Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,144,909 times

Advertisements

I'm a housewife and my retired boyfriend and I live in El Paso, TX and aren't happy here. It doesn't feel like 'home' to us anymore. He keeps toying with the idea of moving to the Phoenix area and having an energy-efficient home built there. I've only been through Phoenix a handful of times, and at times, the nighttime heat seemed unbearable, so not sure if I could even handle the daytime heat. I can stand the heat in my current city and tend to prefer heat to cold anyday, but IDK about those extremes in AZ.

BF showed me a site from one of the builders of those energy-saving homes, and all of them were stucco. I've had to live in stucco homes (be it apartments, quadruplexes, condos or detached houses) all of my adult life, and am really tired of them. I want to live in a nice sturdy brick house, not a fricken' Taco Bell! Question is, are there any brick homes in the Phoenix area, preferably somewhere quieter, a smaller town away from most of the city noise, and if it's got all the newfangled energy-efficient upgrades, even better? If I'm really that hellbent on a detached brick house, should I just not bother at all with Phoenix?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,027,330 times
I would imagine you can get any type of home built if you have the money. Southwest style homes are all over here, though.

As for the heat...if you can't tolerate TX then Phoenix won't be for you. Personally, I like the summer here just fine but it's not for everyone.

Perhaps you should visit again. Maybe in July or August when it's really hot. A baptism by fire and see if you can hack it. You could also meet with builders and see what can be done for the style of home you desire.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
I'm confused. You say you want to build a house, and then want to know where you can buy a brick one. You are not likely to find a brick house that's all shiny and new on the inside; if you found one in Phoenix, it would be an expensive remodel in the middle of the city, which you don't want. You might find a brick house in one of the older neighborhoods, but then you'd be doing all the upgrades yourself... and if you barely tolerate the heat in El Paso, why are you even thinking about Phoenix. You can build an energy efficient home anywhere.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Why on earth would you even consider moving to Phoenix? Your post is similar to a person claiming they love dry weather and is considering moving to Houston and wants to know where the dry areas in Houston are located. If you feel like stucco homes are Taco Bell, then you shouldn't even considering moving to Phoenix or Southern California. Move to Ohio, there are plenty of brick homes there and it's cool at nigh there too Phoenix is clearly not for you, don't even entertain the idea. You will thank me. Check out Ohio or Illinois.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
I agree. From what you are saying, Phoenix is not the place for you.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM

674 posts, read 2,558,720 times
You should probably consider northern AZ if your boyfriend is retired and you don't work. Payson, Prescott, Sedona, or Flagstaff might work. It will be cold in the winters though.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,144,909 times
Thanks for all the replies. Prescott is still on the table as another part of AZ to try because a former drinking buddy is headed out there. I need to have BF call him up and ask him why he wants to live there (the man has relatives out there, but we'd like to know why he's leaving his hometown for that and why he feels the need to actually relocate to Prescott for that and what the area is like). I also need to find out if it's almost all stucco homes there too and if there are quiet areas around there.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
Of course there are quiet areas around Prescott. As far as "stucco homes" there are fewer of them up there particularly among the older homes, but again, I thought you were building, not buying. Climate wise, it would be more what you are looking for. Post in the Prescott forum if you are looking for specific areas that might work for you.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 PM

39,129 posts, read 51,428,209 times
Phoenix does not seem like its for you. Have you considered Las Cruces or even Silver City? I don't understand why people who don't need to work would want to live in Phoenix when there are so many better choices in the southwest. Well, I do appreciate that some people prefer the "amenities" of city life, but I still shake my head.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-12-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,099,034 times
by "stucco", do you mean the now commonly-built frame wood houses with a sprayed-on stucco-like finish...or do you mean block construction with real stucco/mortar finish???....

when you had that bad visit at night when it was really hot, you probably were here in July or August when humidity is high and it doesn't get much below 85 or 90 at night...tough time of year.....El Paso should have that July/Aug humid pattern, too, right???.....but Phx is warmer than El Paso.....

many builders these days (building "stucco" homes) tout their energy-efficient homes and many are very good.....but, if you can afford it, build your own over-the-top energy efficient place and really show them how it's done!.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area