we drive around the valley a lot.
We are only 55 and thought there was a younger group at trilogy. That may not be true.
Scg has much better golf in my opinion. Less exensive and 4 courses (but many more people)
We looked for 2 years. Checked out east valley but did not like the area as much. Tried Encarterra but it was just so remote. However it will be great in a few years but we wanted something now.
The clubhouse at Vistancia just seemed so much nicer than most.They were even serving drinks at the pool. I liked that too! In a few years the sales office will also become part of the amenities but they are not sure what that will look like yet.
We did the stay and play at trilogy. Went to the poker night and I came in fourth. Over 80 people there all having fun and they seemed to know each other. The gym is not terrific but adequete for me. I felt a bit young there but we are only 55 and still working so we are used to a more age diverse crowd but at trilogy of course, we are the youngest.
I think one of the biggest draws to trilogy is the grounds. They are beautiful with boulevards, parks, palm trees etc. That is a huge thing in trilogy's favour.
Prices seemed better at scg and the hoa's were far lower as it is not gated. I must say, the floor plans at trilogy are nice. Can't comment on scg.

For us trilogy seemed a better fit.

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-04-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
The other thing I love about Trilogy is the restaurant that sits overlooking the golf course. When the weather permits you can sit out on the patio and dine and they will open the wall of glass for the inside diners. The sunset is spectacular and you really feel like you are in a luxury resort. Be sure to also try the new restaurant down at the Safeway center called Blue Agave. So far people have given it great reviews. Welcome to Peoria!!!!

Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,041 times
Trilogy is somewhat far out and getting there is congested as many areas are. We hear the JOA raises nearly every year. Some streets and homes/yards are nicer than others. But again, the JOA is extremely strict and well, Just too expensive. The groups are very cliquey too. Just sharing an honest opinion that many say as well. Always can try if course, but prices of homes are so high and consistently going up far more than other places in the valley and not a good value - we have watched them sky rocket over the past several years especially. They also have weddings open to the public - the gated area and entire community is definitely NOT secure. There’s so many service people constantly in and out who know the codes. It’s very insecure plus with public weddings, etc. people come in and out freely often and especially during the wedding gatherings each is frequent and sometimes several times a week. Lastly, yes, it is true that Trilogy at Vistancia is known as a hot bed for scorpions too. It is common. VERY common to see them in and outside of homes. I know st least 5 neighbors alone on my block who also gave them coming out of vents in their homes and large numbers on the cement walls. Not trying to be negative. Simply sharing with complete honesty. Plus there are rattlesnakes, havalenas groups that live there. They roam the streets in bands in the early morning (dark) hours. Forgive me if I have typos as I am using my iPhone and more difficult to type.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,041 times
Default Hoa

HOA not JOA.
Apologize for the typo

Note: the HOA continues to raise prices, and the HOA ‘police’ often say the mail letters to homeowners and then don’t and fine residents plus; tell and demand homeowners on some occasions as an example they must for instance paint their home(s) on a regular basis. It is common that those homes do not actually need painted and even the very slightest of rare chip is visible with nearly a microscope - the homeowner must repaint and quickly. Very hard to endure for retirees. We are as many are on edge for lack of trust with the HOA etc. We are not talking about homes that are in need of painting. We are specifically mentioning because of homeowners whose homes were exquisite and did NOT need painted still had to go to the expanse with no justification. The point is: many people we know are selling or moving because of an unjust HOA. Wonderful, rule abiding people to boot! We normally and seriously do not make a habit of complaining, but things with the HOA are getting to a problematic issue with scores and scores of homeowners. One can hope this mentality will improve. But the the census is it has not. They easily and quickly will put a lien on homes. Unjustifiably. It’s only a matter of time they will get to each homeowner with a number if requests that sometimes are absolutely outlandish. It is sad to see and to witness.

Law suits have occurred but few people want to engage and let the HOA ‘bully’ them.

Praying it will improve.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 24,806 times
We live in Sun City Grand and could not be happier. I have played golf at Vistancia but prefer living in SCG. The access to health care, shopping, restaurants is perfect. The HOA is the lowest around for a wonderful life style experience.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 PM

640 posts, read 956,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearsinTrilogy View Post
Trilogy is somewhat far out and getting there is congested as many areas are. We hear the JOA raises nearly every year. Some streets and homes/yards are nicer than others. But again, the JOA is extremely strict and well, Just too expensive. The groups are very cliquey too. Just sharing an honest opinion that many say as well. Always can try if course, but prices of homes are so high and consistently going up far more than other places in the valley and not a good value - we have watched them sky rocket over the past several years especially. They also have weddings open to the public - the gated area and entire community is definitely NOT secure. There’s so many service people constantly in and out who know the codes. It’s very insecure plus with public weddings, etc. people come in and out freely often and especially during the wedding gatherings each is frequent and sometimes several times a week. Lastly, yes, it is true that Trilogy at Vistancia is known as a hot bed for scorpions too. It is common. VERY common to see them in and outside of homes. I know st least 5 neighbors alone on my block who also gave them coming out of vents in their homes and large numbers on the cement walls. Not trying to be negative. Simply sharing with complete honesty. Plus there are rattlesnakes, havalenas groups that live there. They roam the streets in bands in the early morning (dark) hours. Forgive me if I have typos as I am using my iPhone and more difficult to type.
So to recap:

Home pricing are increasing (how terrible!); wedding guest thugs going on crime sprees since they have access inside the gates; and it’s located in the desert so there are desert animals/critters.

Did I capture that all correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area