Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 22,917 times

Advertisements

Please tell me more about the Mesa or Maricopa County area. Or, tell me what would be the best area for a baby-boomer with Champagne taste and soda (can't even afford beer) budget to live. I'm very open-minded, somewhat of a yuppy (unemployed), full-time grad student, and don't like noise, traffic, crime, and run-down neighborhoods. If anyone is familiar with CA, I lived in the Walnut Creek (Bay area) and Encino (LA) areas. I'm looking for areas comparable to this.

Are there earthquakes in Mesa? Are there lizards and other reptiles running around? Are there lots of bugs? Is it a very humid area?

Florida and Alabama are humid. AL has a lizard problem after rain and FL has a serious bug problem all the time. I'm hoping this isn't the same in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
As far as I know, there are no earthquakes in Mesa. First time I've ever heard that question.

You will find lots of lizards and things, Geckos mostly. They don't hurt you. =P

Bugs.. It depends on WHERE you are exactly. You will always have bugs, but, if you live next to a large open plot of land, then you will tend to have more. These can range from ants, to spiders (black widows! YAY.) and scorpions.

We do have humidity. Thats right, it's not ALWAYS a dry heat. But we're typically only humid during the monsoon season. That covers parts of July and August.

Living in the Phoenix area, and not on the outskirts, yes, you will definately have noise. Traffic is a given in this city. **** planners were too narrow minded to start on a public transit system back in the 80's. Crime is another given. And, no matter what city in the valley you visit, there WILL be run-down neighborhoods. Its a mix of old and new, and most cities focus on the new, and just leave the old to decay.

Its a pretty delicate patchwork of areas, some good, some bad.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 PM

117 posts, read 416,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2AZ View Post
Please tell me more about the Mesa or Maricopa County area. Or, tell me what would be the best area for a baby-boomer with Champagne taste and soda (can't even afford beer) budget to live. I'm very open-minded, somewhat of a yuppy (unemployed), full-time grad student, and don't like noise, traffic, crime, and run-down neighborhoods. If anyone is familiar with CA, I lived in the Walnut Creek (Bay area) and Encino (LA) areas. I'm looking for areas comparable to this.

Are there earthquakes in Mesa? Are there lizards and other reptiles running around? Are there lots of bugs? Is it a very humid area?

Florida and Alabama are humid. AL has a lizard problem after rain and FL has a serious bug problem all the time. I'm hoping this isn't the same in AZ.

You will not find anything like Walnut Creek in Arizona, however if you are a yuppie try the Ahwatukee area, SOUTH Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert. You can find some housing in those areas that you can afford.

We did have a small tiny eathquake in I think 1999 felt in the NW part of the valley, but we don't have earthquakes.

If you are interested in Mesa, it's pretty spotty but the Val Vista Lakes area is actually Mesa but it's really in Gilbert. Get yourself a For Rent book and start looking at apartment prices.

I wouldn't worry too much about bugs, I've never had a problem although I do have a monthly bug man. We do have lizards and many of them but they don't bother anyone.

We do have some humidity in the Summer but not too bad.

Crime is spotty too, crime is in the best of areas.

If I could point you to a direction I would say Gilbert. Try and rent yourself a nice little townhouse in the Islands community.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 22,790 times
I have lived in mesa all my life its mostly mexican-americans or illegals except east mesa heading toward apache junction then theres alot of white people.I live on countryclub/8th avenue mostly mexicans couple of white people but thats fine not all mexicans are gangbangers,but there is alot of gangs here,shootings,robberies,gang fights at guerro park,gangs run the park and sell drugs there my aparment has been robbed 3 times this year so avoid this area but some parts are pretty nice

Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 PM

117 posts, read 416,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie13 View Post
I have lived in mesa all my life its mostly mexican-americans or illegals except east mesa heading toward apache junction then theres alot of white people.I live on countryclub/8th avenue mostly mexicans couple of white people but thats fine not all mexicans are gangbangers,but there is alot of gangs here,shootings,robberies,gang fights at guerro park,gangs run the park and sell drugs there my aparment has been robbed 3 times this year so avoid this area but some parts are pretty nice

Like Krayzie says NE Mesa is pretty good, borders Gilbert and is in the Gilbert school district.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 7,075 times
I want to move to Mesa from Niagara Falls, NY. There are some gang bangers here, but it seems worst in Mesa. Is that true? I'm scared of spiders as well...does the city/town/neighborhoods spray to minimize or control bugs in certain area's? I hear North East Mesa is the place to live. Can anyone help me with some insight on living in Mesa? Thanks all!!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I'm not sure why you have particularly selected Mesa, but there are any number of threads here already with all sorts of information on Mesa. You can use the search function above to find them. Are there gangs in Mesa? Yes, there are some gangs in cities all over the Valley. But, there are parts of Mesa, and the northeast part would be the primary one, where you would not find that problem impacting your life in any way.

The city does not spray for bugs. Spiders are really not much of an issue; if you keep your home and yard clean and free of clutter in corners, etc., black widows will likely find a better place to live. You can hire an exterminator to spray periodically.

Good luck to you! If you have more specific questions after reading the threads already here, ask away!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 66,018 times
Mesa is traditionally a Mormon town, and the Mormons in the area were hard-working, nice people who took pride in their homes and families. But Mesa has gone downhill fast. Now it's loaded with crime, drugs, and run-down neighborhoods. My grandmother's 1940's neighborhood went from being family-oriented to scary with shootings, houses packed full of immigrants, and shady characters coming to the door.

However, you can still find pockets of nice neighborhoods with lower crime throughout Mesa. East Mesa is newer and very nice and the schools in that area are good. The rest of Maricopa County is a mix of all kinds of neighborhoods.

Look into Queen Creek, which is south of Mesa. Queen Creek is full of new houses that are clean and inexpensive. The downfall of Queen Creek is that most people have to drive far into work, but if you are not working, then it doesn't matter.

You can find a home with less noise and traffic if you stay in the middle of a neighborhood, away from the major streets.

The lizard population is low, and besides they are harmless. Some homes have more black widows and scorptions, but most homes don't. Spray for the bugs if you see a lot of them and you'll be fine.

Summer can be a little humid, but nothing compared to states in the deep South.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
This thread should probably be in the Phoenix forum.

I would use the "Search" feature at the top of the page, as there are tons and tons of threads on here that would likely answer many of your questions.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
I lived in Walnut Creek and Danville. There is nothing exactly like that here. However, Val Vista Lakes is a lush green community, and by that I mean there is no desert landscape allowed. Everyone has grass and there are plenty of trees.

There is no Mt Diablo here, but there are plenty of mountains for hiking not too far.

Someone mentioned that Val Vista Lakes is in Mesa.
It is in Gilbert, not Mesa. Baseline is the dividing line.

North of Baseline is Mesa
South of Baseline is Gilbert

Val Vista Lakes starts on the south of Baseline at Val Vista Dr and continues south to Guadalupe, east to Greenfield, and west a short distance from Val Vista Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area