Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM

22 posts, read 41,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Hoob noone minds if I post my pics from my home on a ranch in south gilbert ocotillo/Val Vista. I rent a mobile home(IMO not a bad rental in a place like AZ where severe weather is rare) And it wouldn't stop shaking. Damn scary.

I went outside for a cig and saw this monster

After getting the dog inside I retreated to the house just as it hit and took this pic from my kitchen window. notice part of the roof on my chicken coop is now gone

10 minutes later the house began to shake violently as the thick dust turned day into night, This pic is out the same kitchen window

The last shot I got my truck getting dirty(thank god it was dirty to begin with ) and a tree getting battered
Thanks for posting the pics. I was surprised by the strength of the storm, but what I was most surpised by was the length of the time it was pure sand and dust in the air. It was about 20 minutes where it was blowing all around us. Everything we have outside was covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
I first heard the word Haboob applied to dust storms in Arizona when I was in elementary school. And that was in Southern California in the 60's. We were having a Santa Ana (high winds) and the teacher was talking about winds and dust storms in other parts of the world.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:31 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,766,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I first heard the word Haboob applied to dust storms in Arizona when I was in elementary school. And that was in Southern California in the 60's. We were having a Santa Ana (high winds) and the teacher was talking about winds and dust storms in other parts of the world.
It's cuz of all these transplants found a cool word to say. We have had these type of dust storms as long as i can remember and I remember a few bad ones. The one last week was big but not a rare one off event.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM

641 posts, read 2,367,158 times
When they were calling it a haboob I was scratching my head. I have been here 30 years and never heard them call it that on the news. Then I changed it to channel 3 where they were still calling it a dust cloud.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,557 times
Well - whatever you call it, it was nasty. I unfortunately was out in it. In the 10 years I've been here all the dust storms have been quick. 20 or 30 minutes tops. You just wait for it to blow over. So like an idiot, I walked out from a meeting into it. It looked like, "eh, another dang dust storm," so I got in my car and started driving West - right into the face of it. I couldn't see the side of the road and was just terrified. That was the tensest half hour I can remember. It was dark, blowing, visibility was about 20 feet. There were about 10 cars all going into it together, so we kind of guided each other. I was never so happy to be home. Got in the house and turned off the AC. Don't want to suck dust into my brand new air conditioner. Next day I went and washed about 50 pounds of dirt off my car. It looked like I'd been off-roading. I went in the next morning and changed out my air filter. It looked like a two-year old had been playing with it in the sandbox.

Of course - right now - this very second, we are in another one (http://www.abc15.com/dpp/weather/wdt_alert/Dust-Storm-Warning_27059424 - broken link)! Heard the wind blowing on the patio and visibility is dropping rapidly. Oh joy. it's going to be THIS kind of summer. But it's a DRY DUST!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,761 times
Yay! We got some rain here in Central Phoenix!

At first, I heard a little tinkling on the window pane; then I thought it must be a hallucination, because it couldn't be real precipitation, like, from clouds and all that! Stupid drip line must have burst another leak, or maybe a troop of prune-eating birds had flown over my house.

And then I opened my front door to confirm my hopes, and started to jump up and down like an idiot, as if I had never seen rain before. I hope none of my neighbors saw me...I got so excited I forgot to put my makeup on.

As for the haboob, I heard the word for the first time up in Denver while traveling last week (I flew out several hours before the storm). Everyone wanted my opinion (there's a first for everything) on the haboob. What's it like to live through a haboob? Is everyone going to get Valley Fever? Will houses disintegrate into sand like in the movie 'The Mummy'? Anyhow, I think people just like saying the word 'haboob' because it almost sounds a bit naughty, doesn't it? I mean, ha-boob and alge-bra. It's obviously a conspiracy to tantalize unsuspecting minds into mammary-worship.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 PM

99 posts, read 259,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
When they were calling it a haboob I was scratching my head. I have been here 30 years and never heard them call it that on the news. Then I changed it to channel 3 where they were still calling it a dust cloud.
I have hard it used before, but usually it isn't used this much.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM

299 posts, read 667,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Thank you teacher - you certainly have impressed me with your knowledge about vocaaaaaaaabulary. I'm well aware that the English language has it's roots in many of the old European languages/dialects. However, using foreign vocabulary needlessly when there are words in our own language to describe the same thing is offensive to me - and whether or not it's offense to YOU matters nearly as much to me as how many grains of sand landed in your yard when the SAND STORM passed over Phoenix earlier in the week .
[mod cut-- rude/personal] Haboob would be the correct term for what occurred last week but each of us has our own way of stating things. Based on the videos I saw of it I would simply call it a dirt storm or a dust blizzard. Most of all I'm glad I wasn't there to experience all that filth. Hope the rest of you enjoy it.

Last edited by observer53; 07-10-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM

99 posts, read 259,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
[mod cut-- rude/personal] Haboob would be the correct term for what occurred last week but each of us has our own way of stating things. Based on the videos I saw of it I would simply call it a dirt storm or a dust blizzard. Most of all I'm glad I wasn't there to experience all that filth. Hope the rest of you enjoy it.
It truly was a mess afterwards. The duration of the dust and soot swirl lasted a really long time. I had to spray off a lot of things, plants, cars, the house, the sidewalk, bushes. I am not going to be happy about my upcoming water bill.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
It truly was a mess afterwards. The duration of the dust and soot swirl lasted a really long time. I had to spray off a lot of things, plants, cars, the house, the sidewalk, bushes. I am not going to be happy about my upcoming water bill.
"Soot swirl" ??? You washed off your HOUSE? Please. Wasting water, indeed, if you actually did. Getting the leaves of plants and bushes wet in the summer heat is often a bad idea, BTW. The dust won't hurt them.

The exaggerations on threads like this one really are a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area