Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 PM

40 posts, read 67,020 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I are once again coming to visit Arizona for a job opportunity for my husband. And I think this time is gonna be it! We lived in Chandler for a little less then a year back in 2005 and love it! We had to move back to Florida for jobs but have been trying to get back ever since. We just love it there! So, my husband is going to be working in Mesa. I have always really liked Gilbert but if we could we would like to live in the city where he works. So, the neighborhoods that have attracted me so far is a master planned community with a good schools (my daughter will be starting school in about a year) So far I have looked into Val Vista Lakes which has great reviews, Power Ranch and Seville. So my question is, are there areas in Mesa like these? I read that NE? ( i think it was) Mesa is the nice part of Mesa. So is it similar to Gilbert as far as low crime, nice neighborhoods, friendly neighbors, Hoa's with lots of activites so my daughter and I can meet some other moms and families in the neighborhood? We will be coming out July 10-15 and plan to look then bc we would only take one other trip out before moving. At first we plan on renting to make sure we like the area for sure. Is it possible to get a nice home 2000+ sq ft with a pool for under 2000.00 a month? In either Mesa or Gilbert? We always look at models homes when we come but since we will be renting and cant look alone should we get a realtor to take us so we can get an idea of the rental market and what we can get for our money? I think my first choice will be Gilbert but feel I have to give Mesa a fair shot too. Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated...thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,830 times
Check out the Las Sendas area of Mesa, zip code 85207. Beautiful neighborhood, but can be pricey. Not sure of your price range?

Rental market here is tough! With so many people loosing their homes to foreclosure they've all gone into the rental market so prices have really gone up. The "good" houses are snatched up in days, if not hours, with multiple applications. If you have pets, it will make it even harder as now landlords can be picky. Send me a private message with your email and I will email you the current rental listings in the MLS so you have a better idea. But don't count on any of them still being available by the time you get here.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks I will check out that zip and I sent you a Pm.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
You can figure a ball park of $0.75/sf for rentals.

Las Sendas in NE Mesa is an excellent community. It backs up to the Usery Mountain and the Tonto National Forest. Most of the homes in there are in gated communities, and they all have desert landscape. It is more like living in the desert than Gilbert is. The views from some of the homes are spectacular. My client bought one a couple months ago up near the top, and has a sweeping 180 degree view of the valley.

The Red Mountain School District at Las Sendas has a very good reputation, and the area is known to be safe. The clubhouse has tennis courts, swimming, and other activities. There is a gym facility that has an extra fee.

Gilbert is more green, like being on a oasis. As you probably already know it has the distinction of being the 5th most safe city in the country.

I live in Val Vista Lakes and am very active in the community. So I can safely say that Val Vista Lakes has the most activities of any HOA in the valley. Swim clubs, tennis clubs, are just a part of the year round activities. The Womens Club is a great way to meet other moms in Val Vista Lakes. They are a great group of ladies, and are very active in the community. Here's their web site: Val Vista Lakes Womens Club.

Once you take a tour of the Val Vista Lakes community and club house, and learn a little more about the activities, then take a tour of Las Sendas, their property and their club house, you'll probably know which area is best suited for you.

Recently, a client of mine loved Val Vista Lakes after I took him on the tour, and was contemplating buying a waterfront home. Then I took him on a tour of Las Sendas and he fell in love with that area with the spectacular views and desert feel. He ended up buying in Las Sendas. So it pays to see these areas and get a feel for them before making a decision.

Last edited by Captain Bill; 06-27-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 AM

240 posts, read 838,094 times
Where in Mesa will your husband be working? Personally I wouldn't want to commute from, say, NE mesa to SW Mesa every weekday, yuck. NE Mesa is nice, sure, but it is also the more expensive area of Mesa, and sometimes the advice seems to be that the more expensive areas are "the" nice areas, when in fact there are other more moderately priced areas that are nice too. Now I'm not saying that NE Mesa isn't nice, same goes for VVL, but just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it is the only game in town. Just something to consider, and oh, there is another HOA around that can certainly rival VVL in terms of having the most activities/clubs.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Where in Mesa will your husband be working? Personally I wouldn't want to commute from, say, NE mesa to SW Mesa every weekday, yuck. NE Mesa is nice, sure, but it is also the more expensive area of Mesa, and sometimes the advice seems to be that the more expensive areas are "the" nice areas, when in fact there are other more moderately priced areas that are nice too. Now I'm not saying that NE Mesa isn't nice, same goes for VVL, but just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it is the only game in town. Just something to consider, and oh, there is another HOA around that can certainly rival VVL in terms of having the most activities/clubs.
Dura, I agree that there are other nice areas of Mesa, and she could benefit from your mentioning the names of them and letting her know if the schools are good and the areas safe.

However, the OP specifically asked about the NE area. There are also some more expensive areas in Mesa than the NE section; such as the area around Val Vista Drive and Brown-McKellips where there are huge homes nestled inside 5 acres of citrus trees.

You mentioned a rival to Val Vista Lakes. I'm always interested in learning about amenities in other communities so I can better serve my clients, so please help me out here.
  • What is the name of the HOA that can rival VVL?
  • What are their amenities?
  • What is the monthly fee?
For comparison purposes, here is the Val Vista Lakes info:

HOA monthly fee is $88.20/month and hasn't increased in two years. It is not likely to increase for 2012.

The fee includes all of the common area maintenance, the parks maintenance, maintenance of the 4 lakes, the clubhouse and parking lot asphalt maintenance, and all the amenities.

Below are the amenities:

Val Vista Lakes $16,000,000 clubhouse
  • weight room,
  • cardio room,
  • 3 handball courts,
  • 2 banquet rooms,
  • meeting/activity rooms
  • executive board room
  • 8 championship tennis courts,
  • tennis Pro Shop,
  • BBQ pit,
  • junior Olympic swimming pool,
  • sand volley ball court, and
  • sandy beach lagoon pool,
  • man-made mountain with scenic waterfalls,
  • drive your boat to the clubhouse and dock it while working out
  • all set on the picturesque Val Vista Lakes waterfront.
  • Womens Club
  • Nifty Fifty's Club
  • Swim team
  • Tennis teams

Year round activities,
Under the direction of a Full Time Clubhouse Recreation Manager:

• Sand castle building contest
  • Youth swim team competition
  • Big band dance
  • Polar bear plunge
  • Chili cook off
  • Personal fitness challenge for all ages
  • Holiday mountain decorated with Christmas lights (a valley wide tourist attraction)
  • Luminary and Christmas hay ride
  • Lighted Christmas boat parade
  • Just to name a few
http://ce95d8c.activerain.com/image_...6809280226.jpg

http://ce95d8c.activerain.com/image_...6822352156.jpg

http://ce95d8c.activerain.com/image_...3357362694.jpg

Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 PM

240 posts, read 838,094 times
Our HOA fees are half of VVL for what seems to be just as many amenities (though different, e.g., we don't polar bear plunge, sounds cold, and we have three rec centers but no $16M clubhouse) but I've sent Bill a private response, as I don't want to have this thread turn into what HOA has more/is better/whatever.

Back on topic, IMO the OP should consider commute times, and expense to be in "the" areas, not saying those areas aren't nice, they are, but there are alternatives. For instance, we have a Young Children's Group that meets every Friday, summer kid camp for 6 to 12 year olds, and our own community preschool. This area's school reviews can be found in my previous posts or from GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Hi, thanks for your replys. I checked out Las Sendas and I like it. My husband will be working for the city of Mesa itself. He is a Police Officer. It seems some houses with pools that are in my price range are older looking or outdated looking. This seems like it is gonna be quite the task bc anything old looking to me I do not like at all and would not even consider. IMO if I had to live in an old outdated house Id rather rent a really nice condo/apt that is a newly built development bc I just cant do old or outdated. It seems most of the houses that suit us r at least at minimum 1900 a month. Are there any other nice communities in NE Mesa or another part of Mesa? I picked NE bc I heard that is the safe part and obviously that is about top on our list of importance. I know there was some talk about what is or isnt considered a nice neighborhood but in all honesty I am very picky and new nice things are what appeals to us. Now we live in a home we bought brand new so to go to something old just wouldnt do. But at the same I realize we wont be able to get exactly what we want due to the fact that when we first move only my husband will be bringing in the income as opposed to both of us like we do here in Fl. so any other communities that are new looking and pleasing to the eye that we could get something between 1500-1700 a month? Hopfully that isnt impossible. We also prefer to be in an hoa home in a community. Sorry if this email is scattered but my 3 yr old is talking in my ear the whole time lol. Thanks for all the info so far!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM

to get an idea we did check out Vistancia and Estrella and really liked them both alot but I realize they r way to far from mesa. Currently my husband drives 50 mins to work one way so anything under 30 mins would be great for him lol

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

is red mountain ranch and mountain bridge in the safe part of mesa? I would like names of any master planned comm. that have good schools and are in a safe area in either mesa or gilbert, or even phoenix if its close enough to mesa or scottsdale that would be in my price range of less than 2000/mo. This way I can compile a list and check them out when we come. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area