Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,785,603 times

Advertisements

I got my NorthCentral News the other day and finally figure out what the sign were about "gas in the neighborhood etc." It appears that they are letting the voters decide if they are going to allow a QT at 44th and Palm, just north of McDowell.
JULY 2011 NORTH CENTRAL NEWS FULL ISSUE

I commend the writer for presenting both sides thoroughly. The only relevant thing she didn't state was the fact that values have already been creamed in that area. Any thoughts?

Last edited by khuntrevor; 07-03-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,404 times
If there weren't a couple of other gas locations nearby, I would say that the public need outweighs the neighborhood's concerns, that gas stations have to go somewhere and that this is a clear case of NIMBY. But, it sounds like there are enough gas stations in that area already, and this is not a good deal for the neighborhood, considering the proximity of the elementary school. I will vote against Prop 2, which allows the QuikTrip.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Some of the people make it sound like that will intrude on their children's play area--It's a very busy street. Also, the guy the financed the whole opposition is the owner of the Chevron down the street, Mr. Rajinder Takhar, and now it's all about the children. I'm voting for it, I like QT, and I don't like vacant property. Competition, Jobs, and Tax Revenue--all are sorely needed by this city.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 07-03-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 06:39 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,000,265 times
Kind of scary that Phoenix entire can dictate what happen in one neighborhood. As for the opposition, people live near gas stations all over. Sounds to me like this Mr. Takhar fears capitalism and does not think he can hold his own against QT (a huge money maker, no doubt).

Old 07-04-2011, 05:11 PM

4360 e palm ln, 85008 - Google Maps

Here is the house across the street on the corner of Palm and 44th St.. You will laugh guaranteed. Not what I would call pride of ownership. Looks more like an auto salvage yard, than a nice neighborhood. They really can't have it both ways.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
If there weren't a couple of other gas locations nearby, I would say that the public need outweighs the neighborhood's concerns, that gas stations have to go somewhere and that this is a clear case of NIMBY. But, it sounds like there are enough gas stations in that area already, and this is not a good deal for the neighborhood, considering the proximity of the elementary school. I will vote against Prop 2, which allows the QuikTrip.
I can't believe something like this is being put on a city wide ballot. If it has to go to the voters, why not limit it to that particular district??? It's just pathetic how these stupid NIMBYs won't stop at anything. They're against freeways, highrises, midrises, stadiums, theme parks, shopping centers ... and now gas stations of all things.

Anyway, vote however you choose, but it's just baffling how anybody can be against capitalism ... espeically something that would actually be an improvement over what is there now. Not that a gas station is aesthetically pleasing, but it's better than a vacant lot. I wish all these NIMBYs would either move out of the city ... or else just put up/shut up!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 PM

It appears that all the NIMBYs were sponsored by the guy that owns the Chevron Station down the street---all in the name of the precious children--as if it is currently a safe place to play in the street.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,704,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
4360 e palm ln, 85008 - Google Maps

Here is the house across the street on the corner of Palm and 44th St.. You will laugh guaranteed. Not what I would call pride of ownership. Looks more like an auto salvage yard, than a nice neighborhood. They really can't have it both ways.
That "bird's eye" view is a hoot! - about 6 houses west of there is a property with 4 cars in the driveway, 3 on the street ( all three are parked illegally, 2 are parked counter to traffic #3 is blocking the drive!) - five more cars in the yard, yet it still has "room for a pool"... and a "jet-ski"...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
It appears that all the NIMBYs were sponsored by the guy that owns the Chevron Station down the street---all in the name of the precious children--as if it is currently a safe place to play in the street.
Exactly! If the owner of the Chevron station is worried about increased competition, then he needs to keep the city/politics out of his personal matters. And using children as a scapegoat is only going to entice me even more to support the proposition allowing construction. Anytime somebody wants to be a bleeding heart and bring in the "poor little precious children" as a resaon to vote for or against something, I always vote the opposite way.

And again, why on earth is this thing going to the entire city of Phoenix for a vote? Shouldn't this be decided on a district level? The only people who likely know anything about this proposed QT would be the ones in or near that particular area ... this is so meaningless to the vast majority of the 1.5 million residents of Phoenix. So why get the entire city involved over some petty neighborhood squabble?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Exactly! If the owner of the Chevron station is worried about increased competition, then he needs to keep the city/politics out of his personal matters. And using children as a scapegoat is only going to entice me even more to support the proposition allowing construction. Anytime somebody wants to be a bleeding heart and bring in the "poor little precious children" as a resaon to vote for or against something, I always vote the opposite way.

And again, why on earth is this thing going to the entire city of Phoenix for a vote? Shouldn't this be decided on a district level? The only people who likely know anything about this proposed QT would be the ones in or near that particular area ... this is so meaningless to the vast majority of the 1.5 million residents of Phoenix. So why get the entire city involved over some petty neighborhood squabble?
I don't know why referenda can't be confined on the ballot to the relevant district, either. Must be something in the charter. And, I can't imagine getting TEN THOUSAND signatures to get this on the ballot (and put up all the signs) without a major funder. Chevron jobbers, indeed. I watched a video about this on the Channel 15 website. I smell a rat. Who's going to build residential on that corner, anyway? QT stores are clean, well-run, etc. I'd want one I could walk to from my house.

Last edited by observer53; 07-06-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area