Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 10,048 times

Advertisements

Hey,

So I have a potentially lucrative contract I could take in Phoenix (or the Intel offices, if anyone knows where that is). I'm trying to figure out whether it would be suited towards the type of city life I like. I moved to Salt Lake City from Santa Monica about 6 months ago and I hate it. I LOVE LA. I am not religious, conservative, and I hate the cold. I love how trendy LA is and I love the warm weather. As sad as it might be to say, I enjoy the shallowness. I'm a young, single guy in my mid twenties. I love shopping on Rodeo Drive. Very fashionable. Armani, Diesel, D&G, that kinda thing. Yellow Porsche. You get the idea. Is there any area in Phoenix I would fit in, because in Salt Lake City I sure as hell don't!

Also, is anyone aware of trendy cafe's, shopping, other dining, trendy areas to live in?

I recognize I should come out there and check it out, but I probably won't have that luxury. If I come out there, it will be in two weeks. Period. lol

Another thing. I recognize every city has its good and bad areas. I would HATE living in west LA and I probably wouldn't enjoy living in Orange County. I like to be in the action. I like to be in an area where things are happening.

I've read other threads about people moving to Phoenix. Read one where the guy was moving from NYC. I know NYC is VERY different from Phoenix in almost every way - and I've never been to either one. I want to find out given what type of guy I am and how much I love LA (Santa Monica to Westwood to Hollywood to downtown), do you think chances are good I will enjoy Phoenix? Also, whats the dating like? Everyone in Utah that is attractive is either hitched or quickly getting there.

Thanks in advance. Very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
The only place REMOTELY with the kind of activity you are looking for would be in Scottsdale. Read up on that city and see if you would be able to deal. You could either live IN Scottsdale and drive to Intel down in Chandler - bout 30 mins. Or live closer to work and drive into Scottsdale for your activities.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
The area around SLC is pristine. That being said, I have met a number of "regular guys" over the years that have had to go there for work and absolutely hated it. You will get more of an LA vibe in Phoenix--the citrus, the hot weather, the stucco, the sprawl, the abundance of Spanish speakers.
Scottsdale is the place for show-offs. Might be a nightmarish commute to Chandler.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robineg View Post
As sad as it might be to say, I enjoy the shallowness. I'm a young, single guy in my mid twenties. I love shopping on Rodeo Drive. Very fashionable. Armani, Diesel, D&G, that kinda thing. Yellow Porsche.
North Scottsdale. Otherwise, you and your yellow Porsche will not be happy. Alas, the commute to Chandler will exhaust you.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
The reason most folks end up not liking like SLC is because - if they're not LDS they end up being treated like they're invisible.
Nobody is rude to them per se but they are not part of things happening around them - they are excluded.
As to the OP's question - already answered; North Scottsdale with commute to Chandler.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Rent yourself a condo in North Scottsdale and check out if you can handle the commute to the Intel campus in south Chandler.

If the commute is too much, you may want to move closer so you have a shorter commute to work, and to the action.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
The reason most folks end up not liking like SLC is because - if they're not LDS they end up being treated like they're invisible.
Nobody is rude to them per se but they are not part of things happening around them - they are excluded.
That's weird. You'd think that since 50% of Salt Lake City is non-LDS, the non-LDS folks wouldn't be invisible to each other.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM

267 posts, read 885,298 times
I grew up in Santa Monica/Los Angeles and I am the same as you. I LOVED it. (Hoping to get back there one day). I love the trendy places, I loved shopping on Melrose and going to Hollywood to eat and party. I was all over it.

I moved to Phoenix and I will say, I didn't hate it. Scottsdale, as others have said, is definitely closest to what you are probably used to. But it is a VERY small area compared to the trendy places you find scattered all over L.A. Also, the culture in Scottsdale leaves something to be desired because, well, there really isn't any there. I definitely missed the culture of L.A. and Santa Monica.

I now live in Georgia and I will say Arizona in general is MUCH more similar to the California lifestyle than the South and East coast. I find myself saying I miss California AND Arizona while living here.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
I would say with all your goodies you should try and stay with your original digs. Scottsdale is a L.A. look alike but in miniature scale. Like a 5 minute drive through would suffice. Chandler is full of families and you would be bored to death! There is good shopping in Phoenix but it isn't put in place for the same kinds of people as you.
That said, you'd look even richer out there to others and that seems to be something you are into. The cost of living is much cheaper in AZ.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,048 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it. I'll do some more research on Scottsdale before making any decisions.

Twiggy - that is one reason why I am attracted to Phoenix. I can make the same money I make in LA (almost twice as much as SLC), but the cost of living is the same as SLC. I am not really that showy as in I care what others think. I just like to have the latest and greatest. I like to enjoy the finer things in life.

I don't feel invisible in Salt Lake City and my disdain for the city does not [primarily] stem from the heavy religious influence, but rather from the lack of culture, trendiness, warm weather, and liberalism. I do however very much not like how in many ways the conservative religious mindset affects everyone, regardless of your beliefs. In LA, you can be anyone you want. In Salt Lake City, that is not the case. There is also not much going on in the dating scene here as well as the night life. A few clubs and bars, but in LA, there is always something going on. I would like to get back to something similar.

The problem is not one thing, but a combination of lots of negatives. If the dating scene was good out here, maybe it would be a little different. Or if the state wasn't so conservative. If the weather was similar to that of LA, I wouldn't care about anything else. My mood is very much affected by sunny weather.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area