Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times

Advertisements

Don't take them to the Humane society, they'll be killed, and they'll be replaced by others - trap/neuter/return is the best long-term solution.

Animal Defense League of Arizona's Trap Neuter Return (TNR) Program at 602-265-7729 or feralcats@adlaz.org,

OR Altered Tails AzCATs at 602-216-1160 or info@alteredtails.org

Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 AM

132 posts, read 266,695 times
Call animal control. They'll set up some cage traps & haul them off for you.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,678,206 times
The Arizona Humane Shelter advocates the TRP. It's not like they don't understand the problem.
http://www.azhumane.org/artman2publish/aboutus/faqs.shtml (broken link)

Link may not work--says they recommend the TRP program for ferals and the numbers to contact them.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM

464 posts, read 833,316 times
AZ Bound, Animal cruelty is illegal and punishable by law--what goes around comes back around in this big 'ole world.....m-mmm.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM

[mod cut-- rude/personal] Perhaps the solution lies in your own posting since you repeatedly comment on how nice your neighbor is. I highly suggest then that you make an effort to assist her physically setting cages and/or monetarily with the trap/neuter/return program. It's a win/win situation for all. The feline family does not continue to populate, you are not inconvenienced by your neighbor's nicety...and it keeps good neighborhoods good. Good luck!

Last edited by observer53; 07-22-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Wink Ahh-h-h...and now on to the good apples in the bushel.

Judybear, SloCoChef and Zippyman, Thank you to all three of you for making my day great by reminding me by your postings that goodness is out there in full force....please continue to affect your little corner of the world positively.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM

97 posts, read 290,938 times
The neighbor has a hoarding disorder. I have tried to work with her and asked her to please not feed them. My house is soaked with sprayed urine and my cars are getting scratched from cat toe nails. I am an animal lover but not so much with wild cats. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,361,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judybear View Post
Whether or not your neighbor feeds feral cats has no bearing on their population. Capture and relocate all those she feeds and others will fill the void. The most humane thing is to get the cat to the humane society for their capture/fix/release program.

And Feral cats ARE adoptable. Not all ferals have always been so. Some have just been dumped and need a new home. One just adopted me 6 months ago. After feeding some for over a year, one came up to me and jumped into my lap! (wheelchair) She had already been spayed and had no fleas! And is so loving... even clingy.

I have also cared for sick cats (many). One huge reason many are sick is because people mistakenly think milk is good for them. IT IS NOT. It often causes runny eyes, runny nose and diahhrea.(sp?) And that includes the cheaper cat foods that contain milk and milk products (cheese, etc.).

Please take strays to a vet or a local animal shelter to have them fixed and chipped with an ID.

We all share this earth. We need to care for those who have no voice.
- JB
so refreshing (and odd) to see an actual, real, sensible answer here on city data. . . . .It costs nothing for a person to have feral cats spayed and neutered. . . .the AHS can give you all the information about this program, and yes, it really works!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Lightbulb Trap....spay/neuter....trap....spay/neuter....

Yes, spay/neuter programs work wonders to try to curb our unwanted feline and canine population. Ferals can be domesticated (I've done), strays can be annoying to people that do not understand how to correct the problem--if they are getting food and water and able to find shelter--trap...spay and neuter...and return.
Again, in case anybody missed the message the first time around (i.e. original poster)...trap...spay and neuter, spay and neuter....and return or re-home if you can find a good one. I've done this many times over and it not only works well for the cats and the neighborhoods, but makes a huge difference in the larger scheme of things.

Last edited by makeitagreatday; 07-22-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
The neighbor has a hoarding disorder. I have tried to work with her and asked her to please not feed them. My house is soaked with sprayed urine and my cars are getting scratched from cat toe nails. I am an animal lover but not so much with wild cats. Moderator cut: rude
Some people try to do good and it isn't always a good thing to do. It's a neighborhood, not farmland. As a matter of fact most farmers would have gone over with a shotgun along time ago. Feral cats are chicken killers.

If she isn't going to relocate them then she is just adding fuel to the fire. I would start calling the city out for a little help on the issue. It's a health hazard. I have a couple of cats, love em, but she obviously has gone too far there. Sometimes an overly kind heart can blind ya too reality. Being a nice person doesn't make you immune to doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. She isn't allowed to run a shelter from her home for that many animals. She should start a shelter in an area zoned for it. Sounds like a "over-do-gooder" to me. Trying to help too many. Pick your poison. It's not doing the cats any favors if she isn't home all day, just leaves food and calls it a day. That isn't really good for the cats. Sounds like a problem to me, you see plenty of shows about these people. It gets out of hand quickly.
You don't have to join her to be a good person for god sake, sounds like you are just sane. Just call the city, they should be able to look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area