Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:27 PM

26 posts, read 104,395 times

Advertisements

I am in a Dilemma. I am a single parent and my daughter is planning on moving to Traverse City, Michigan with my new Grandson to get married there and I don't know if I should pickup, leave Phoenix, AZ and relocate. They are the closest ones to me but I have finally settled down here with a good job, friends, etc. Anyone know anything about North Michigan, job situation, people, things to do, etc. Positive or negative comments appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGal07 View Post
I am in a Dilemma. I am a single parent and my daughter is planning on moving to Traverse City, Michigan with my new Grandson to get married there and I don't know if I should pickup, leave Phoenix, AZ and relocate. They are the closest ones to me but I have finally settled down here with a good job, friends, etc. Anyone know anything about North Michigan, job situation, people, things to do, etc. Positive or negative comments appreciated. Thanks!
Whats your profession? That would be the question most important. MI has lost alot of jobs, most areas of the state are economically depressed, which is sad because MI is a great state. Traverse City is quite lovely. Seems more touristy than anything to me. If youre in the tourism industry, you might find something fairly quickly. From what I understand, western MI is doing better than eastern MI. Your best bet would be to post this on the MI boards, see what the natives say.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am a legal secretary. I will post it on the MI boards. This is my first time on this site. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:38 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Traverse City is a fantastic place to live, all be it a little expensive if you live right in town. If you are willing to deal with a typical Michigan winter you will probably be quite happy there.

Traverse City, as far as the job market goes, primarily revolves around the tourism industry. This has to do with the wealth of lakes around the area, including Lake Michigan. It has a very trendy downtown area and the outlying areas have more of the big-box type stores.

I don't know of any other negatives about this area other than the cost of housing in the city and the sometimes harsh winters. I guess if you have any other questions you can PM me.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM

I guess the harsh winters would be bad for my arthritis. I think I will go visit first

Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
I guess the harsh winters would be bad for my arthritis. I think I will go visit first
Id imagine they would be. Your best bet is to visit in January sometime.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Traverse City is a fantastic place to live, all be it a little expensive if you live right in town. If you are willing to deal with a typical Michigan winter you will probably be quite happy there.

Traverse City, as far as the job market goes, primarily revolves around the tourism industry. This has to do with the wealth of lakes around the area, including Lake Michigan. It has a very trendy downtown area and the outlying areas have more of the big-box type stores.

I don't know of any other negatives about this area other than the cost of housing in the city and the sometimes harsh winters. I guess if you have any other questions you can PM me.
I don't know if jrmontag is from MI, but I am (still live there). There is nothing "typical" about winters in Traverse City. It is BRUTAL there. I have friends who live in Traverse City now, and a few who used to live there. TC is TOTALLY tourism. That is where their money comes from. As a legal secretary, you won't find ANY jobs up there. There are no large firms - mainly sole practitioners who won't pay you enough to survive.

TC is a beautiful area if you're wealthy enough to afford it, especially the Bay area. And Mackinac is close and awesome too, but again, touristy.

Actually, the entire state of Michigan is a beautiful state, but the economy sucks horribly. The only thing Michigan's got going for it right now are the Red Wings. The Tigers are doing pretty good too, but if you go on the Michigan board here, you'll find that people are leaving by the droves, and a lot are heading to AZ.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the input. I am hearing a lot of that. Looks like I got my answer. Sit tight and wait for them to come back

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Personally, PhxGal . . . I would stay put and visit a couple times a year.

Michigan, especially Northern Michigan, has horrible UGH Winters as well as Horrible UGH Summers with Mosquitoes the size of CATS!

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM

202 posts, read 981,002 times
Wait until they get divorced and she moves back.

Save some room in your house so she will have a place to put her stuff when she gets back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area