Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 54,359 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are in our mid 20's and moving from Chicago to this area. We both have work close to the address below.

2000 E. Clarendon Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85016

Were looking for a 2 bedroom apt in a nice and safe area with local stores for necessities close by. Local nightlife would be a plus but not absolutely necessary.

Found a few in the "Biltmore" area. What areas should I look into and likewise avoid? I have no idea how traffic flows in the area and highways so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to live within a 20 minute commute to the listed address.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM

Were both teachers and looking forward to extreme heat, and no SNOW.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM

7 posts, read 27,096 times
Default Happy to help

First before I do I have to ask a few questions:

1. How much are you willing to spend on rent?
a. how much do you know about A/C (electric bills) in the summer in Arizona?

2. What are absolute HAVEs for your apartment? Pool, shopping, etc.

3. Where will you be working?
a. If you are teachers do you have an established school yet?

4. What are some things that you do not want around your area?

5. What are your preconceived notions about living in Phoenix and the desert?

6. Since you are in your 20's what kind of night life do you want? Every city varies and Tempe for example is EARLY 20's, but Scottsdale is more like late 20's early 30's

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,022,561 times
"Local night life"

Don't you mean where are the cultural activities?

Shouldn't the both of you be more concerned with advancing your educations?

The correct question should be where are the local colleges and universities?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM

First before I do I have to ask a few questions:

1. How much are you willing to spend on rent?

$800-900

a. how much do you know about A/C (electric bills) in the summer in Arizona?

Not much but some apt's pay for utilities. I understand that It would be running basically non-stop.

2. What are absolute HAVEs for your apartment? Pool, shopping, etc.

Pool, and shopping within a few miles

3. Where will you be working?

My first post had our address for place of employment.

a. If you are teachers do you have an established school yet?

Yes, both of us as of yesterday.

4. What are some things that you do not want around your area?

ghettos and heavy crime.

5. What are your preconceived notions about living in Phoenix and the desert?

October through April's weather is amazing. Otherwise its hot hot hot.

6. Since you are in your 20's what kind of night life do you want? Every city varies and Tempe for example is EARLY 20's, but Scottsdale is more like late 20's early 30's

We want local bars, restaurants, or places that would be a reasonable cab ride home. Were late 20's

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731
"Local night life"

Not at the moment. I have my degree, while the GF just finished up her M.S.

N/A

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
The Biltmore area you mentioned would give you what you want... I'm not familiar with rents in the area, but everything else fits. You could also look in the Central Ave area, perhaps more uptown (North of McDowell) than downtown. There's some revitalization in terms of entertainment options going on downtown that you'd have easy access to (including light rail) and it wouldn't be a bad drive to 20th and Clarendon.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,081,050 times
great that you have jobs lined up...

very convenient location for work....the Biltmore area, as said, is very good for what you want....in-town, convenient, lots of action, typically safe....many apartment choices in the area, most older and some newer....may want to stay N of Indian School or so and E of Central (these boundaries are beyond the Biltmore area....).....

if you can, plan to stay at a long-term-stay hotel/motel for a couple or three weeks while you scout apartments, so you can make an unrushed decision....Marriott Residence Inn, Studio 6, Extended Stay America and many other brands....summer rates are cheap here.....

you'll find good grocery shopping and other shopping in the Town and Country and Biltmore shopping centers and many other places along Camelback Rd all the way from Central to 44th St and beyond....this entire area was developed first in the 1940s (appx) and since, so there is older mixed in with newer infill......will be a bit pricier the more north you go in this area, generally

Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 AM

137 posts, read 703,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"Local night life"

So you think that just because they're teachers, they can't go out and party? C'mon now.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja4260 View Post
My girlfriend and I are in our mid 20's and moving from Chicago to this area. We both have work close to the address below.

2000 E. Clarendon Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85016

Were looking for a 2 bedroom apt in a nice and safe area with local stores for necessities close by. Local nightlife would be a plus but not absolutely necessary.

Found a few in the "Biltmore" area. What areas should I look into and likewise avoid? I have no idea how traffic flows in the area and highways so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to live within a 20 minute commute to the listed address.

Thanks!
The Biltmore area is expensive. I think many people are confusing Biltmore with neighboring Camelback East area, which has a lot of businesses containing the Biltmore name, but it's not truly in the Biltmore area. In a nutshell, Biltmore is a Beverly Hills type of enclave situated between approximately 24th Street on the west, 32nd Street on the east, Lincoln on the north, and Camelback on the south.

Camelback East is where you'll find more reasonable rents, but nothing that's really dirt cheap. You'll want to avoid going too cheap because they're usually not in good areas. But most of the area east of the 51 freeway along Camelback and southward to about Thomas is pretty decent. There are pockets of not so nice areas, but just about anything along & near Camelback is ideal. Plus, you have easy access to shopping & dining. Lots of activity around 24th Street/Camelback area.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,063,050 times
Click Here to see some places within 5 miles of Loma Linda Elementary school - 2 bedroom, 2 bath, priced between $700 - $900. The area around 24th St and Camelback (Biltmore) area would fit your needs, I think. Some of the places are older, but the location is great.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put a link like that - guess I'll find out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area